DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

American Horror Story is finally fun again after two rather lackluster seasons.

The 80's slasher movie nostalgia theme for this season is fucking TREMENDOUS~!

The plot is total garbage but you weren't expecting Tolstoy, were you?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Another trailer for Creepshow

And if you haven't seen it - the full list of writers and directors

Spoiler

The six-episode season will be featuring 12 segments that will be based on stories written by acclaimed horror writers and directors consists of:

“All Hallows Eve,” written by Bruce Jones and directed by John Harrison
“Bad Wolf Down,” written and directed by Rob Schrab
“By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain,” adapted by Jason Ciaramella from a story by Joe Hill and directed by Tom Savini
“The Companion,” adapted by Matt Venne from a story by Joe R. Lansdale, Kasey Lansdale & Keith Lansdale, and directed by Dave Bruckner
“The Finger,” written by David J. Schow and directed by Greg Nicotero
“Gray Matter,” adapted by Byron Willinger and Philip de Blasi from a story by Stephen King and directed by Greg Nicotero
“The House of the Head,” written by Josh Malerman (Bird Box) and directed by John Harrison
“Lydia Layne’s Better Half,” adapted by John Harrison from a story written by John Harrison & Greg Nicotero,  and directed by Roxanne Benjamin (Body at Brighton Rock)
“The Man in the Suitcase,” written by Christopher Buehlman and directed by Dave Bruckner (The Ritual)
“Night of the Paw,” written by John Esposito and directed by John Harrison
“Skincrawlers,” written by Paul Dini & Stephen Langford, and directed by Roxanne Benjamin
“Times is Tough in Musky Holler,” directed by John Harrison which was based on the shorty story by writers John Skipp and Dori Miller

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

"VHS box covers that fucked you up as a kid, but ended up disappointing you years later" could be it's own thread, but I was obsessed with this one when I was way too young to rent horror (my mom was cool with R-rated action and such, but she's never been a horror fan, so it was not really allowed until I was well into my teens)

Hide contents

51REMD2F0YL._SY445_.jpg

Funny since isn't that one basically a black comedy more than a slasher? 

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Considering Zombie's relationship with them, is it gonna go straight to Shudder? 

I don't believe it's going straight to Shudder because they haven't mentioned it, but it really depends more on Lions Gate than Rob Zombie. He raised the money for 31 himself so he could do what he wanted with it.

I will say that it's nearly made it's 3 million budget back just off these Fathom event screenings, so there might be a little bidding war as to who gets it, and based on the current market, Shudder might not be able to compete.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 6:51 AM, J.T. said:

American Horror Story is finally fun again after two rather lackluster seasons.

The 80's slasher movie nostalgia theme for this season is fucking TREMENDOUS~!

The plot is total garbage but you weren't expecting Tolstoy, were you?

Watching now. Nothing was going to keep me from slashers and Emma Roberts. 

• Like 2

On 9/20/2019 at 1:03 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Funny since isn't that one basically a black comedy more than a slasher? 

It was more a big middle finger to fans of slasher movies, and it’s tropes. Which I gotta hand it to them, the twist is in the title of the movie.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I've never watched AHS before this season, but "80's slasher" is basically my catnip.

Mr. Jingles is a terrible name.

Don't tell John Coffey or Edward Delacroix that...

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:22 AM, Brian Fowler said:

"VHS box covers that fucked you up as a kid, 

Curt already posted the one for Shock Waves that fucked me up when I was a kid, so I will add these gems that scarred me for life:

1. The Stuff

the-stuff-vhs-cover-3.jpg

It is ironic that there was a bit of discussion about the documentary, Jodorowsky’s Dune, in the Movie forum since that movie wais produced by Travis Stevens, the same man who directs Punk's horror flick.

Stevens also produced the cult classic, Big Ass Spider!

Edited by J.T.

Blood Machines (2019)

I believe this is a Shudder exclusive.  Good thing I re-upped.

This the proverbial Alien or Await Further Instructions style horror movie masquerading as sci-fi / speculative fiction.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

NPR television critic says that the upcoming series Evil on CBS is awesome and is like the X-Files only with demons and crazy people.

I'm in.  DVR is set to record the entire season.

The premier episode is this Thursday.

Edited by J.T.