Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Dolfan in NYC

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Recommended Posts

Whoops.  @RIPPA didn't start a new thread for this year.  Well, just remember which admin loves you more. 

US 

Reposted this here because this will be the apex of this thread.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have Netflix and haven't seen Bird Box yet, SHAME ON YOU~!!

iT IS TOTALLY FUCKING GREAT~!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, this comes out on Valentine's Day!

There is no way my boo will go see it with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Whoops.  @RIPPA didn't start a new thread for this year.  Well, just remember which admin loves you more. 

US 

Reposted this here because this will be the apex of this thread.  

Do not read any interviews with Jordan Peele where he talks about the movie because he will spoil nearly EVERYTHING~!

Especially avoid the JORDAN PEELE BREAKS DOWN THE US TRAILER vids like the plague.

That is a warning from my cousin who works as an Entertainment reporter for a news website in Los Angeles.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not watching anything, including any further trailers until they start popping up on TV and become inevitable. In fact I'm not even watching that trailer again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason Goes to Hell is on Netflix, and I've gotten my wife to watch everything through Manhatten over several Halloweens, so I said "I don't want to pay for this shit later, you wanna watch this so we can get it over with. To my surprise she said "Sure."

I probably have only seen it twice. Once when it came out and again in college maybe 15 years ago.

All I remember is that it sucked and indeed it is fucking awful. What stood out to me this time was how fucking terrible the score was. It's still Harry Manfredini who did most of the originals, but it's like he pressed "Horn" on his Casio and just laid on it. It's a similar idea as the originals but it doesn't fit at all. It sounds like the music you'd hear in an old RPG when the evil wizard invades the castle and you have to quickly navigate it to save the princess.

I've heard people say Creighton Duke is the best part - sorry he's corny as fuck. None of it makes sense. "I think of a little girl in a pink dress putting a hot dog in a donut"? What the fuck does that even mean bro? 

The best part is the opening scene, when it smartly plays on all the conventions of the past films only to subvert them. Unfortunately, by having it be an SWAT team operation, they discovered this cool premise leads to a Jason movie NO ONE WANTS TO SEE.

And what the fuck is this weak Harold Ramis dude in the letterman jacket? What sport does he play? How old is this guy? Which producer is he related to? 

There are so many bad movies that I enjoy. I rarely hate on movies because I can usually find something to enjoy in regards to their awfulness. But this is truly dreadful.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason Goes To Hell is my least favorite F13 installment.  It is bad beyond all belief.

16 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I've heard people say Creighton Duke is the best part - 

This is easily the best part of Jason Goes To Hell because it is so stupid and senselessly random and yet so disturbing.

This scene being the "best part" in a movie this awful is a low bar to hurdle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

- Rob Zombie's follow up to The Devil's Rejects entitled 3 From Hell still does not have a release date although it is still slated for 2019.  Zombie still maintains that the movie is NOT a prequel.

- In Stephen King news, the film adaptation of Doctor Sleep (Stephen King's sequel to The Shining) and IT!: Chapter Two are both in the stages of post production.  Doctor Sleep is slated for a 2020 release and IT!:  Chapter Two is due by Later Summer or Fall 2019.

- The film adaptation of the Nickelodeon series, Are You Afraid of the Dark, is now in pre-production.

- Max Landis is still teasing a Ghostbusters 2016 reimaging of his father's horror classic, An American Werewolf in London, featuring women in the roles of David (David Naughton) and (Jack) Griffin Dunne.  Someone should probably remind Max that his idea is not new.  The loose sequel to Landis's landmark film aka 1997's An American Werewolf In Paris featured Julie Delpy as a female werewolf and it was a pretty lousy movie.

Horror news from various feeds.

I really do need to turn down the volume for the alerts tone on my smart phone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason Goes to Hell is so fucking bad. But if you watch the opening sequence then cut straight to the last ten seconds, it's a hell of a short film.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Jason Goes to Hell is so fucking bad. But if you watch the opening sequence then cut straight to the last ten seconds, it's a hell of a short film.

