DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

I cant' post the review of the film I watched today because it was the one I was SUPPOSED to watch for Havoc and the review will show up in the project thread.

I actually watched it last week, but I also did a quick review to get some of the names of the cast and production staff straight.

Edited by J.T.

Friday 3 is actually really tamed down from the first two: I assume the MPAA is, again, to blame for the relative lack of gore, but I'd kinda forgotten how little nudity there is, coming right off the full display of Kirsten Baker in the previous film. Especially knowing that the MPAA apparently relented a bit for Final Chapter and it's exploitative as all hell. Oh well, I'll get to that one soon.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Friday 3 is actually really tamed down from the first two:

?

You probably intended to post his in the HH thread, but I'll bite.

Not sure why you think that P3 is toned down compared to P2 and the original, man.

Friday 3 has some of the more violent kills in the franchise including the girl that takes the spear gun bolt to the eye, the poor dude that walked on his hands and gets split in half and his girlfriend who is featured in one of the more graphic scenes where Jason slowly pushes a machete some poor soul.

Most of those murders were set up like that to deliberately show off the 3D effects.

I completely forgot that the scene where the black gang member gets bludgeoned to death is actually a tribute to the scene from Texas Chainsaw Massacre where Leatherface thwacks a guy to death with a mallet. 

It's one of those scenes that is gory in your mind's eye but is actually quite bloodless on screen.

I think you are remembering the whole thing where there were actually two versions of Part 4.  The Hard R version that was inexplicably re-rated as X aka the Uncut version and the final and somewhat tamer version that received an R.

I think this is the interview with Director Joe Zito from the documentary, His Name Was Jason, where he talks about the reshoots.

Spoiler

I spolered the videio embed since the vidcap is pretty graphic.

Edited by J.T.

If anything that Vs. video shows that some of the charm in the kills is actually in their brevity. For example, I thought the R cut was more effective in the hacksaw one just because it was faster. It seems most of the problem was lingering on the wounds. Both cuts of Jason's death should have been edited together, really, because the first is effective but the unrated is a nice aftermath shot. 

The banana one is stupid though. So we can show the knife go in, but not come out? That helps what, exactly? 

Now, when Paramount are going to finally release all unrated cuts of these fuckers is what I want to know...

• Like 1

As I understand it, a lot of the original camera negatives of the trimmed scenes were destroyed. I know that's what they said about Part 7 (which got absolutely butchered) and why the deleted stuff only exists in terrible quality.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The All-Nite at the Art is tonight and I decided to pass. Last year we got

Spoiler

Patrick

The Driller Killer

Nekromantik

Psychos In Love

The Undertaker

this year we got

Spoiler

three revealed already unlike last year: 

The Evil Dead (already seen it in the theater)

It Follows (not interested)

Village of the Damned (either version, not interested)

and the secret picks which I know one of cuz my buddy works there: 

Climax (which they've already played there)

???

What a letdown.

...aaaaaaaand now I'm pissed. Turns out the other secret feature was (drum roll please)...

Spoiler

WILD FUCKING ZERO

I woulda paid the 20 bucks just to watch that. Well, at least it's on Youtube for free...

EDIT: Hey @OSJ I don't remember what thread it was in where we were talking about it but here's the movie without Korean subtitles

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear that things went south, but I am appreciative of you finding that on YouTube for free. 

Now I have something to watch after I'm done with this copy of Hardcore Henry I found on Dailymotion.

• Like 1

Oooo, I should watch that! I'll set it up for later. 

Was gonna watch Dark Night of the Scarecrow on Night Flight Plus earlier but I got caught up watching PWFH and then The Seventies on CNN.

Funny, Evil Dead was part of the fest tonight and I just caught the end of it on Showtime. BTW Village was the original which I haven't seen, but oh well. I'm broke anyway.

• Like 1

Oh God I love F13 The Final Chapter so much. So gory, so mean, but with, by far, the most interesting meat characters. It doesn't have the great final stretch as Part 2, but it has an actual, interesting middle act.

My 31 for 31 marathon hits Nightmare next, which is real good, because oh boy am I not a fan of the next two Friday movies.

But I'm seven movies into this "watch all 31 combined Halloween/F13/aNoES movies in October" project and I'm jazzed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Finally watched Overlord. Enjoyed it a decent bit. Didn't feel too much like a horror film though despite some body horror.

I think it was definitely better as a war movie than a horror movie, but zombies make it horror, more or less.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

...aaaaaaaand now I'm pissed. Turns out the other secret feature was (drum roll please)...

Reveal hidden contents

WILD FUCKING ZERO

I woulda paid the 20 bucks just to watch that. Well, at least it's on Youtube for free...

EDIT: Hey @OSJ I don't remember what thread it was in where we were talking about it but here's the movie without Korean subtitles

That was a lot of fun!  Not at all what I expected it to be.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think it was definitely better as a war movie than a horror movie, but zombies make it horror, more or less.

I know what you're saying, but there's something tragically comical that zombies make a movie "horror" but WAR doesn't.

