DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Yep, the season is upon us again.

My first horror film for the 31 Days of Halloween was 

MV5BMTQzMTIwMzU0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTIx

also known as Savaged.  It was on my Tubi recommended list and I watched it before crashing for the day in prep heading into the office for overnight duty.  A DoD tech's work is never done.

Anyway, Avenged is a super campy femsploitation joint about a deaf mute woman who is raped and murdered by rednecks in New Mexico after trying to rescue two Native American men that the loathsome group of sand yokels wind up butchering anyway.

She is then turned into a zombie by an Apache shaman and her undead body shares a soul with the spirit of a centuries dead Apache war chief out to murder the racist descendants of the US Army General that destroyed his tribe during resettlement.

Yeah, I'm not kidding..

Did I mention that our deaf mute and ghost possessed slaughterer of xenophobic shit kickers is white and she has a black male fiancé whom she has to rescue from the killer racists that take him hostage and use him as bait to lure our appropriately armed netherworldly terminator of rogue desert hell-billies into a final showdown?  Bonus! 

The number of stereotype boxes this movie ticks off is insane!  Female hero? Check.  Disabilities?  Check.  African American dude in distress? Check.  Native American otherworldly aid?  Check.  Repulsive would-be Klansmen in need of a good perishing?  Double Check!

Let's get this out of the way now.  

Avenged, IMO, is a blatant and complete rip-off of The Crow:  Flesh and Blood with a bit of The Manitou (1978) mixed in for cultural effect, but I can forgive this since this is probably as close as I'm going to get to F+B being adopted as a feature length movie.

Like Iris Shaw (the inheritor of the Crow mantle in F+B), our protagonist deaf mute zombie righter of wrongs only has a short amount of time to take down the men who murdered her before her decaying body rots away completely.

Her supernatural form does not regenerate in the same manner that the original Crow's could, so she cannot waste precious panels going all emo and bemoaning her cursed fate as Eric Draven did.  

She has to move quickly, and move quickly she does.  She has no need of the constant presence of the Skull Cowboy there to cajole her into action with darkly poetic "let's get our shit together" speeches.

When she suffers great bodily harm on her path to vengeance, our Apache war chief gestalt undead revenge killer (again, like Iris Shaw from F+B) just takes a roll of electrical tape and binds her limbs in the hope that her necrotic frame will hold together long enough to complete its warpath of righteous bloodshed.

Yet another story cue that our living dead girl's window for vengeance is very limited.

Can she do what needs to be done before she quite literally falls apart?

Normally such obvious and unapologetic cribbing of materiel that I am fond of would really annoy me, but in this case I can let it slide. 

This is a well thought out and simple story that totally fucking works and like I said before, this is probably as close as we'll get to seeing one of the most beloved and celebrated tales from The Crow series getting its just cinematic due.

Avenged has a plot with a bit of soul, despicable villains that get what's coming to them and meet their respective ends rather violently (the gore is GLORIOUSLY ABSURD~!), and there is also a tragic love story also there for the telling and that's about all you can ask for from your atypical undead femsploitation joint.

Three bloody hatchets out of five.

I can promise that will do my best to get in one horror movie per day for the entire month, but I can't promise that I will be able to post a review for each one.

I'll post the list of stuff I was able to get to on Halloween.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

It is the 2nd day of October and I am on graveyard shift.

Just finished revisiting

dagon1.jpg

while running diogs on the blade servers.  Snoozefest!

I am a complete idiot because the first time I watched this movie, it did not dawn on me that this was pretty much The Shadow Over Innsmouth turned into a fairly twisted love story of sorts. 

It's not even remotely based on Lovecraft's short prose, Dagon.

It's directed by Stuart Gordon, one of the few guys that you can count on to bring a Lovecraft adaptation to fruition without boring the living shit out of you, and it's produced by Brian Yuzna, so you know the body horror base is well covered.

Dagon retains the persistent dread of Innsmouth without drowning (heh.. drowning..) you in HP's weighty intellectual claptrap.  It is weird how Lovecraft stories are best told by other authors, but you still have to credit the racist bastard for having the dark imagination and genius required to dream up all of that bleak and unforgiving mythology.

I am not sure how all of that stuff could populate your headspace without you going Edgar Allen Poe levels of batshit insane over time.  Despite his mounting misfortunes, HP remained clinical to the bitter end and our horror horizons are better and darker for it.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I hated Dagon exclusively because of its totally unlikable lead. 

And you know Lovecraft eased up on the racism (IIRC) after he married a Jewish woman, right? Pretty sure I read that as a kid; was in an article from an American history magazine I found in my art class in high school that discussed his racism explicitly. That was pretty weird to find out of nowhere. I mean it doesn't excuse "The Horror at Red Hook" or anything, but just saying.

