DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Lodge

They had me at Hammer.

Holy fuck, there sure have been a lot more horror movies making it to the indie film festivals these days.

Well, I finally got around to watching Excision.  It's been in my Xfinity Streampix queue for weeks now.

It isn't so much a horror movie as it is a really dark comedy that just happens to have a lot of blood in it. 

I was surprised to see how stacked the cast was (John Waters?  Ray Wise? Marlee Matlin? MALCOLM MCDOWELL??) and Traci Lords (yeah, THAT Traci Lords) turned in a STELLAR performance as the mother of the main character, Pauline, played by AnnaLynne McCord who ABSOLUTELY KILLS in this role both figuratively and literally.

The coming of age movie wrapped in sinister trappings is nothing new (Carrie, Donnie Darko, Let The Right One In) but this one is particularly sadistic and disturbing.  I'm still processing my final thoughts about this movie but overall, I thought it was pretty good.

I tend to really enjoy these sorts of movies (if I can make it through the gore) as they reinforce my firm belief that human beings always make the best monsters. 

You can chose not to believe in vampires or werewolves, but you cannot disbelieve in the nice young man who lives two doors down from your apartment who just happens to have a impressive collection of severed heads in his fridge.

Ghost may or man not be real.  Jack The Ripper was very real.

There is lots of splatter shock scenes in this joint so if that is not your thing, I'd sit this one out.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

Well, I finally got around to watching Excision.  It's been in my Xfinity Streampix queue for weeks now.

I watched that like two years ago. And I'm really not a horror guy. I'm pretty shocked that I saw it so much earlier than the board's number one horror advocate.

• Haha 1

I was torn on whether to post this in the BluRay/physical media thread or here.

I chose here.

Finally cracked open my copy of Arrow's Horror Express and it was great.

The best this film will likely ever look.

The disc is packed with interviews that move along pretty quick.

I'm honestly not sure when I became a fan of this film.

My faulty memory wants me to believe I saw this on an old b/w tv in the late 70s, but it was more likely seeing it hosted by Elivra in the early 80s.

This film is also one that I have owned numerous versions of over the years.

• Like 1

I have the Severin blu.  I'm reluctant to double dip but I'm glad this film has very good physical media representation.  A great film.

Edited by nate

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:16 PM, AxB said:

I watched that like two years ago. And I'm really not a horror guy. I'm pretty shocked that I saw it so much earlier than the board's number one horror advocate.

It's been on my OnDemand Queue of Shame for a while now and I have just been putting it off to the point where my old man memory failed and I forgot about it and then I remember that it was on The List whenever I was bored and scanned through the Streampix folder looking for something to watch since I hate normal television.

Edited by J.T.

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Now seeing that William Jackson Harper is in it I am now convinced this is a Good Place spinoff

ARGH~!

This is why I am avoiding the trailer.

Well I say that just because of him being present in the movie not because of what happened.

I mean not wanting to know the cast would seem a little odd.

But yeah - it gives away WAY more than the original trailer though

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well I say that just because of him being present in the movie not because of what happened.

I mean not wanting to know the cast would seem a little odd.

But yeah - it gives away WAY more than the original trailer though

Yeah, but Harper being in the cast just gels my musings about the true theme of the movie.

Watching the full trailer will probably confirm my suspicions, so I will avoid it like the plague.

I am genuinely frightened by this.

Chris Rock is teaming with Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures for a fresh reimagining on the next Saw movie. The comedy multi-hyphenate has written a story which is being adapted by Pete Goldfinger and Josh Stolberg, and Rock will also executive produce.

10 hours ago, nate said:

Saw that in Facebook, passed it off as an Onion article until I saw it more places.  Sweet lord.

Yeah, I also assumed it was some sort of prank until I saw the article at IMDB.

I thought for sure this had to be related to some sort of horror movie spoof like one of the Scary Movie joints or Rapture-Palooza, but this is a serious thing.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, I also assumed it was some sort of prank until I saw the article at IMDB.

I thought for sure this had to be related to some sort of horror movie spoof like one of the Scary Movie joints or Rapture-Palooza, but this is a serious thing.

Well, Danny McBride turned in a decent Halloween installment, and Jordan Peele has directed two critically acclaimed horror pieces, it only makes sense that the Saw franchise's next evolution should come from MC Gusto.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, nate said:

Well, Danny McBride turned in a decent Halloween installment, and Jordan Peele has directed two critically acclaimed horror pieces, it only makes sense that the Saw franchise's next evolution should come from MC Gusto.

When you put it that way....

... unless you're just being SARCASTIC~!

I am just afraid I'll be roped into watching it out of morbid curiosity.  I've already seen the franchise to the end just to see Hoffman get his and now there is new bullshit on the horizon that I will go see out of OCD and I will hate myself for it.

Edited by J.T.

51 minutes ago, J.T. said:

When you put it that way....

... unless you're just being SARCASTIC~!

I am just afraid I'll be roped into watching it out of morbid curiosity.  I've already seen the franchise to the end just to see Hoffman get his and now there is new bullshit on the horizon that I will go see out of OCD and I will hate myself for it.

I stopped at Saw 6.  I was of the mindset that Saw would work best as a social commentary, since 6 was geared a bit toward the medical insurance issue of the time.  Kinda like how George Romero used his "Living Dead" films.

Then "Jigsaw" happened.  I convinced myself to stop at 6.  But I'm with you ... morbid curiosity is a strong motivator.

• Like 1

Jigsaw was significantly better than most of the others. One of the late sequels was randomly way better than it should've been, but I'll be damned if I can remember which. Maybe that was 6, with the healthcare stuff? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Brian Fowler