DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They've apparently got a Director's Cut already geared up for Chapter 2 as well. 

Whatever happened to the promised director's cut of the first one, anyway?

The Lighthouse

RELEASE DATE: October 18, 2019
DIRECTOR: Robert Eggers 
CAST: Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson

The movie was shot on 35mm black-and-white stock using equipment from the 1920’s and ’40s. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Lighthouse

RELEASE DATE: October 18, 2019
DIRECTOR: Robert Eggers 
CAST: Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson

The movie was shot on 35mm black-and-white stock using equipment from the 1920’s and ’40s. 

I saw the trailer for this when I sat through AAAAAAALLLLLL of Midsommar.  

Looking forward to this coming out.  A24 is on a fucking roll.

I am digging the renaissance of sophisticated art house horror joints.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Watched Midsommar today.

Funnier than Hereditary. I enjoy these movies, but I'm never scared or freaked out by anything. They just make me laugh.  My wife, who doesn't like horror films, really enjoyed both movies too. She said, I don't think he's making horror films at all. She might be right.

His direction is so heavy handed that I just think he's gotta be laughing his ass off the whole time he's making it.

I mean shit he made a reference to the Nic Cage WICKER MAN REMAKE with a BEAR. this guy is having a laugh.

• Like 2

I just really wish they had made that a Wicker Man knock off with a different title so I do have to clarify whenever I say The Wicker Man is one of my all time favorite movies (which, for the record, it totally is)

8 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Funnier than Hereditary. I enjoy these movies, but I'm never scared or freaked out by anything. They just make me laugh.  My wife, who doesn't like horror films, really enjoyed both movies too. She said, I don't think he's making horror films at all. She might be right.

I think he's making horror films, but I think that he's just being smart about how to populate the quiet time in between scares.  There's an actual human story in there; not just leering demons and crazy cultists.

Hereditary's dysfunctional family theme is so strong that it pushes the supernatural elements to the background, which is the best place for them because it helps build the dread more effectively. 

Same with Midsommar since it is sort of a parable about the perils of social assimilation and surrender of identity.  It almost reminds me of a Romero zombie joint.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:01 PM, Curt McGirt said:

THE FURIES

This just showed up in my feed and looks like some wonderfully cheap trash

I'd watch that.

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

BLISS

This has been hitting the festival circuit pretty hard and has been described as "Martin as directed by Abel Ferrara" (FUCK. YES.). Trailer is very NSFW

and most definitely that.

• Like 1

A group of women in the woods trying desperately to escape a gang of murderous people dressed in faux animal costumes would be hilarious. The end would be the final girls get away because the furries see each other and start banging instead of killing them. 

• Haha 2

After nine years of weird shit, the guys at EverymanHYBRID have ended their ARG.

Here is the recap / explanation video from Night Mind.

RIP HABIT.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:16 AM, Curt McGirt said:

This has been hitting the festival circuit pretty hard and has been described as "Martin as directed by Abel Ferrara" (FUCK. YES.). Trailer is very NSFW

Speaking of Abel, I noticed that The Addiction is now on rotation on Starz! Networks!

The vampirism / substance abuse allegory is fucking brilliant and Annabella Sciorra has to be one of the hottest vampires ever.

Edited by J.T.

Goddammit, I can't believe I forgot that Abel already DID his own Martin when I read that. In my defense I don't think I've seen The Addiction all the way through; I know I haven't seen the beginning at least. Which is pretty stupid considering I pretty much worship everything Abel's ever done that I've managed to see. 

Crossing my fingers that our Dish subscription has Starz and they're still running it by Sunday...

I finally caught BlackBoxTV creator Tony Valenzuela's Axe Murders of Villisca joint around three in the morning.  That's usually when I have to step up the stay awake entertainment.

The movie is pretty much an episode of BlackBoxTV on 'roids and the acting is adequately YouTubish so if you don't go in expecting Shakespere, you'll be okay.

The plot is pretty much "because ghosts."  if anything annoyed me, it was that the voice distorting effects were so over the top that I really couldn't follow a lot of the dialogue that I assume was supposed to either freak me out or let me know what the hell was going on.. 

These are the technical issues that happens when you give too much money to a guy that is used to working on shoestring budgets.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Goddammit, I can't believe I forgot that Abel already DID his own Martin when I read that. In my defense I don't think I've seen The Addiction all the way through.

Yeah.  You were so hyped about Bliss that I didn't have the heart to blurt out that Abe had already done a vampire movie and then I watched The Addiction on Starz! yesterday around lunchtime and its existence forced my hand and I not so subtly had to burst your Bliss bubble. 

Hey, someone posted the AIP version of Black Sabbath to the YouTubes!

I think the only difference between this one and the Italian version is the order of the stories.   A Drop of Water is first out of the chute followed by The Telephone and then The Wurdulak.

In the Italian version, IIRC the story order is The Telephone / The Wurdulak / The Drop of Water.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Love Black Sabbath, but can't even do it. If it doesn't end with "The Drop of Water" then it just doesn't work. The order of stories in that film is VERY important. 

Yeah, I'm watching the Night Mind EMH recap vid right now.  I needed closure.

15 hours ago, J.T. said:

Hey, someone posted the AIP version of Black Sabbath to the YouTubes!

I think the only difference between this one and the Italian version is the order of the stories.   A Drop of Water is first out of the chute followed by The Telephone and then The Wurdulak.

In the Italian version, IIRC the story order is The Telephone / The Wurdulak / The Drop of Water.

Well, there are different bookends with Karloff.  In the Italian version, it ends that he's riding through some forest, I think, then the camera pans back to show that he's in front of a backdrop with stagehands running around him with branches.

At least, I think that's true.  It's been a great while that I've seen the Italian version.