DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

24 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Jordan Peele's Candyman reboot also has a projected May release as does the Black Widow prequel so Saw will have to fight even harder for dollars with that release date, IMO. 

Candyman is June 12 so it is almost a full month later

And the next Purge movie is July 10

So clearly we are at a one horror movie a month pace

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Candyman is June 12 so it is almost a full month later

And the next Purge movie is July 10

So clearly we are at a one horror movie a month pace

Oi, I forgot that Candyman got pushed down to a June release instead of late May.

The Purge films have wisely embraced its new role as violent dystopian satire, so I am not really sure it counts as a true horror franchise anymore.

It's not unusual to see a Summer release for the odd horror joint, but one a month is very peculiar.

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is also not counting Morbius which is being coded as a horror movie on film sites (That is scheduled for July 31 as of now)

The horror flavored New Mutants movie that promises to be a  pile of shit should also be out around that time

• Haha 1

READY OR NOT

This is just about to come out and none of us have mentioned it. Looks fun (and very funny).

EDIT: It's actually coming out August 21st. They are clearly doing the early, hard sell on this one. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

READY OR NOT

This is just about to come out and none of us have mentioned it. Looks fun (and very funny).

EDIT: It's actually coming out August 21st. They are clearly doing the early, hard sell on this one. 

I think it might have gotten posted in the upcoming thread - partly because it is definitely in the dark comedy zone more than horror

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I think it might have gotten posted in the upcoming thread - partly because it is definitely in the dark comedy zone more than horror

Yeah, more really dark comedy than horror but it looks like a lot of fun.

Avoid the trailer.  I saw it with my daughter when we went to see Crawl on Sunday and the trailer has like half of the fucking murders in it.  My daughter was like, "I guess we can skip that one, Dad, since we just saw what's going to happen."

Unless the ending has some major twist in it, the trailer ruins about half of the movie.

Edited by J.T.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Is that movie gonna find me, and take it slowly?

Maybe. But it might just hex you with some witch's brew if you're doodoo.

• Haha 1

Wolfen was just on satellite so I finally got to see it all the way through. Slow, but a damn good film, with cool cinematography (especially for the time), some sweet gore, and a very strong story that comes to a head right at the end. If you're expecting transformations you will get none (though you will get a naked Edward James Olmos jumping around in the sand); the wolves look gnarly as hell though. There's also one smash zoom cut that I have literally seen done in no other film ever and I imagine it shocking the hell out of audiences in the theater. I didn't know that this was based off a book by Whitley Streiber, who also wrote The Hunger (which I have also never seen all the way through) and of course Communion (because he was visited by aliens apparently). If Showtime wants to play The Hunger next I wouldn't mind, hint hint...

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, J.T. said:

The horror flavored New Mutants movie that promises to be a  pile of shit should also be out around that time

I don't think the universe wants this movie to come out. Something will delay it again...and again...and again

Bad Dreams was finally watched. Nice and nasty, clearly a big Nightmare influence (3, which it resembles the most, was released the year after) but no corny wisecracks and the deaths were more basic/more vicious. The burn makeup on Richard Lynch was frankly repulsive, also unlike Freddy. Harris Yulin as the head psychiatrist (Mel Bursting from Scarface) and Sy Richardson as the cop (the sheriff's deputy in Colors, one of the repo men in Repo Man) get to chew the scenery and Sy has the best reaction in the entire movie, shrugging and walking away after someone falls off a building haha. And because their royalties wouldn't cost an arm and a leg yet, "Sweet Child 'O Mine" plays over the end credits! 

• Like 1

Rewatched American Werewolf in London again. Greatest transformation scene. Still holds up.

I need more werewolf movies for the kids. I showed them a bunch of trailers (Dog Soldiers, Ginger Snaps, Late Phases etc.) and the only one they were really interested in was (sigh...) Underworld. What am I missing?

• Like 1

The Cured is on satellite right now. How the fuck have I never heard of this movie?! It's the practical conclusion of the 28 Days/Weeks series, a post-cure plague story where the remaining 25% of infected are due to be slaughtered unless the cured (who remember what they did while infected and have PTSD, etc.) can stop it, leading to (of course) protests, terrorism, and another outbreak. It's even set in Ireland. Ellen Page is the lead and it came out in 2017 and I have NO MEMORY of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Rewatched American Werewolf in London again. Greatest transformation scene. Still holds up.

I need more werewolf movies for the kids. I showed them a bunch of trailers (Dog Soldiers, Ginger Snaps, Late Phases etc.) and the only one they were really interested in was (sigh...) Underworld. What am I missing?

3 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Funny you mention Late Phases, I like that movie.  The transformation one take is really good, I thought.  But I also like Tom Noonan, and I can buy his look of fear during the brief period the change is occurring offscreen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It Chapter 2 has been confirmed to have a run time of 2 hours, 45 minutes

Have fun with that

The runtime of Chapter 1 was a little over two hours, so it won't be that much longer than the first part.

For some reason, Chapter 2 having nearly a three hour runtime doesn't bug me as much as Midsommar having nearly a three hour runtime.

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Cured is on satellite right now. How the fuck have I never heard of this movie?

I thought I sang the praises of The Cured six months ago when it debuted on Showtime Networks?

It's fucking great!

Matter of fact, I saw that it was coming on sometime this afternoon when I was home for lunch.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, nate said:

Funny you mention Late Phases, I like that movie.  The transformation one take is really good, I thought.  But I also like Tom Noonan, and I can buy his look of fear during the brief period the change is occurring offscreen.

One of these Halloweens, I will have to restack my Top 10 Werewolf Movie list now that I have fairly recently re-watched both Late Phases and Wer.

• Like 1