DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The last one I remember is Chevy Chase, or whoever played the Invisible Man We Can't Call The Invisible Man in that one movie (it was like Kevin Bacon or somebody)

I am assuming you mean Hollow Man (regarding the one with Kevin Bacon).

There were a lot of good looking people in that movie

58 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The last one I remember is Chevy Chase, or whoever played the Invisible Man We Can't Call The Invisible Man in that one movie (it was like Kevin Bacon or somebody)

Yeah, I was about to say that this movie may as well be called Hollow Man 3.

The only thing that makes me feel good about that thing is that Leigh Whannell is at the helm.   Dude knows his scary shit.

I also see they snagged Oliver Jackson-Cohen (Faster, Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House) to be the titular villain.  I like that dude.

Edited by J.T.

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Another horror that establishes someone is evil by having them rape someone

or molest someone.  

The Wikipedia article on Hollow Man details the rape but neglects to mention that invisible pervert Sebastian Caine also fondles the breasts of the female veterinary scientist while she's asleep.

That movie really does have more icky parts in it than I'd like to remember.

Edited by J.T.

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Hollow Man was directed by Paul Verhoeven so you can make plenty of assumptions just from that.

It's hard to believe that the same guy was in the director's chair for Robocop and Total Recall was also in the chair for Showgirls and Hollow Man...… or maybe it's not that hard to believe?

On 10/27/2019 at 11:09 AM, FluffSnackwell said:

I tapped out of Joe Bob's Halloween Hootenanny halfway through Halloween 5 to watch my new Blu-ray of Unmasked Part 25 instead. It was right after that daring three .....count 'em three jump scare barn scene. 

I would like a take on Unmasked.  I'm making my Black Friday VS list.

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Shivers was on so I basically watched it right from the start. That damn thing is 44 (yes, FORTY FOUR) years old and it still packs a punch. 

The strange thing about Romero's Zombie epics and a lot of Cronenberg's body horror joints is that they are politically timeless.

Also - since the TV series is doing well enough, Bloody Disgusting says that their will be another Scream movie

It is a little unclear if it will be tied into the TV show or if it will just be a reboot/remake of the movies

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Per The Wrap - The seventh Paranormal Activity is set to hit theaters on March 19, 2021.

Ugh.

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Also - since the TV series is doing well enough, Bloody Disgusting says that their will be another Scream movie

It is a little unclear if it will be tied into the TV show or if it will just be a reboot/remake of the movies

Spyglass is making a Scream movie and they're also remaking Hellraiser. 

Spyglass's parent company, Lantern, wants to do something with the Dimension Films licenses they bought when Weinstein's' fuckwittery shitcanned the company before someone else comes sniffing around.

Oh, I also went to see Doctor Sleep on Saturday!

The movie is decent but rather schizophrenic, as it tries to honor both King and Kubrick and stumbles a bit in the attempt.

Spoilery stuff for the folks who've read the novel and have seen the movie.

Spoiler

The movie follows 90% of the plot from the book but at the end of the day, it's a direct sequel to the movie.

In the novel, Dick Hallorann is alive and well, but the movie follows the plot of Kubrick's joint and reduces Hallorann, the only victim of Jack Torrence's iconic movie fire axe, to the level of Jedi Ghost that advises Danny from beyond the grave.

The movie version of Doctor Sleep also keeps Jack Torrence's status as antagonist in check and does not contain the novel's touching subtext of Jack trying to make amends with his son so that he can finally rest in peace.

I really do prefer the relationship dynamics of the novel but overall, the movie is perfectly fine.  I enjoyed the ode to Kubrick's movie and Flannigan did as much as he could with Rose the Hat and the True Knot despite them being some of the worst King antagonists ever.   They are even less of a match for Abra and Dan in movie, but they weren't that much competition in the book either.

