DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:39 AM, RIPPA said:

I’ve also heard there isn’t much... well... horror

It's mostly suspense and not the sort of horrific suspense you'd see from something like Silence of the Lambs.

And yeah, I've gotten the impression that Octavia Spencer goes full lunatic and carries this movie on her back.

Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark full trailer (warning, it looks to give away most of the movie)

These books and Stephen Gammell's art were a seminal part of my childhood, but I felt like I just watched an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?

29 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Have to ask, is there any Gammell art in the trailer? Just want to know if I can click on it or not haha

Spoiler

There's quite a few shots of Harold the scarecrow, the spider bite, and the "where's my toe" person, plus a few other very quick suggestions of other pieces.

There is part of me that hopes parents do no research into the movie and stupidly think OH! IT IS A KID'S MOVIE!!!

Traumatize another generation

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

There is part of me that hopes parents do no research into the movie and stupidly think OH! IT IS A KID'S MOVIE!!!

Traumatize another generation

I mean, that's exactly what should happen. Those books, and those orange hardcover "The Monsters" books are what got me into horror growing up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

those orange hardcover "The Monsters" books

YES. Those were hugely important to me at the very beginning of grade school. 

The Scary Stories books were too, but the art was just too much. My breaking point was the illustration of the woman in "The Dream" which still haunts me. I haven't seen it in decades and it still won't leave me alone. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

YES. Those were hugely important to me at the very beginning of grade school. 

The Scary Stories books were too, but the art was just too much. My breaking point was the illustration of the woman in "The Dream" which still haunts me. I haven't seen it in decades and it still won't leave me alone. 

The Haunt from The Haunted House was the image that scared the shit out of my sister so much as a kid that to this day, she won't go anywhere near the "Children's" section of the Matoaca bracnh of the State Public Library.

The funny thing is that The Haunted House is a very sad story and it is an excellent ghost story told in a very traditional, Gothc manner. 

The apparition just wants to be avenged so that it can rest in peace.  The poltergeist activity is it's means of communication.  It doesn't want to frighten or harm anyone.  It isn't malevolent in any way.  The spirit of the unnamed dead woman even rewards the pastor that found justice for her.

Edited by J.T.

I can't believe that I've never seen it. Must've passed on it a thousand times at the video store. Now's my chance, I guess. 

Even more interesting is the hours upon hours of making-of footage they have for these movies. How they're gonna edit down the amount of Braindead material is beyond me.

EDIT: This whole project is a neat coincidence because I was talking with a friend the other day about Meet the Feebles and he said it's never had a DVD release -- ever. Which is mind-boggling.

Edited by Curt McGirt

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Heavenly Creatures was all kinds of fucking crazy. I think it was a DVDVR Movie Club discussion pick at one point.

The Frighteners was - I am not sure if Heavenly Creatures was

4 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

But.....I have a copy of Meet the Feebles on DVD. Doesn't seem like it's a bootleg, either. The quality isn't great (from what I remember, as I haven't watched it in years), but it is definitely on DVD.

Huh. I guess my friend is wrong, though he's the type that could blow up the collector's page on here, so I thought he had to be right. Bet it is a boot though.

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Frighteners was - I am not sure if Heavenly Creatures was

For some reason, maybe old man haze, I seem to recall Burgundy and I being a part of a discussion about the movie.  It may or may not have been related to the Movie Club, but I want to say that it was.

Finally saw Alien on the big screen last night. This has been an ongoing thing for me; my first opportunity to see it was when I was 19 and since then there's been at least two other showings I missed, so I wasn't letting this happen again (even though I rewatched it not a month ago). Unfortunately it wasn't the director's cut but hey, you take what you can get. Seeing it yet again underlined that unlike many movie monsters, the Xenomorph seems to get scarier the more you see it. Every glimpse gives you a new physical feature to be revolted by. Stan Winston was a national treasure but man, he really screwed the pooch on the creature design in Aliens. They just weren't scary. Maybe that has to do with the tone of the film, I dunno. Also, the whole cast deserved Oscars for this movie. Veronica Cartwright being the only one to get one is weird. 

• Like 2