Oh, and I got Creature AKA The Titan Find and freakin' RITUALS (a Stephen King favorite) on deck to watch today so you might be getting reviews of those. They're both free on Youtube.

EDIT II: I looked it up on Wiki and yeah those views didn't really soften at all. Fuck him.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Monday Night I rented Ma on a whim. I found it to be a pretty mediocre slog. I finally bought a 4KTV and Blu-ray player and the first thing I watched on it was Scream Factory's special edition 4K scan of Humanoids From The Deep. It was either Humanoids From The Deep or Vice Squad. I'll also finally be able to watch the 4K scan of The Thing from Scream Factory's steelbox edition (bastards jacked up my wallet since I had already bought the previous special edition but couldn't pass up the steel box). As for Humanoids, it seems like the previous release had Monster for the title card instead of Humanoids From The Deep, but this one showed the latter. I can't tell any difference in gratuitous nudity, violence, and Vic Morrow between either Blu-ray or the version posted on Shout Factory's app. Then B-Movie TV was playing Unmasked Part 25 AKA Hand of Death in the wee hours of the morning. I already pre-ordered Unmasked Part 25 from Severin but I'm up for another showing when it arrives. It's a really fun English parody of Jason Voorhees. Here's all you need to be sold on it. Obviously silly gore awaits you.

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I hated Dagon exclusively because of its totally unlikable lead. 

Aw, at the end I thought that he and octopus girl made a pretty cute couple in a weird incestuous sea monster kinda way.  

Yeccchhh...

They both looked so happy swimming off into the dark void.

That's not really a spoiler since I imagine that we've all read The Shadow Over Innsmouth a dozen times between all of us.

Edited by J.T.

There are two shots in Halloween II (1981) that are just beautiful beyond belief.

The first is a pure rip off of a shot in the first movie (maybe my favorite single shot of all-time) when Michael just slowly appears out of darkness behind someone (I'm not 100% sure they did it the same way in this one as the first, but in the first one they just set up the lighting on him on a dimmer switch, and slowly turned it up)

Unlike in the first movie, here it's shaded yellow in the pitch black and it has an arty, eerie quality.

The second, when the head nurse has been drained of blood, there's a shot of just the IV line, hooked to nothing, deep red against pitch black, over the blood on the floor. A single drop of blood splashes into the puddle and it looks like a scene from Suspiria as much as anything.

Then we get the worst plot twist reveal and ugh.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 3

The worst thing about Halloween II is how it ends...... and they still made a direct sequel in Halloween 4..

And it's going to happen again with the new JC Halloween sequel reboots.

I scratched my head about it the same way I do now about how Devil's Rejects go a direct sequel in the form of 3 From Hell.

Edited by J.T.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:54 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I just turned on something called It's Alive on Comet and it is NOT the Larry Cohen film. This is the monster in it: 

oiepVqBtJimifYPvFdHxgIbmodx.jpg

Yeah. THAT's the monster. Woof...

Uh, yeah.

And speaking of the Larry Cohen joint, I think I have overshared how much the trailer for the movie terrified me as a kid.

31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN

PRE-GAME: CHANNEL ZERO ZEASON ONE and CASTLE ROCK

In order to get myself ready, I managed to talk my wife into watching these two shows. I didn't expect it, but they have very similar stories. Childhood mystery, returning to a small town, protagonist getting investigated by the police, protag's child showing up late - I could say more but it would be spoilery. Castle Rock bored me most of the time. There's one great episode that follows Sissy Spacek, and everything else felt like slow motion. Like a horror show that decided to stop being horror in order to foll people into thinking it's "prestige TV". And I thought the depiction of the town was pretty crummy too. Like sometimes it felt like Mayberry and other times it felt like they had a ridiculous amount of infrastructure and people.

Channel Zero fucking crushes every episode on the otherhand. It helps that it is only 6 episodes, but it's lean piece of beef that tastes pretty good most of the time. There's a couple of genuine surprises, and if you buy into that kind of Creepy Pasta horror, it really inhabits that space rather well. Certainly better than something like Slender Man. Something should probably said how it effective it is during daylight, without resorting to a heavy blue color grading.

PRE-GAME Part Two REVENGE

I've been meaning to mention this, but this is the best rape-revenge film ever and I really really really don't like rape in the movies I watch. It's the one thing that makes me go "I don't want to be here anymore." Kill dogs and kids all you want, but as soon as the raping happens, I want to check out. Before the inciting incident, I really loved how the movie effectivly turned the male gaze against itself without announcing it. The main lead is crazy hot, and they film her like Michael Bay filming Megan Fox. But then you realize the other guys looking at her the way you are - are the fucking rapists. Then every cheesecake shot after that the sexiness was replaced by fear and tension. Brilliant.

