DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

The Outsider.

Based on the best-selling novel by Stephen King,

Series premiere on January12 at 9pm on HBO and IIRC it will be a ten episode run.

The list of episode directors is intriguing with Jason Bateman (yeah, that Jason Bateman) and Karyn Kusama helming a lot of the content.

Should be a decent ride.

Edited by J.T.

The Trailer for A Quiet Place 2 is dropping New Year's Day

@Curt McGirt will be infuriated

And the basic marketing of the movie already shows that if you haven't seen the first one there is zero percent chance you will be able to remain spoiler free

• Haha 1

Well, A Quiet Place is on the Epix rotation, so folks that used to have Starz! should have access to the Epix On Demand queue now that the Starz! Networks a la carte channels have been shitcanned.

Re: The Outsider

So Michael Bluth has a Dark Half doppelganger? I haven't paid attention to any Stephen King since... fuck... Everything's Eventual (which I never finished) so I have no clue if the book was any good. 

Re: A Quiet Place 2 

Hahaha... Water off a duck's back over here. I await this to tank and then them to remake the original in five years, because all semi-original ideas in Hollywood must be flogged until they are vapor to eke every last red cent out of them nowadays.

• Haha 1

I was hoping that the Quiet Place sequel would follow another family or another group somewhere rather than continue the story of the family in the original. I want to see how more of the world is dealing with this, not this same family who already figured out how to defeat the creatures.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:57 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Re: The Outsider

So Michael Bluth has a Dark Half doppelganger? I haven't paid attention to any Stephen King since... fuck... Everything's Eventual (which I never finished) so I have no clue if the book was any good. 

It's not peak level King but it's a good read. It has a lot of ties to the Mr Mercedes series of books so I get the feeling they may have to change some things around for the middle portion of the story.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 5:54 PM, Curt McGirt said:

http://oh-the-horror.com/page.php?id=2384

Black Christmas may be better than I expected, especially if people like the guy in the comments section react to it as such

I went to see it on Saturday.  It is not an instant classic, but you won't feel like you wasted your matinee money.

It was only a matter of time until there was a Me Too movement revenge horror movie.  It was like I Spit On Your Grave only tasteful and watchable.

I am struggling to figure out what white man pissed off director Sophia Takal or the producers of this movie that the damsel in distress / romantic interest for our Caucasian heroine (Imogen Poots) was an erudite young black man (Caleb Ebernhardt)..

They did make for a cute couple, though.

If you are going to bother to go see it, stay for the post credit scene.

Edited by J.T.

Some fun trivia I just read on Daily Grindhouse

Around 1986, Olivia Hussey met Steve Martin for a role in ROXANNE, and Martin said “Oh my God Olivia, you were in one of my all time favorite films”. Hussey assumed it was her breakout role in ROMEO AND JULIET – but she was surprised to find out it was BLACK CHRISTMAS! Martin claimed he had seen it over 20 times!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I have a new found respect for Steve Martin.

Steve Martin is one of the coolest fuckers walking the face of the Earth. The dude walked away from a multi-million dollar film and tv career because he'd rather play bluegrass. Not my thing, but I respect the hell out of the guy for doing what he loves and saying "fuck the money". 

Extra points for "King Tut", which remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Edited by OSJ
  • Like 2

On 12/18/2019 at 2:01 PM, RIPPA said:

The Trailer for A Quiet Place 2 is dropping New Year's Day

@Curt McGirt will be infuriated

And the basic marketing of the movie already shows that if you haven't seen the first one there is zero percent chance you will be able to remain spoiler free

I have seen the teaser trailer and it is indeed super spoilerific:

Spoiler

It's a shot of Evelyn, Regan, and Marcus leaving their home to go on the road.  Evelyn's foot is bound to keep her nail wound covered.

Noticeably absent from the trailer is the father so I guess everyone will know that the dad did not make it.

In defense of the trailer:

Spoiler

There is no sign of any of the sound hunting aliens / monsters, so at least they're still keeping tight lipped about what the critters look like for folks that haven't seen the first movie.

Edited by J.T.

I just remembered they played that Romeo and Juliet in my high school. There was fast forwarding involved obviously. We also got to see the Leo version which I thought was awesome and totally OTT, I wonder if it holds up. 

I've told the Sleepy Hollow school story on here before but also remembered we got to see Cleopatra in junior high! That social studies teacher had a lot of suspicions about him...

So, while I was sick with an upper respiratory infection over the weekend, I fired up Tubi and watched Last Shift (2014) and The ABCs of Death (2012) and I also watched mother! (2017) on Epix.

The Wailing (2016) was added to Tubi yesterday, so I need to find two and a half hours to check that out as well.

The Wailing was really really really good and very heartbreaking. 

Not surprising, the RT% for the Grudge reboot is like 14%.  Watch the original for free while it's still on Tubi.

Oh, well.  At least there's Underwater coming out next week.