DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, AxB said:

So, if you had the option, would you put Maggie Gylenhall's face on Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins, or Katie Holmes' face on Rachel Dawes in The Dark Knight?

And turn Billy Dee Williams into tommy Lee Jones?

And turn all the Felix Leiters into Jack Lord? 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 5:48 AM, AxB said:

So, if you had the option, would you put Maggie Gylenhall's face on Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins, or Katie Holmes' face on Rachel Dawes in The Dark Knight?

Can't we just switch both out for Kim Basinger and call her Vickie Vale?

Has anybody seen Crawl yet? I know it's gonna be stupid, but it looks well done and creepy enough. Me finally after all these years watching all of Jaws minus the beginning today* makes me want to see it (and I still have Piranha sitting next to the computer -- and not the 3D one either). 

* I of course had seen all the major parts, just none of the talky stuff, which is actually the glue and is awesome. And "talky" does not refer to Robert Shaw's monologue -- that is fucking beyond awesome. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Has anybody seen Crawl yet? I know it's gonna be stupid, but it looks well done and creepy enough. Me finally after all these years watching all of Jaws minus the beginning today* makes me want to see it (and I still have Piranha sitting next to the computer -- and not the 3D one either). 

* I of course had seen all the major parts, just none of the talky stuff, which is actually the glue and is awesome. And "talky" does not refer to Robert Shaw's monologue -- that is fucking beyond awesome. 

I seen it. If you don't stop to think about the logic gaps, its really well done for the kind of movie that it is and has some genuinely creepy and unsettling moments. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it doesn't waste time getting to what you want to see. Plus, the main characters are actually likeable and you want to see them survive. There is one really stupid heart to heart talk the main characters have when there are BIG ASS ALLIGATORS TRYING TO EAT THEM that is really out of place but the rest of the movie is great

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's the same guy who directed Piranha 3D, so I'm way more confident than I otherwise would be. The man knows how to make quality trash.

What Brian said.  I think I am going all in on Crawl.  it should turn out to be marvelous rubbish.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 11:02 AM, J.T. said:

I watched As Above, So Below a while back and thought it was pretty good.   I enjoyed the concept, but it had plot holes you could drive a truck through.   I try not to ask a lot out of films from this genre so that I am not super disappointed if they turn out to be slightly above average.

I liked As Above, So Below a lot actually. Part of it is that the Catacombs are amazing and creepy intrinsically (I wish I'd been BEFORE seeing it rather than after).

But I also appreciate the dedication to the inversion, with the experiences on the way out mirroring the ones on the way in. It makes the car bit (which is a GREAT visual, admittedly) stick out to me as something which fails to fit into the framework established by the rest of the film. 

Crawl is holding steady at 84% Fresh at RT and both Annabelle Comes Home and the new Child's Play joint have not dipped below 60% Fresh.

Good news for those that are going to see them in the movies or were cowards that are waiting for these movies to show up on DVD or in streaming service queues.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I see Curse of La Llorona is out streaming soon.  Anybody here see it?  Any good?

I just can't stop seeing the name and singing it to the tune of My Sharona. 

That has to be a meme somewhere on the internets.

If Dr. Demento's radio show was still a thing, I'm sure there would be a parody using that idea. 

As for the quality of the movie, sadly it is not that great and it disappoints on the same level that the Slender Man movie did.   

It goes for jump scares rather than cultivates the legacy of the urban legend to create a feeling of dread and that's the sort of atmosphere you'd expect from a horror movie where the antagonist is an evil spirit. 

It's like no one working on this thing ever read a proper Gothic ghost story like The Turning of the Screw or watched any of the Big Three J-Horror onryo joints (Ring, Ju-On, Dark Water).

Edited by J.T.

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So Carpenter spoils the ending of the latest Halloween joint for you with the announcement that there will be two more canon sequels.

Michael apparently doesn't die in the flaming deathtrap in the cellar of Laurie Strode's doomsday prepper cabin at the end of the latest movie.   Somehow the bastard survives and apparently will live on for at least two more films.

I'd say that this would be as dumb as what Rob Zombie is doing with the Devil's Reject, but at least the ending of the latest Halloween movie didn't really confirm or deny that Michael gets killed.

I sorta wish that he had burned to a crisp because the ending of Halloween was very cathartic and I have the bad feeling that this extension of the franchise will get dumber the longer it is dragged out, but Carpenter has full creative control so we'll just put faith in him and see what develops.

Edited by J.T.

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

So Carpenter spoils the ending of the latest Halloween joint for you with the announcement that there will be two more canon sequels.

I have noticed this trend recently - especially with horror movies

I definitely remember the Happy Death Day sequel recapping the entire movie first movie in the trailer

Ah, this was on Starz Suspense last night (and it's showing up again on 12:30 Wednesday morning) and I was surprised to find Julianne Moore was in it (you'll also know 90% of the rest of the cast, the best being Rae Dawn Chong's turn). Figured I might give y'all a heads-up in case you wanted to prepare for Scary Stories with another anthology.

Also, Tales from the Hood is gonna be on Starz Black at 9 AM Monday for a similar dose

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 2:11 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Call me crazy, but I like Jason Goes to Hell. I liked the idea of Jason's spirit being able to transfer bodies until he can be reborn through another Voorhees. Plus, the appearance of the Necronomicon leading to the theory that Jason was a Deadite. Freddy pulling Jason's mask down into hell was the perfect ending. 

I LOVE JGTH. Saw it opening night in  a packed theater. Perfect way to see it. I would rather watch JGTH then the over-rated crap that is Friday part 7.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My daughter, sister, mom, and I went to see Crawl and it was fucking great!  FAMILY FUN FOR ALL~!

It is Jaws with alligators just as you expected it to be.  Soooo wonderfully trashy.

The gators are aggressive, man-hunting, monsters that don't do anything remotely close to what they would in real life, nor would you expect them to.

Oh and in case you need reassurance:

Spoiler

The dog does not get eaten, although it's obviously teased several times.

The father / daughter chemistry between Barry Pepper and Kaya Scodelario is king sized.   The reconcilement between Haley and Dave Keller carries the quiet moments of this movie extremely well!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

The Saw reboot has been moved up to a Summer Blockbuster release date - May 15, 2020 (it was originally scheduled to be released on Oct 23, 2020)

It will be the first movie in the franchise to not open in October

It will be opening against the animated Scooby-Doo reboot movie

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Saw reboot has been moved up to a Summer Blockbuster release date - May 15, 2020 (it was originally scheduled to be released on Oct 23, 2020)

So Scooby-Doo will be the scariest thing that date ; ).

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am baffled by this move.  IIRC, the only significant horror movie that will come out during Halloween month is (duh) Halloween Kills, but there should be plenty of room for other horror joints to earn their share of the October scary movie box office.

Putting horror movies out around Halloween guarantees a decent return even for shitty horror movies.   If it were me, I'd have kept up the tradition and put Saw out around the time that the hardcore franchise grodnards expect one to hit the theaters.

Jordan Peele's Candyman reboot also has a projected May release as does the Black Widow prequel so Saw will have to fight even harder for dollars with that release date, IMO. 

Marvel movies have guaranteed licenses to print money and Jordan Peele can put out movies whenever he likes and expect to do pretty well because it's Jordan Peele.

Edited by J.T.