I enjoyed JGTH. It was a different take on the Friday the 13th franchise. I'll definitely defend it over Jason Takes Manhattan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I enjoyed JGTH. It was a different take on the Friday the 13th franchise. I'll definitely defend it over Jason Takes Manhattan.

Jason Takes Manhattan is dull, insipid, sanitized and useless.

It's worlds better than JGtH

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Bird Box (2018) over the weekend. 

The first 15 or so minutes were reminiscent of the Dawn of the Dead reboot. 

But as soon as the group get holed up, I was ready for a volcano to open up and end our misery. 

Gary was spotted coming down Broadway, and I was on the verge of cutting this film some slack when the drawings came out, but they whiffed on the follow through. 

I have no qualms with any performance as they were all good, but the story was the letdown. 

5.5/10 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Watched Bird Box (2018) over the weekend. 

The first 15 or so minutes were reminiscent of the Dawn of the Dead reboot. 

But as soon as the group get holed up, I was ready for a volcano to open up and end our misery. 

Gary was spotted coming down Broadway, and I was on the verge of cutting this film some slack when the drawings came out, but they whiffed on the follow through. 

I have no qualms with any performance as they were all good, but the story was the letdown. 

5.5/10 

I thought it was intriguing because it reminded me a lot of A Quiet Place in that you have all of these people adjusting their lifestyles to adapt to the deadly qualities of the monsters.

Unlike A Quiet Place, I really could not find any characters I could relate to or sympathize with, so some of the action really dragged on and I felt it was a bit cheap to infuse tension into the story via putting child characters in constant peril. 

That is the danger of making a post-apocalypse movie too bleak.  Same reason I didn't particularly care for The Road even though some of my friends continue to rave over it.

I would rate it a 7.5/10.  It's definitely worth watching and it is a pretty good movie drawn from an otherwise slightly above average novel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, J.T. said:

I thought it was intriguing because it reminded me a lot of A Quiet Place in that you have all of these people adjusting their lifestyles to adapt to the deadly qualities of the monsters.

Unlike A Quiet Place, I really could not find any characters I could relate to or sympathize with, so some of the action really dragged on and I felt it was a bit cheap to infuse tension into the story via putting child characters in constant peril. 

That is the danger of making a post-apocalypse movie too bleak.  Same reason I didn't particularly care for The Road even though some of my friends continue to rave over it.

I would rate it a 7.5/10.  It's definitely worth watching and it is a pretty good movie drawn from an otherwise slightly above average novel.

I can only suspend my disbelief for so long and it went over the line.

I would be pleased if I could find a GPS that would allow me to drive with no windows cleared like they did in the film, because mine is like a couple of seconds off and I would wind up in a ditch/wall/river.

It should be seen, but it's nowhere near as epic as the hype made it out to be.

Much like The Haunting of Hill House, but that's another story.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

 

Giving him some horror movie advice would mean subscribing to Baron's Twitter feed.  Not sure if I really want to do that.

Now.... maybe if he were a DVDVR board member and came to this thread to talk all things scary....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I can only suspend my disbelief for so long and it went over the line.

I would be pleased if I could find a GPS that would allow me to drive with no windows cleared like they did in the film, because mine is like a couple of seconds off and I would wind up in a ditch/wall/river.

Well, they did make it a point to show that they were driving very slow to account for GPS signal lag, but vehicle proximity sensors are not supposed to work in the manner prescribed in the movie. 

For the most part, prox sensors are mounted on mirrors and near the rear signal lights because they are for blind spot protection and not as a means to allow you to drive your car with the windows covered.

In order to use them properly, you have to be able to see the environment around you, so that plan would be totally ineffective against ephemeral creatures that can drive you insane if you see them.

I rolled my eyes a lot during that scene despite the tension. 

