DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

I always thought the truck driver got got.

I mean he gets points for chucking the wrench or whatever and nailing Leatherface in the noggin, but when the pickup truck whips around to pick up Sally the Truck Driver pays it no mind and just keeps booking it down the road. Good luck with that.

It's possible he makes it a ways down the road before they realize he even exists. The only one who knows he didn't get in the pickup truck would be Leatherface, who isn't much of a communicator, and they've got to get that leg looked at.

But I just figured the Cook finds him and gives him a ride back to his truck like a good Samaritan, but turns him into pulled pork instead.

• Like 2

Any TV channel ever get broadcast rights to "IT" and decide the best thing to show before it would be the movie "It Follows"? Someone should. If anyone's written a script for a horror movie called "We Told You So", try to get it produced. They'll probably buy it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AxB said:

Any TV channel ever get broadcast rights to "IT" and decide the best thing to show before it would be the movie "It Follows"? Someone should. If anyone's written a script for a horror movie called "We Told You So", try to get it produced. They'll probably buy it.

We Told You So had better be really good since It Follows is actually pretty fucking awesome.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:20 AM, The Natural said:

Down to 65% now. 

Yeah, I think the runtime is getting to people.

It also does not help that the adults part of the novel is kinda tedious.  Sometimes the big screen masks the shortcomings of source material and sometimes it magnifies them.

I'm supposed to go see this with my daughter on Sunday, so I really should factor in the runtime when I pick a screening time.  Otherwise it'll be hamburgers in the car for dinner as I am speeding up 95 to get her back to my ex's on time.

Edited by J.T.

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am blaming @Brian Fowler for me spending my morning drive trying to remember all the big "accidents" in the Final Destination movies

Here's what is sad - I have never seen any of the movies yet I remembered all 5 of them

I'm honestly not sure how that's even possible.  I guess the trailers really stuck with you?

Off the top of my head I can only remember 3 of them, and it may be because I've only seen 3 of the movies.  Now I gotta check the Wikipedia summaries to make sure.

Edited by S.K.o.S.

4 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

How are we feeling about Doctor Sleep?  Mike Flanagan has a sparkling track record, but a modern sequel that lives up to an all-time horror classic is gonna be tough to pull off.

I am feeling pretty good about Doctor Sleep. 

I think King's involvement is key because Sleep isn't even trying to be a direct sequel to the movie (it's more of a revision or a correction), but I think that critics will do their best to make the comparisons to Kubrick's instant classic (they're none to be made, really) and savage Doctor Sleep because of it's perceived "inconsistencies."

I have no faith that they will get the fact that Doctor Sleep and Kubrick's The Shining don't technically share a direct sequel relationship, but Flanagan wants to keep the majority of Kubrick's theatrical elements intact in Doctor Sleep because that's what people probably expect to see.

I am sure that we'll see a lot of "Didn't The Black Caretaker Get Axe Murdered In The Movie?" plot hole gibberish and critics will totally disregard that in the novel, Dick gets his teeth knocked out via Jack Torrence's roque mallet...  and survives the ordeal.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

No joke, that opening to FD2 has me permafucked for logging trucks. Good thing I didn't grow up in a town that was literally founded as a lumber camp...

1, 2, and 5 are all really fun movies. 3 isn't terrible except it has a more or less out of nowhere strain of really ugly misogyny. 4 is fucking terrible, right down to the name (The Final Destination) 

Ready or Not is fucking awesome, full stop.

Weaving in giving too serious of a performance of being terrified and hurt for it to ever topple all the way into comedic, and the violence is played too lightly to ever get truly horrifying, but it somehow makes this work, being less a horror-comedy and more just walking a fine line directly between the two.

A few times the gore is pretty well disgusting by the standards of a modern studio horror film. I mean, it's not an Italian cannibal film, but it gets fairly gross.

Just a real "FUCK YEAH" movie.

• Like 1

TIFF Horror Film Report:

• I have heard that Richard Stanley's modern reimaging of HP Lovecraft's The Color Out Of Space (yeah, color, not colour) is a rambling narrative mess and not even a super campy Nicholas Cage performance can save it.  Pity, because that's one of my favorite stories from that fucking racist.
  • Black comedy, Knives Out and Deerskin, are supposed to be pretty good while the political satire / zombie apocalypse epic, Blood Quantum, is supposed to be fucking awesome!