DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

On 10/17/2019 at 3:08 PM, Curt McGirt said:

The Cabin in the Woods is on right now and I swear the guy playing the Pinhead imitation with sawblades sticking in his face is Ryan Reynolds.

He looks a ton like Deadpool in Wolverine.

Fun fact: the character's name is Fornicus, Lord of Bondage and Pain

• Haha 2

Baltimore, MD! Join us Saturday 10/19 at Baltimore Soundstage as we will be performing the live score of Dario Argento's legendary horror classic, "Deep Red" during a screening of the film. The second part of the show we will play an additional set of classic Goblin material as well as some cuts of our new album!

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

A friend of mine in Milwaukee got to see that, the lucky bastard.

I caught the OG cut of Deep Red at the theater last year and found that I preferred it greatly to the extended one. A film I thought was kind of lackluster and drawn out immediately tightened up into a clockwork piece of suspense. 

• Like 1

Godzilla vs. Hedorah is on and it's pretty nutty. Hedorah is a pollution monster that spews sulfuric acid mist (!) that dissolves humans and the youth population's response is to make a bonfire at the base of Mt. Fuji, get down and groove to some sick mod jams. Quite a mix of the nihilistic and the absurd. 

Amityville stinks though I have a soft spot for its atrocious sequels. I still need to see House, haven't in all these years. Weird.

I just watched Amityville and I dug it. Rod Steiger acting in his own separate movie, Margot Kidder is hot as hell, Brolin punching his friend in the face and his friend being like "okay, ready to talk?" A Nun vomiting on the side of the road. Blood pouring through the wall practical effects

You know what I really didn't like was the "GET OUT" voice. Once you give the house a voice it becomes extra corny.

Not a great movie, but there's enough to like for me.

House and House 2 are fucking great though. I'd watch them over Amityville

• Like 2

Seen the original Amityville quite a few times pver the years. The scene where the bag pipes played freaked me out when I was 12 or so. Between watching that scene and sitting next to an open window late at night and hearing a weird sound outside can fuck with a young mind. Burnt Offerings was another movie that messed with my head as an 8 yr old. The ending of that movie and Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry rank right up there on my favorite endings of all time.

• Like 2

This lad at our school was really bad at articulating why he liked things, and what was good about them. Once when we were 12, he came in raving about this great film he'd seen called House. What's it about, we asked him. It's about a man, he said, about a man and he lives in a house, he said. Well that sounds rubbish, we responded. And that was the end of that.

• Haha 3

Caught the end of Return to Salem's Lot. Didn't know it was a Larry Cohen flick and sure enough there is Michael Moriarty in all of his idiosyncratic glory. Apparently the vampires have taken over the whole town and they have human helpers, and Moriarty's wife is gonna have a vampire baby, and they wanna vampirize his other son? And some Holocaust survivor helps him kill all the vampires in town. There is like five seconds of stop-motion that is so fast that if you blink you'll miss it, and a scene where Moriarty clearly stakes the ground next to somebody instead of staking them. Glad I recorded this because it's hilariously bad and I need to see all of it.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 10:29 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Godzilla vs. Hedorah is on and it's pretty nutty. Hedorah is a pollution monster that spews sulfuric acid mist (!) that dissolves humans and the youth population's response is to make a bonfire at the base of Mt. Fuji, get down and groove to some sick mod jams. Quite a mix of the nihilistic and the absurd. 

Amityville stinks though I have a soft spot for its atrocious sequels. I still need to see House, haven't in all these years. Weird.

That reminds me.  There's a shit ton of kaiju on Tubi including Destroy All Monsters.

• Like 1

Last year everbody said they wanted a Last Drive-In October special. We really hope you meant it and that you'll tune in for Joe Bob's Halloween Hootenanny this Friday, October 25, at 9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific, only on Shudder!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If my motherfucking Shudder doesn't stop buffering, sure. I need to work on that today...

I have had the Shudder app on my XB1 for about a year now.   I've had no issues with it so far.

I was already going to down a fifth of Jager while watching Phantasm 2. I'll guess I'll go ahead and do that as an appetizer now. That's fitting since I was pissed by the exclusion of Phantasm 2 from last year's Phantasm Christmas marathon. They usually don't go the obvious route so far with these things so I'm trying to remember what other films they have that take place on Halloween besides the Halloween franchise. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 2

According to this guy, he was at a convention and was told that Shudder bought the rights to show six new Vinegar Syndrome films, whether that's for this marathon or next season of Joe Bob's Drive-In. He guessed The Uninvited as one of the movies, which I finally saw this year.  Maybe he'll get the main guy from Demon Wind on as a guest since he already showed that during the weekly series and the same guy is one of the baby jackass college boys that go for a boat ride in The Uninvited.

Edited by FluffSnackwell