I kept thinking to myself, "The grocery store does not seem to be that far away.  Why didn't they just try to fucking walk there blindfolded BEFORE all of their food ran out?  They have a car with a GPS, so they more or less have a map to use to study the route before they make the trip.  They have a shotgun for defense.  You don't even need to be accurate to kill something with it.  Just fire in the direction of the noise. They don't have to be scared of the monsters attacking them because they don't kill you with physical violence"

Of course, in the face of the end of humanity, I am not sure if I would be capable of that much rational thought.  I might become a lizard brained savage like the people in the movie and only be concerned about my own survival.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 6:33 AM, The Natural said:

49345139_10205447513463591_5067596311566

Don't look at the snuffleupagus ...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Holy fuck.

May 25th of this year will mark the 40th anniversary of the release of:

Alien_movie_poster.jpg

I am old.

Fathom Events is showing the Director's Cut in theaters this October, but I may have to host a viewing party at my crib on the actual day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 10:05 AM, jaedmc said:

All I remember is that it sucked and indeed it is fucking awful. What stood out to me this time was how fucking terrible the score was. It's still Harry Manfredini who did most of the originals, but it's like he pressed "Horn" on his Casio and just laid on it. It's a similar idea as the originals but it doesn't fit at all. It sounds like the music you'd hear in an old RPG when the evil wizard invades the castle and you have to quickly navigate it to save the princess.

Oh Jae, thank you so so much for pointing that out. I've tried, practically begged myself to enjoy the stupidity of that movie for so many years. But that... fucking... soundtrack...

What bothers me the worst is that the director did an interview with Daily Grindhouse and he seems like a decent, enthusiastic guy with some bright ideas. But not a single one of them came off. Plus they spent the entire interview basically fellating the film when it deserves to be burned and buried.

And that... fuUUUUUUUUUCKing... soundtrack...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 11:23 AM, J.T. said:

Jason Goes To Hell is my least favorite F13 installment.  It is bad beyond all belief.

This is easily the best part of Jason Goes To Hell because it is so stupid and senselessly random and yet so disturbing.

This scene being the "best part" in a movie this awful is a low bar to hurdle.

Call me crazy, but I like Jason Goes to Hell. I liked the idea of Jason's spirit being able to transfer bodies until he can be reborn through another Voorhees. Plus, the appearance of the Necronomicon leading to the theory that Jason was a Deadite. Freddy pulling Jason's mask down into hell was the perfect ending. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-boris-karloff-bela-lugosi-collection?product_id=7039

Quote

Horror icons Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi created some of the most memorable performances in cinematic history. Their unforgettable performances as Dracula and Frankenstein's monster terrified a generation of moviegoers and when these two legendary actors came together for a series of films in the 1930s, audiences could not get enough. This collection includes The Black Cat (1934), The Raven, The Invisible Ray and Black Friday.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Call me crazy, but I like Jason Goes to Hell. I liked the idea of Jason's spirit being able to transfer bodies until he can be reborn through another Voorhees. Plus, the appearance of the Necronomicon leading to the theory that Jason was a Deadite. Freddy pulling Jason's mask down into hell was the perfect ending. 

You're crazy. That movie fucking sucked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The positive to Jason Goes to Hell is that it tries something different. It decides from the get go that this movie is going to leave the campers behind and create a story around WHY Jason continues to live, movie after movie.  The Necronimicon isn't actually explored and you could blink and miss it completely. It's only a bit of trivia you learn later that this was the intention.

I think it's cool that someone took a franchise, after 8 movies, and said "fuck it let's get nuts." I like those kind of guts, and there's not much of them in Hollywood filmmaking anymore.

The unfortunate part is that nearly every moment between the opening scene and Freddy's glove showing up, is terrible. Guts are one element, and for that I can appreciate the attempt. Execution is another and this movie lacks it in nearly every aspect.

At least Jason Takes Manhattan had some cute cast members. And one of the best deaths in the entire series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×