Just as I feel that Kubrick's movie missed the boat in the way it told the story of Jack Torrence, I feel that the ending of Doctor Sleep kinda misses the point with Danny.  In the prologue of the novel, Danny finds his purpose in providing comfort to others via his psychic gifts.   The ending where Danny uses his powers to ease the suffering of a co-worker at the hospice that once tormented him is very satisfying and it really shows how Danny matures during the course of the story.

The end of the movie is pretty much the ending of novel version of The Shining but instead of Jack Torrence burning down the Overlook to save his family, it is Danny who dies in the destruction of the hotel to save Abra and Danny then serves as Abra's Jedi Ghost and continues Dick's tradition of mentorship from the tomb.  I chafed a bit under this plot change but fundamentally, it was a logical departure to keep Kubrick's vision in synch with this one.

The vision of Doctor Sleep synch up with that of Kubrick's Shining very well.  Flannigan tries to keep the film within his own perview for as long as he can, but eventually it succumbs to the call to echo Kubrick's atmosphere.  It is a hard act to follow, but the movie makes it's own argument for worthiness very well.

Edited by J.T.

On 11/7/2019 at 7:19 PM, nate said:

I would like a take on Unmasked.  I'm making my Black Friday VS list.

It's basically a forerunner to Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. It's not shot faux documentary style but instead presented as a straightforward narrative. A hockey mask wearing-killer, that is clearly a stand-in for Jason, is finishing up slaying a bunch of jackasses in an abandoned flat at the beginning of the movie when he spares a girl after realizing she is blind and mistakes the slasher for her date. The movie is set in London, but the killer, Jackson, does reference him and his mother fleeing to America to get away from his abusive drunk father. While over there, it was mistakenly thought that Jackson drowned, but he didn't and basically ended up committing all the same camp killings as Jason. Of course, Jackson's drunk hermit father still lives in his childhood home, the abandoned flat where the opening killings took place.

The rest of the movie focuses on how determined Jackson is to give up his life as a slasher to be in a relationship with the blind girl, Shelly. Everyone from his drunk father telling him he's cursed...... to more idiots (aspiring actors) in a bar wanting his autograph, more or less keep pulling him back in. Whenever he doesn't have his hockey mask on, the killer's face is basically a Toxic Avenger prosthetic. It's funny later when he's in his skivvies and bondage gear with the blind girl, and can't get into S & M because he just can't bring himself to flog her hard. There's also other references to the genre such as Shelly asking him why he hesitated to answer her when they first met, with him explaining that he's never talked to people because most of them never give him the chance before they start screaming their heads off. There's even a scene of the couple going in a costume shop where Jackson gets irritated that Shelly puts on a hockey mask. He also mentions how many of his friends star in their own film franchises. It turns out that the annoying actors at the bar hounding Jackson for an autograph were friends of Shelly's and the climax features him visiting the mansion they're spending the week at.....on Friday the 13th. 

The opening killing spree features some awesome kills and even kicks off with a Crazy Ralph type figure trying to tell the partygoers how the abandoned house is cursed. The closing killing spree isn't quite as nuts but is still fun. This movie is plenty of fun on its own with all the crazy killings. The humor might be a bit dry but the scenes between Jackson and his father doubting his efforts to go straight with the father also contemplating how great of a killer he could've been if he'd never fallen in love with Jackson's mother, are interesting and also figure into the ending. Horror Movie A Day also did a review of Unmasked Part 25 in the past week. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet but it further explains what the movie is going for. https://horror-movie-a-day.blogspot.com/2019/11/unmasked-part-25.html

The movie itself gets the highest recommendation from me. I don't know if it was ever even on DVD, so even without having checked out the extras, it's almost certainly the best presentation it's going to get. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Point Horror, a series of young adult horror books penned by authors like R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike, is headed to the small screen. HBO Max is developing a Point Horror anthology series. Each episode of the show will be inspired by one of the original books, complete with a “nostalgic nod to the 1990s.”

The post ‘Point Horror’ Anthology Series Headed to HBO Max appeared first on /Film.