DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Well, the Creepshow issue is resolved: Amazon Prime has Shudder on it for whatever reason (I'm unsure whether my payment goes into it or we're running on a free month. I'm gonna have to hook up the seven day free Epix trial to watch the Punk docuseries tomorrow so maybe then I can figure it out) so I just started watching them on there with no streaming issues at all. Second episode has a pretty solid werewolves-in-WWII story that seems fairly brief, has the classic Creepshow panel effects, and features Jeffery Combs as a Nazi. The second story is written by my boy David J. Schow and concerns a sad sack finding a finger on the street and taking it home with him with... consequences. Great story and a neat monster. Third episode starts with a fairly somber little tale revolving around Halloween and some young kids (who really are almost cast too old). It's surprisingly sad and the music really helps in that respect. Second story is the wildest one yet, I don't even want to begin to describe it, called "The Man in the Suitcase". I refuse to say any more! It's great. 

So, if you'll excuse me, I have one more episode to watch...

EDIT: Episode 4 was solid enough. First story was a fairly generic revenge story featuring a scarecrow, lots of Creepshow-ish lighting here, and some brief stop-motion like in Schow's "The Finger" which is a nice touch. Second story is like a cross between EC's "...And All Through The House!" and Creepshow's "They're Creeping Up On You" plotwise, only with neither a crazed maniac nor a building full of roaches. I would say that overall this series is on par with the best Tales from the Crypt episodes when it's really on, and hits their solid midlevel otherwise. Really, really good show, and I look forward to having the Blu collection of these. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

How kid appropriate is Creepshow, Curt and J.T.?  Youngest is 10. For reference, we all watched Frankenheimer’s Prophecy last weekend and I thought that was a perfect horror movie for that age group. 

That sleeping bag scene is just the best. 

Edited by The Magnificent 7

I'd say it's TV-14 and fine if they're used to gore. "Grey Matter" and the werewolf story were pretty bloody, but it's stuff that I would have loved at that age. No sex so far, in fact the only sex-adjacent material is in the last story of ep. 4 where two women are in a relationship together, though sex never comes up and they don't even kiss or anything.

EDIT: Well Schow (of course it would be Dave) wrote a blowjob reference into his story ("The Finger") so take that in mind. There's a meth reference too, and in "The Man in the Suitcase" they have someone smoking joints and bongs. 

Take in mind I don't have kids. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I would also say that TV-14 sounds appropriate for the reasons Curt listed, but bear in mind that I raised my daughter (she's 16 now) to be a ghoul so I will also add the "your mileage may vary" caveat.

My daughter and I have already had and continue to discuss "the talk," so the oral sex reference was neither here nor there and she's mature enough to handle the drug use stuff but remember that I'm also there watching it with her.

Edited by J.T.

BREAKING NEWS!!

Not only can you watch Joe Bob's Halloween Hootenanny tonight (Oct 25), but on December 13 it's JOE BOB'S RED CHRISTMAS! Joe Bob's combining the cult, the classic and the bizarre in a holiday stew designed to keep you reaching for the egg nog, and to keep Aunt Shirley complaining about your choices. So join Joe Bob tonight for the Halloween Hootenanny and Dec 13 for Red Christmas at 9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific, only on Shudder!

• Like 3

Why remake it, when a (belated) sequel would be a better idea? The cast of the original are all alive, working and beautiful. Even if you're going with a teen movie with new leads, bringing the old cast back (as the same characters but older) is a better call than doing the 'Robert Mitchum cameo in Scorsese's Cape Fear' thing.

• Like 1

After I figured out what he was showing as he was busy talking when I tuned in I watched a bit of Halloween 4 (love that preacher with the pint of Dickel) but went back to whatever other crap I was doing. No clue why the live stream was perfectly fine but I still can't watch anything else on Shudder without buffering issues.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Highlight of the marathon was easily Tom Atkins calling up to tell Joe Bob he'd kick his ass next time he saw him for talking shit on Halloween III. This was egged on by Darcy the Mail Girl every time Joe Bob pointed out how bad of an idea it was to ever do a Halloween movie without Michael Myers in it.  At least the segments with Joe Bob explaining exactly how they ended up with the crap that is Halloween 5 were entertaining. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 1

Yeah the Tom Atkins bit and the last shot Darcy took at the Pinata were highlights. 

Joe Bob was on fire too, shitting on Halloween 5, tearing up the set dressing and explaining  Byron's poem The Prisoner of Chillon.

• Like 1

I was reading something that brought up Bad Taste's middle-finger box art and had to ask this: has anyone else ever seen that box at a video store before where somebody cut out the finger from another copy and taped it on to make it look like the alien was throwing up the inverted peace sign (also a fuck you) before? Because that's what somebody did at a video store I frequented as a kid. For that matter, anybody else got any funny censorship stories from the video store days?

• Like 1

Joe Bob Friday was TREMENDOUS~!

My kid and I rented the Child's Play re-image on Saturday.  It was a slow burn but Chucky being a crazy AI slowly grew on me.

Not sure of Chucky's origin of evil having roots in disgruntled foreign workers was some sort of not so subliminal Buy American jab.

Doctor Sleep has no official score at RT yet but an article from The Wrap seems to point towards an abundance of critical praise.

https://www.thewrap.com/doctor-sleep-early-critical-praise/

Twitter snapshot reviews seem to be exceptionally keen on Rebecca Ferguson's performance as Rose the Hat.

Looks like Mike Flannigan is 2-0 on making good SK film adaptions..

Speaking of SK adaptations, if you were too cheap to buy a ticket for the theatrical release or pay for premium cable, you can finally watch IT! Chapter One on TNT On Demand.

Edited by J.T.

39 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Grudge (reboot) trailer

I hope that Raimi as Producer can do for this second attempt at a Ju-On do over that Gore Vidal as director did with Ring, but I think this movie is going to be horrible.