DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

48 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Anyone know if there is a streaming service I can catch Overlord on? I somehow completely forgot about it which saddens me since I really wanted to check it out.

JustWatch says it is only streaming on EPIX

57 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Anyone know if there is a streaming service I can catch Overlord on? I somehow completely forgot about it which saddens me since I really wanted to check it out.

Overlord is worth purchasing outright. Hell of a good movie. 

• Like 2

I just bought Overlord on the cheapo tip ($4.99 at Family Video) and watched it again. It was worth about five times that. Such a great horror film and great war film are hard to find and that movie does both, plus sticks the landing. The closest film I can think of to doing both of those is probably Near Dark (different styles, but similar concept and execution). 

• Like 1

Woke up only after a couple hours and couldn't go back to sleep, so I did what I'm sure we all do and watched a horror movie.

Settled on The Ritual  which is on Netflix. It's kinda like The Descent but with dudes in the woods. I liked it enough, and there was some solid creepy shit throughout. The ending felt hollow to me though. They could have done something more unsettling and interesting, but instead  undercut all the juicy the groundwork they laid for something loud and conventional. Worth a watch though.

Then I finally went back to sleep and woke up to take my son to Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. It was pretty fun. I liked the cast, and thought they cleared the bar in terms of PG-13 limitations. The coda at the end was fucking weird, like it was the pilot to a TV series or something, and it didn't make sense. Like it was something they added just before they released it.  Not exceptional but a respectable attempt at exploiting the creepy images for scares, without feeling totally like the Goosebumps movie.

• Like 1

So today is my birthday and with it being the beginning of spooky season, I usually ask for horror related birthday gifts.  This year (movie wise) I got:

10 to Midnight (starring Charles Bronson)

Scream and Scream Again (starring Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing)

Tourist Trap

WNUF Halloween Special

From Beyond

Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key

• Like 4

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, jaedmc said:

Woke up only after a couple hours and couldn't go back to sleep, so I did what I'm sure we all do and watched a horror movie.

Settled on The Ritual  which is on Netflix. It's kinda like The Descent but with dudes in the woods. I liked it enough, and there was some solid creepy shit throughout. The ending felt hollow to me though. They could have done something more unsettling and interesting, but instead  undercut all the juicy the groundwork they laid for something loud and conventional. Worth a watch though.

I thought it was pretty solid.  I enjoyed how the supernatural aspects of the entity were explained away with Norse mythology which may or may not have been the true origin of the creature.   The story left enough wiggle room for the viewer to decide on his own what to believe about the Jotunn.

The novel that the film is "inspired by" makes no bones about the creature's real nature..  I like the movie and novel for very different reasons and they aren't so close in tone that you can't go back and read the book after having seen the movie.

Edited by J.T.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:10 PM, Control said:

Finally saw IT cuz it’s on Netflix. It was pretty good—wish they’d opted for more conventional FX when possible.

The CGI was kinda sketchy, but I think it did a better job of conveying IT's power of shapechanging than normal FX would've.

The trailers for It Chapter 2 have been so good that I'm starting to get optimistic despite all reason (I mean, has anyone ever came away from the book or the old miniseries thinking anything other than "the parts about them as adults was kinda shitty"?)

I'd be a lot more optimistic if it wasn't 169 fucking minutes long though. A half hour longer than The Shining?!?

Edit: the TV miniseries was 192 minutes. These two combined are 324 and they are promising (threatening?) a director's cut!

Edited by Brian Fowler

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Edit: the TV miniseries was 192 minutes.

By comparison, Kill Bill in it's whole form has a runtime of a little over four hours and that was seen as far too lengthy for one sitting at the time. 

The total runtime of both chapters of IT! do indeed seem ponderous at first glance, but remember that Lawrence of Arabia has a runtime of 348 and the entire Hobbit trilogy is close to eleven hours. 

When you compare the novels, The Hobbit is a tad over three hundred pages, while IT! is over a thousand. 

Why does it take Peter Jackson three fucking movies with a runtime of eleven hours to cover three hundred pages, while Andrés Muschietti covers over a thousand pages of prose in about four or five hours in two films that are comparable in length to Jackson's?

If you factor in the LoTR films that complete the Middle Earth saga, that's almost twenty four hours of constant viewing!  Holy shit!

Thank God that Mortal Engines was panned so that we're all spared Jackson's vision of a quadrilogy lasting over twelve hours.

Using a similar metric and measuring King adaptations against one another, The Shining is about 450 pages and has been adopted into a feature length film lasting about two and a half hours and a three episode mini-series lasting 273 minutes. 

Meanwhile, IT! (approx. 1K pages long) has been adopted into the aforementioned 192 minute two-part miniseries and two feature length films lasting about five and a half hours.  Timestamp wise, both Kubrick and Muschietti's pacing are fairly close as Kubrick covers The Shining (442 pages) in roughly the same amount of time that Andy takes to cover the first half of IT!

Based on those comparisons I think I can cut IT! Chapter 2 a bit of slack, but I will be taking an extended bathroom break before heading into the theater since no one does intermissions anymore.

I do agree that the Loser's Club as grown-ups part of the novel is the one I struggled through the most, so I am actually surprised that the advanced RT rating for the movie is above 60%. 

I am exceptionally curious about how this movie handles the rather shit ending of the novel.  I give the Chapter 1 film a lot of kudos for incorporating the "dead lights" into Pennywise's known abilities from the get go, so we're not surprised or disappointed when he pulls this power out of his ass in the final showdown in Chapter 2..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Also, if we're factoring in other King adaptations, there's always the fact that IT! is twenty four pages shorter than The fucking Stand, whose adaptation was a five part miniseries with an original runtime of 361 minutes that was "trimmed down" to about 359.

And thankfully, both adaptations thankfully have the more WTF? moments from the books withheld from the theatrical / television versions.

So, no.  IMO, the entire IT! movie saga is not as overwhelmingly long as it would appear to be on paper or in a total vacuum.

Edited by J.T.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

So, no.  IMO, the entire IT! movie saga is not as overwhelmingly long as it would appear to be on paper or in a total vacuum.

Let's wait and see what the extended cut comes in at if/when it's finally released.

Is that all super CGI or am I gonna freak out watching that trailer? Not a fan of spiders. But then again I did manage to get through Arachnophobia.

You know the full It will come out, just on physical media and probably not in theaters -- though the extended cuts of Lord of the Rings are getting a run in the local theaters so...

I went to see Ready or Not earlier today. I was the only one in the theater. It was a completely silly and absurd premise and a schlocky film all around, but I enjoyed it. The performances held it together. There was gore. Cringe moments. Light comedy to keep it grounded. And a crazy ending. I'll likely watch it again when it becomes available on whatever streaming platform it ends up on. Completely worth the matinee ticket and small popcorn price I paid for it.

• Like 2

Something I just thought of: Whatever happened to the truck driver at the end of the OG Texas Chainsaw? Like, did dude manage to flag down another car? Did Leatherface gain his composure long enough or did the Cook come and snap him out of his rage so they could go get him? If he got away were the authorities alerted? Lots of interesting questions there that no-fucking-body who did a follow-up ever took on. 

EDIT: I mean Sally got away and the chainsaw crew just vanished into the aether in the second one but how and why they got away, especially with another witness floating around out there who has A MISSING FREAKING MACK TRUCK that they'd have to get rid of... this really is rich for perusal from somebody who wanted to make another screenplay. 

Edited by Curt McGirt