31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN THE REAL DEAL

DAY 1: TERRIFIED 

Lower budget James Wan Conjuring style horror out of Argentina. There are some creative scare pieces in this that are effective because they're patiently executed. The jumpy scares are similar to that Wan style, so if you dig that you may dig this. Definitely recommend for the horror fans that have seen a lot and are looking for something off the normal path.

DAY 1: THE PERFECTION

This one is so bonkers all over the place it's incredible. I mean...there are some choices that I think are kinda silly and shitty, but it's just so unashamed and out there that I can't imagine having it any other way. My wife and I just loved it. Allison Williams has the craziest crazy eyes. Steven Weber plays a slimy cello teacher, and you get a scene where a person is so sick they're afraid they're going to shit themselves on a bus in China. I'm not sure how else to sell it than that. It takes a couple of HARD LEFTS in the story that anything else would be spoiling.

DAY 2: ALL THE CREATURES WERE STIRRING

I just got into the Shock Waves podcast and this is host Rebekah McKendry's (first?) movie. It's a cheaply made anthology flick but kind of like the cheaper Phantasm entries - it looks like everyone's having a good time, so I'm having a good time. It's got a David Lynch Mulholland Dr theatre framing device that I dug, and some other fun ideas.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

The worst thing about Halloween II is how it ends...... and they still made a direct sequel in Halloween 4..

And it's going to happen again with the new JC Halloween sequel reboots.

I scratched my head about it the same way I do now about how Devil's Rejects go a direct sequel in the form of 3 From Hell.

Well, in both cases they 100% intended it to be the end, the last time.

But, in the movies, money is more powerful than death.

On 9/24/2019 at 10:44 AM, J.T. said:

I really should watch Under The Shadow as well while its still on Netflix.

Running into to now say that you really really should

*cough* see other thread *cough*

• Like 1

Re: Revenge, I just skipped over the rape. No way I was gonna watch that, the way the guys were acting was nasty enough. It was just time to see them get wrecked.

EDIT: Okay so watching Bram Stoker's Dracula on BBC America and they just showed a cut where the three vampire hos had clothing on. Has anyone ever seen this before? I swear I've only ever seen them nude. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There are two shots in Halloween II (1981) that are just beautiful beyond belief.

The first is a pure rip off of a shot in the first movie (maybe my favorite single shot of all-time) when Michael just slowly appears out of darkness behind someone (I'm not 100% sure they did it the same way in this one as the first, but in the first one they just set up the lighting on him on a dimmer switch, and slowly turned it up)

Unlike in the first movie, here it's shaded yellow in the pitch black and it has an arty, eerie quality.

The second, when the head nurse has been drained of blood, there's a shot of just the IV line, hooked to nothing, deep red against pitch black, over the blood on the floor. A single drop of blood splashes into the puddle and it looks like a scene from Suspiria as much as anything.

Then we get the worst plot twist reveal and ugh.

I also love the opening one-shot through the alleys and backyards if only because it captures the breezy nonchalance of small town halloween night c. 1980 with old ladies having their doors open while their husbands fall asleep in an easy chair, and just across the way a young girl home alone has her doors unlocked.  It's a solid visual representation of "Death has come to your little town."

and a lot of the quiet scenes in the hospital hallways are just solid great scary tense shots with minimal light and maximum "where is he now?"

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 2

I think that's what bugs me the most about it: it's beautiful, and so many things in it work really well, but it just keeps Sideshow Bobbing itself on rakes over and over. It's a mediocre movie that's just a few tweaks away from being a really fucking good one.

• Like 1

Finally watched 2014's CREEP. Being 'found footage' it will instantly rub a lot of people the wrong way and it does have its flaws, but overall I really liked it. The bare-bones cast (literally two people and a voice on the phone) do a stellar job, even when the protagonist's decisions strain credibility at times. You can see how it was originally a dark comedy, as opposed to balls-out horror, and a lot of that jet black humour is still present, without hurting the chill factor one bit.
Any fans of this one on the board? And is the 2017 sequel worth a watch?

On 10/2/2019 at 11:40 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Comet (if you get it) has both Prison and The Beast Within coming up, and I'm sure others. Those are pretty hard to find so I DVRed them immediately.

Found the Midnite Movies double feature with The Beast Within for $3 a few years ago. I think it was teamed up with Vampire People or some junk like that.

Lets see

1.Maximum Overdrive-bootleg Blu ray that I was given.Fun junk food film.

2.The Burbs-Great comedy / horror. It's on Shudder.

3.Madman-Joe Bob's showing off Shudder. Still not a fan of Madman.