• Like 5

31 DAYS OF HORROR UPDATE #2

Movie #4: Terrifier

When I was looking for the Argentinian film Terrified, all the searches kept directing me to this fucking clown movie of a similar name.

The first third is pretty fun. I love the early scenes of Art The Clown just existing in a pizza joint like a normal person, instead of a shadow like Michael Meyers. Once he saws a woman in half, which should be a crowd pleaser for the gore hounds, the movie becomes a reel of murders. Not much in the way of characters or story - just people finding their way to the same location, and then getting hacked to shit. Felt like a couple of short films, padded into a feature length, BUT there's some wicked scenes, and though I think "creepy looking" clowns are the lamest horror creation, this one is kinda fun, desptire feeling a little nasty and mean spirited.

Movie 5: Prom Night 

I probably haven't watched this on in 18 years. I just remember enjoying it and then being disappointing, and that's kidna how this one goes. There are some many fun and cool ideas for a movie that's a slasher born out of a production team that really dug Carrie and Saturday Night Fever. The ending is kind of a let down, not because of the reveal, but because I really just wanted a little more time to sit in. I think If I remade this movie today, I'd think about placing the reveal earlier, and do some cat n mouse stuff with Jamie Lee Curtis' character. I found myself caring a lot about the characters in this viewing, and I wanted to see the movie play in that drama before the conclusion. As  it goes now, it doesn't have the shock of say Angela in Sleepaway Camp, where the movie has the reveal and then credits roll.

Despite the ending, I think Prom Night is three fourths a great slasher. For one you have a killer that is constantly fucking up. There's a great moment where they swing an axe into table, the victim ducks and runs, the killer goes to chase and then quickly turns around to grab the axe they forgot. Fantastic. But I believe thebiggest gift this movie ever gave us was one of the greatest slasher characters ever:

SEYMOUR "SLICK" CANE

Out of the gate, you think this guy is some loser, who happens to have a SWEEEEEEEEET VAN. But no, this guy rolls up and calls his shot like a bad ass, and manages to get that van a rockin with this fine lady by the end of the night. THEN when our killer shows up, Slick punches them so hard they fly through the fucking air. He looks like D&D but hits like Bruce Lee.I don't know if he was a producers nephew or what, but I'm thankful he exists. His legend will live on forever.

Rest In Power You Fucking Legend.

latest?cb=20110130050804

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That guy looks like Shelley from Friday 3 to the tenth power. 

The Addams Family was playing today so me and my buddy who went to the fest last night (and stuck around until Wild Zero was over before tapping out) went to it. I'm pretty sure me and my dad went when it came out, and I have it on VHS, but I still couldn't remember much of it. That movie really earns its PG-13. Probably the best subtle bit of morbidity was the villains being shot into caskets that promptly close and fall into the ground, where upon Puggsley asks "Are they dead?" and Wednesday replies "Does it matter?" I thought "well that's one way to defuse the possibility of them having been killed" before I realized it was a joke about BURYING THEM ALIVE.

What a movie. RIP Raul Julia, the best ever. 

• Like 4

Just watched The Keep on Dailymotion. I'm not gonna do a full review of it but it's pretty neat, though badly flawed. The original cut was 3 1/2 hours and the studio cut it down to 90 minutes so there are all kinds of plotholes, plus the visual effects guy died during filming so some stuff is botched together. Michael Mann basically said it's never coming out on DVD so that's the only way you can watch it unless you get lucky like a friend of mine and find a VHS at a church sale like he did (along with a variety of others, including Shock Waves and another Nazi zombie movie. I wonder what was up with the guy selling off his Nazi horror collection at church). Anyway it has a star-studded cast, some pretty crazy effects, Scott Glenn lookin all ripped in the nude, Nazis heads exploding, and Tangerine Dream, so it's worth a watch.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just watched The Keep on Dailymotion. 

It's one of my guilty favorites, but it's nothing like the book it's based on.

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Did you all already know about the Snitsky horror movie (I ain't going through the whole thread)

100 Acres of Hell

Nope.  That's news to me, man.  I'm still in sticker shock trauma after plopping down $1K for my new 2020 Toyota Corolla.  I'm happy I've got a new ride but I also loved not having a car payment every month.

The Turning

If this film sounds familiar, that’s because it was intended to be shot in 2017 on a $17 million dollar budget as Haunted under director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (28 Weeks Later, Intruders) for DreamWorks Pictures, and set to star Rose Leslie (Game of Thrones) and Alfre Woodard (Captain America: Civil War). Based on a script by Chad and Carey Hayes (The Conjuring), Haunted went through a page-one rewrite by Scott Z. Burns (The Bourne Ultimatum, Side Effects) that caused such seismic changes in the fabric of the story (altering characters, action, even the title) that it no longer resembled the project the studio signed on to make. In September of 2016, five weeks before shooting, producer Steven Spielberg personally pulled the plug on the project. Spielberg and other execs decided the best course of action was to fire Fresnadillo and Burns, going back to the original Hayes Brothers’ script looking to start fresh on development, despite $5 million having already been spent.