DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

CBS did a pretty decent job with Under The Dome but the ending really fizzled.   Hopefully that doesn't happen with The Stand.

I'll probably wait until after the series concludes before I get a sub.  I'll binge watch everything after it's all done.

SHOCK WAVES. Now THIS is a REAL horror movie. 

shock-waves-movie-poster.jpg

The open makes it almost a wet fart, with a giveaway, but then it delves into what I can only describe as a backwater version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, set in slow motion. How are you going to escape the landscape much less the other threat? That's the brilliance of this one. I'll be fucked, I've heard this one was good, watched about half of it once (I might even have an original VHS from a video store seller with no box) but until I saw it just now on Night Flight Plus didn't know that it was as good as it is. Also features a very gaunt Peter Cushing and a very drunk John Carradine, and loads of atmosphere. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

Yeah, Shock Waves is undoubtedly the movie that made the Nazi Zombie genre a thing.  I don't think that Dead Snow, Overlord, Frankenstein's Army, Outpost, or Blood Creek would exist without films like this one or Oasis of the Zombies.

Right before Overlord had it's theatrical run, Bloody Disgusting ran an article about the five Nazi Zombie movies you should watch ahead of the release and naturally, Shock Waves is right there:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3530992/5-nazi-zombie-movies-watch-ahead-overlord/

My hate for the Zack Snyder abomination, Sucker Punch, would be complete if it were not for two redeeming qualities:

1 Baby Doll's lights the fuck out duel with the samurai ogres set to Army Of Me by Bjork.

2. The steam powered WWI German Zombies vs. the Sucker Punch girls.

Apparently movies are 10000% better if you somehow find a way to insert a few German zombies as antagonists.  Who knew?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Took my daughter to go see IT! Chapter 2 and we enjoyed it quite a bit.     Modern CGI avenged the conclusion of the mini-series and gave Pennywise the proper send off he deserved.

There are less jump scares, but the story is VERY dark.  I think Andy does a really good job of reinforcing King's notion that the pact might not have been all that bright of an idea and that children are probably better suited to fight Pennywise than their jaded adult selves.

The two Easter Eggs were also pretty fucking awesome:

Spoiler
  1. The callback to John Carpenter's The Thing was fucking sweet.  Alas my daughter has never seen it (yet), so she didn't understand why I exploded into gales of laughter.
  2. The long-time criticism of the endings of Stephen King's prose being converted into a running joke about Bill's work was also pretty awesome, especially during King's cameo in the film where he also states that he hated the ending of Bill's latest novel.

I think that most of the criticism of the runtime may be warranted because the film REALLY does feel long, but I am not sure what parts you'd cut out or even trim, since everything seemed to contribute to the whole.  Chapter 2 is the greater than the sum of its parts.

Edited by J.T.

A buddy of mine who generally has a sucky taste in horror (IMO, I am a snob) HATED It 2. This from him was a big surprise because he usually likes just about everything. He said so in a group text and another friend piped up that the second part of the first one sucked too. 

He also raved about the Art Theater's October lineup, which (because I am a snob) I kinda balked at for lack of obscurity. 

- The Addams Family

- Us

- Event Horizon 

- The People Under the Stairs

- Nosferatu with live orchestra

- Rocky Horror

- Return of the Living Dead

- Halloween '78 and 2018 double feature

- All Night Marathon 

I'm only really excited for People, Return and the marathon, which always goes unlisted. Actually I've never seen Rocky live and they do that every year, along with Nosferatu, so I should probably go this year. I like Event Horizon but I saw that when it came out; in fact I saved the ticket and found it buried in the house recently.

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/3-from-hell-2019

Well damn. I really didn't expect THIS reaction to it.

His movies have become modestly better since Night of 1000 Corpses and I found his Halloween reboot to be decent if not very pretentious, but I didn't expect this kind of sea change in quality.

I think I liked 31 more than I should have.

I will probably go see 3 From Hell out of morbid curiosity to see how in the fuck the Fireflys survived being shot to fucking pieces at the end of Devil's Rejects.

I'll try my hardest not to roll my eyes.

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Holy hell, It: Chapter 2 is a lot of movie. A lot of not very good movie. You could easily carve a half hour off it and lose nothing of value.

I dunno.  A lot of stuff seemed to matter although it took a lot of fucking time getting around to the stuff that REALLY mattered.

You could've cut about ten or fifteen minutes off of the boss fight and still kept the same impact.

My old man bladder would've appreciated one less dialogue heavy flashback, too.

Edited by J.T.

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

31 is on Shudder, should I give it a shot? 

