DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Okay, I have seen [REC], as well as V/H/S (which I liked) and of course Cannibal Holocaust, Man Bites Dog, and Guinea Pig 2 (which is one nasty trio). And maybe The Bay? So yeah, I guess I have seen way more found footage than I thought after giving it a look on Wiki.

EDIT: Also (maybe) Chernobyl Diaries, and (UGH) Diary of the Dead

Edited by Curt McGirt

I found V/H/S and sequels to be a bit uneven with jewels amongst the dreck.  For every really good segment, there was one that was pretty lame.  I think that V/H/S 2 had the best balance, but Amateur Night from the first movie is one of my favorite stories in the V/H/S franchise.

I also liked Safe Haven from the second movie and think that Dante The Great from Viral is a segment that deserved to be in much better anthology.

Man Bites Dog was a bit too bleak for my liking and I just recently watched The Bay not too long ago.  It was pretty good for what it was. 

I particularly liked the concept in The Bay where the survivor watches the found footage and comments on what she sees.  It was funny to listen to her critique her own actions and her wardrobe and drill home how we rarely notice ourselves when we're in the act of doing something.

I wanted to like Chernobyl Diaries but in the end, it felt like just another rage zombie movie.   The found footage joint, The Devil's Pass, at least had the common decency to spin the Dyatlov Pass incident into its mythology and give the rage zombies extra super powers.

Edited by J.T.

One thing that bothered me about the V/H/S movies was the nudity.  I like boobs as much as the next guy, but the female nudity in some segments just screamed of "Okay, we're not quite at an R-Rating so just have whassername flash her tits during this scene."

Naturally I am being a bit hypocritical since I don't have too many issues with slasher movies that have the obligatory shower scene since that is more of a trope than anything.

Sure, it's still exploitative but at least it is something you expect to see in a slasher movie since it is in just about every slasher movie out there.

I hope that made sense even though there is almost zero justifiable logic in what I just said.

I may have to punch myself in the face since I might have fundamentally defended the existence of the sexual assault by giant caterpillar scene in Galaxy Of Terror.

Edited by J.T.

Obvious flaws aside, I'm still a big fan of Cloverfield. Though, of course, I also am the guy who owns 11 Gamera films, multiple versions of most, so giant monster goes a long way with me.

• Like 1

THere's some fun found footage horror. 

@J.T. got me on that NOROI shit and I'm eternally thankful. Can't recommend that enough.

Mr. Jones  is worth the time, as it takes very familiar territory and then goes banana pants for a very refreshing climax.

Taking of Deborah Logan is decent and has at least one very memorable scare, which is more than a LOT of horror films in general.

I'm trying to remember this Spanish one that I saw forever ago about a family that moves into a house. I think it's got like a weird garden or something and the climax involves getting lost in the woods or something.. Anyone know that one? I remember it being pretty fun.

• Thanks 1

In addition to those just mentioned, Digging Up The Marrow is a good found footage flick. It's almost like someone lived in the Night Breed universe and went trying to find out the truth about it. Plus Ray Wise being a creepy guy who knows too much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

One thing that bothered me about the V/H/S movies was the nudity.  I like boobs as much as the next guy, but the female nudity in some segments just screamed of "Okay, we're not quite at an R-Rating so just have whassername flash her tits during this scene."

Naturally I am being a bit hypocritical since I don't have too many issues with slasher movies that have the obligatory shower scene since that is more of a trope than anything.

Sure, it's still exploitative but at least it is something you expect to see in a slasher movie since it is in just about every slasher movie out there.

I hope that made sense even though there is almost zero justifiable logic in what I just said.

I may have to punch myself in the face since I might have fundamentally defended the existence of the sexual assault by giant caterpillar scene in Galaxy Of Terror.

The first VHS this was a problem for, mostly because every short tried to get its shit in, in terms of horror staples. So each one found a way to objectify a woman in under 20 minutes. Given that the framing sequence involved sleazebags forcibly and coercively getting footage of tits, it felt... sleazy in a bad way. Particularly if, like me, you saw it in a theater full of horror fans who cheered when a crying woman's chest was exposed. Not awesome.

2 was a MASSIVE improvement, with only one real cheesecake scene to speak of and being handled more respectfully as well as using the framing bits to kind of acknowledge the fuck up with 1.

As far as I remember, Viral didn't have anything egregious but I can't say for sure because to do so I'd have to remember Viral. Some neat ideas there but what a horrible way to end the franchise, all said.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Obvious flaws aside, I'm still a big fan of Cloverfield.

I am the biggest idiot in the world for forgetting the found footage horror movie that had the biggest budget of them all.

