DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Limited Releases coming in December.

In Fabric (Dec. 6)

Totally stoked for this.  I cannot think of an A24 art house horror joint that I haven't enjoyed.  I'll finally get to check out The Lighthouse this weekend.

Daniel Isn't Real (Dec. 6)

I actually suspect this will show up on Shudder at the same time of the LTR.

Rabid (Dec 13) aka the OTHER CM Punk horror film.

Yes, it is a reimage of the David Cronenberg / Marilyn Chambers classic and I am not terribly impressed by the trailer..  I think there is a reason this slipped under my radar aka it will suck.

Edited by J.T.

It got reviewed back during the festival period and as I recall they said it was okay but it has the same problems the other Soska sisters movies have had. From the trailer I noted the Dead Ringers and Shivers rips so it might at least be fun.

What would be really funny, esp. given his rep, would be Punk being Patient Zero in that one instead.

• Like 1

Not really sure where to put this, but I settled on the Horror thread since it is technically a zombie movie. I just watched Cargo on Netflix and really quite enjoyed it. I like the world it set up and liked how Martin Freeman played his part and what his character did and went through. I just liked the whole thing. May be up there towards the top of my new favorite zombie flicks.

• Like 1

It looks like the broadcast part of the EPIX preview is done, but I can still access Epix On Demand.   Hopefully it will be around for a while because I just saw that GANJA & HESS~! is in the queue along with a shit ton of ofd school schlock classics.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 2:20 AM, J.T. said:

It looks like the broadcast part of the EPIX preview is done, but I can still access Epix On Demand.   Hopefully it will be around for a while because I just saw that GANJA & HESS~! is in the queue along with a shit ton of ofd school schlock classics.

You mentioning Ganja & Hess, which is on Prime, reminded me that Amazon Prime members have a 50% off for 3 months promotion for a bunch of different streaming services including Shudder.

It's supposedly only for new customers, but YMMV.

I got the Shudder freeview a couple years back and never watched anything, so I can't comment either way.

BTW, Ganja & Hess is a great flick.

• Like 1

The On Demand part of the EPIX preview died the day after my post.  I did not get to catch Ganga & Hess.

I had no idea it was on Amazon Prime.  Good since I just signed up to watch the upcoming season of The Expanse.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Can't believe this thread was almost buried. Anyway, to keep it from that, here's a reminder for me to watch this. 

It's the holiday season and traditionally it's pretty quiet on the horror scene around this time of year.  If Christmas weren't in the title of Black Christmas, it probably wouldn't have come out in December.   

When there was such as thing as the Dump Months, I'd have expected a movie the "quality" of Black Christmas to come out the first week of February.

Daniel Isn't Real is available for digital download now.  I need to check and see if I can Redbox it.

Here is the trailer for Antebellum starring Janelle Monet, Eric Lange, and Jenna Malone.

Directed by Gerald Bush and Chris Renz.  

Pending release date is April 24th, 2020.

Curse II: The Bite is now on Comet. I just watched a man bitten by a radioactive snake, who's arm has turned into a giant snake, reach his snake-arm down a deputy's throat and pull out his heart while Bo Svenson was taking a piss. Yes indeed. 

Which reminds me, in the stakes of "Video Covers That Spooked You As A Kid", this one ranked up there pretty high: 

p6327_v_v8_aa.jpg

• Like 1

Yay!  Remember when I was sad about not being able to explore the Epix horror queue?

Well, it turns out that Xfinity has reduced the number of Starz! a la carte channels and is working out a deal with Starz! to keep the remaining channel in their line-up.

In order to compensate viewers for the shake-up, people who have subscribed to Starz! are now getting the Epix channels without extra cost!

Watched Terrifier on Netflix over the weekend. Will spoiler box my thoughts just in case:

Spoiler

As it began, I enjoyed the throwback grindhouse 70's stylization it was going for. By the end, the gore got to be excessive and I wonder the point of it all. I'm not sure exactly what to think of it. I thought the kills - especially slicing that one girl in half as she was hanging upside down - were creative. But......what ultimately was the point of the flick? Just a showcase for gruesome and graphic kills? Let's see how far we can go? Now, this is not to say I wasn't entertained or that I hated it. I didn't. I kind of liked it. But by the end, everybody is dead and the clown is a supernatural being that can't be killed? I mean, I'm still thinking about it a couple days later, so I guess that's something. I dunno. Guess I'm interested in other's thoughts on it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

New Black Christmas is no classic or anything, but I enjoyed myself.

Good because I think my daughter and I may be checking that out on Saturday since I have failed as a father and she is not really interested in seeing a Star Wars movie.  I will have to go see Rise of Skywalker on the solo creep on Sunday.

At least she likes horror films so I know that there is some of my DNA in there somewhere.

Edited by J.T.

21 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Watched Terrifier on Netflix over the weekend. Will spoiler box my thoughts just in case:

Reveal hidden contents

Agreed. I was into the first 15 minutes or so, then I was like "Why is this still going on?" I'm assuming budget constraints was a major factor in limiting their story to "people keep showing up to the warehouse we rented out so we can do all these kills". It's done well, so I'm kinda hopeful for the sequel. Even though the first wasn't great, there was a little bit of DIY charm.

• Like 2

The Grudge remake and Underwater are both getting a lot of commercials at night so I guess they're dumping those before the traditional dumping season. Underwater looks like a total Alien ripoff. What you can see of the monsters in the extremely murky underwater bits even look like Xenomorphs. 

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Grudge remake and Underwater are both getting a lot of commercials at night so I guess they're dumping those before the traditional dumping season. Underwater looks like a total Alien ripoff. What you can see of the monsters in the extremely murky underwater bits even look like Xenomorphs. 

Yeah, the dumping season now seems to run from post-Christmas season at the end of December to the middle of February.

It used to run from New Year's Day to early march until fucking blockbuster movies started being released around Valentine's Day.

There is also a little dumping season at the end of September that almost bumps into Halloween.  I guess someone figured out that if you're going to dump a horror movie, it may as well be around the time when horror movies are popular and your shit may actually make some money.

Edited by J.T.