If you are a fan of Zombieverse horror, it is definitely the best of the lot but that's not saying much. 

I am still partial to Lords of Salem, though.

31 does manage to have one of Zombie's better movie endings and Doom Head has some pretty vicious dialogue, so you can tell that Zombie really gives a shit about this concept and how it would play out on the big screen.

EG Daily is cute and wears tiny jean shorts, so there's that.

He's apparently fighting for his life in an ICU right now from an accident so that's how that got derailed. 

EDIT: Apparently he's doing better. Here's Wiki: 

Spoiler

On September 6, 2019, Haig's wife Suzie said that he was taken to the hospital and moved to the Intensive care unit following an accident saying "Sid has had an accident and is in the hospital in ICU. Everyone please pray for him!!!!!!!!".[18] On September 13, 2019, his wife gave an update to her husband's fans going into detail about what happened to Haig, what his current status was saying "I know it’s taken a while, but here’s the quick and dirty. Sid took a nasty spill early last week and went to the ER to make sure everything was ok. It was, but they kept him for a bit for observation. Late last Thursday night he vomited in his sleep. Because he was asleep, the vomit went into his lungs (aspiration). Fortunately, since they were monitoring him, the alarm went off and they were able to get the vomit out and an air tube with suction in. They suctioned his lungs for a couple days and everything came out so they were able to remove the air tube/suction. He’s been breathing well for several days now but they still have to monitor for infection to be safe, since the bacteria in the human gut can set up an infection in the lungs when this happens, and are giving him IV antibiotics to protect him.” Suzie went on to say that her husband has “bounced back like a champ" and is "fighting like a warrior and winning the fight".[19]

And that wife of his looks about easily 30 years his junior if not more

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

He was too sick for the movie. Rob said he basically had to beg Lionsgate to even get him for the one scene.

Then there's the new issue from this week.

Doesn't change the fact that the movie could've used a lot more of him. Richard Brake isn't a bad choice to fill in, but it's not the same.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 2:03 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Oh no. I just saw that Sunday is the Syfy world premier of... *drumroll*

Hide contents

Leprechaun Returns

???

It doesn't look like Warwick Davis is reprising the role. And it looks pretty bloody, too. 

This wound up being shockingly okay. Easily the best Leprechaun movie.

• The threatened 2020 reboot of The Grudge produced by Ghost House still hasn't come back from reshoots.  With any luck, it won't return.
  • LeBron James has added his name to the list of people interested in producing a Friday the 13th reboot to be released next summer to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the release of the first movie.
  • Jordan Peele's Candyman reboot still has a release date of June, 2020, but he's remained tight lipped on when we can expect to see the first trailer.

Lebron has been attached to F13 since last year. But nothing can happen until the Victor Miller/Sean Cunningham lawsuit finishes winding it's way through courts (Miller won, Cunningham appealed, hearings for the appeal keep getting delayed)

Finally saw Hands of the Ripper on Shudder just now. I remember the video box featuring a murder victim laying in a bathtub with her throat cut clear as a bell from my youth and always wanted to see it; the box made it look way more lurid than it actually is. There's still some great kills in it though and the plot is really not what I expected. It's not really a murder-mystery at all, instead it's about the daughter of Jack the Ripper who goes into a trance and kills people when certain things occur in succession to her -- a flashing light and being kissed, which she was by her father after watching him stab her mother to death. She ends up in the hands of a doctor studying Freud who wants to cure her while a magistrate who knows her secret thinks she's possessed by her father. So, quite an outlandish little plot Hammer concocted here, and it works pretty well. Nothing drags, there's a bit of lesbianism to spice things up, there's a particularly dim view of the aristocracy throughout, and the murders (though some of her weapons appear out of thin air) are good for the time period. Worth a watch, esp. for Hammer aficionados. 

• Like 1

"VHS box covers that fucked you up as a kid, but ended up disappointing you years later" could be it's own thread, but I was obsessed with this one when I was way too young to rent horror (my mom was cool with R-rated action and such, but she's never been a horror fan, so it was not really allowed until I was well into my teens)

51REMD2F0YL._SY445_.jpg

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Lebron has been attached to F13 since last year. But nothing can happen until the Victor Miller/Sean Cunningham lawsuit finishes winding it's way through courts (Miller won, Cunningham appealed, hearings for the appeal keep getting delayed)

My news is different.  I had heard that LeBron signed up, dropped out when he heard about the lawsuit, and then signed back up after Miller won the initial court case.

I think the hope is that they will be able to negotiate something with Cunningham and kill the future appeal, otherwise the movie may miss it's release window.

Edited by J.T.