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For the record I googled Spanish horror movie weird garden and that’s what came up

Reading the synopsis - that is one fucked up movie

Sound like something right up my alley.

Guest The Magnificent 7

The Visit was very much a mixed bag and bizarre, but that hide and seek scene with grandma in the crawlspace freaked me out. 

14 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

The Visit was very much a mixed bag and bizarre, but that hide and seek scene with grandma in the crawlspace freaked me out. 

Aie.  I also forgot The Visit.  it was a lot better than I expected it to be.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, RIPPA said:

Atrocious?

Goddamn do I love that movie. AV Club posted an article today about found footage movies worth seeing, and while I don't agree with everything on it, it's a pretty serviceable list of stuff to check out. I have a super soft spot for Willow Creek, so it's nice to see it getting a little love.

https://film.avclub.com/just-keep-filming-16-worthwhile-found-footage-horror-m-1836018013

I watched "Hell House LLC" not all that long ago and enjoyed it as well. I'm a sucker for the genre, though, I give it far more leeway than I probably should.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Goddamn do I love that movie. AV Club posted an article today about found footage movies worth seeing, and while I don't agree with everything on it, it's a pretty serviceable list of stuff to check out. I have a super soft spot for Willow Creek, so it's nice to see it getting a little love.

https://film.avclub.com/just-keep-filming-16-worthwhile-found-footage-horror-m-1836018013

I watched "Hell House LLC" not all that long ago and enjoyed it as well. I'm a sucker for the genre, though, I give it far more leeway than I probably should.

I'm not surprised that I have seen everything on that list.   I thought that the Unfriended movies were okay.  Crowsnest is a Blair Witch clone but at least it holds your attention.

I really enjoyed Grave Encounters and Trollhunter just because they're unapologetically mean spirited.

The lack of Japanese FF Horror on that list makes me sad, but it was good to see The Bay and The Taking of Deborah Logan get shout-outs.

I noticed that The Last Broadcast was not on the list, but I don't consider it to be a glaring omission since it is kinda formulaic and clunky.

I watched As Above, So Below a while back and thought it was pretty good.   I enjoyed the concept, but it had plot holes you could drive a truck through.   I try not to ask a lot out of films from this genre so that I am not super disappointed if they turn out to be slightly above average.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Not to derail too much, but my Facebook feed had a clip from "The Shining", except this face-swapping tech had Jim Carrey's face in place of Jack Nicholson's.  I wanted to post it, but I can't find it again.  There's your mind fuck of the day.

20 minutes ago, nate said:

Not to derail too much, but my Facebook feed had a clip from "The Shining", except this face-swapping tech had Jim Carrey's face in place of Jack Nicholson's.  I wanted to post it, but I can't find it again.  There's your mind fuck of the day.

If I ever decided to do a shot for shot remake of Kubrick's vision for The Shining, I'd hire Jim Carrey to play Jack Torrence.

That being said, I find the same fundamental issues with that casting that I do with Jack Nicholson since I am such a purist when it comes to that particular novel.  

The Overlook Hotel gradually wears down Jack Torrence's resolve until he is not mentally strong enough to resist the Hotel's evil influence.   Since Jim and Jack look batshit crazy out of the shoot, it kinda defeats the idea of physical degradation going hand and hand with mental collapse.

After watching Cary Elwes act his ass off in Saw, I always though he'd be a good choice for a really faithful adaptation of The Shining since he has that stiff upper lip / cultured good looks thing going on that provides the perfect canvass to paint a picture of slow burn madness.

Sadly, some audiences might find my adaptation boring since I'd also keep in the thing that the only casualty of the Overlook tragedy would be Jack Torrence himself.   Dick Hallorann would only get his teeth knocked out by Jack's croquet mallet and Jack would die in the boiler room explosion  just like in the book.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I watched As Above, So Below a while back and thought it was pretty good.   I enjoyed the concept, but it had plot holes you could drive a truck through.   I try not to ask a lot out of films from this genre so that I am not super disappointed if they turn out to be slightly above average.

That movie, while enjoyable, had a lot of the "interconnected horseshit for no reason other than it needs to string these plot points together" disease. Perfectly fine that it exists, but certainly not deep enough to find any real enjoyment beyond its most base level, you know?

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

That's the video

EDIT

Those are the two scenes done so far

If they managed to take as much of Carrey's dialogue that's out there ... I'm thinking like how some people have made, say, a cover of "Ice Ice Baby" using Anderson Cooper newscasts ... and chop it up & sync it to where Carrey's voice is doing the dialogue ... yikes.

So, if you had the option, would you put Maggie Gylenhall's face on Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins, or Katie Holmes' face on Rachel Dawes in The Dark Knight?