DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

22 hours ago, driver said:

Saw Midsommar today on a rare holiday off of work. It is visually stunning and I am still contemplating what the fuck I just watched. Very interesting movie.

I've heard it's beautiful, has a nice Wicker Man vibe, has a terrible relationship plot, and runs way too fucking long.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I've heard it's beautiful, has a nice Wicker Man vibe, has a terrible relationship plot, and runs way too fucking long.

You, good sir, are four for four.

• Like 1

It's three minutes longer than The Shining.

Although I'd guess the actual content isn't quite as long, given how much longer credits are now than they used to be.

Edited by Brian Fowler

I don't have nearly the same patience for long run times that I did when I was younger, and I definitely don't feel like it dragged on too long. Its not a spoiler to say the fact that it's entirely filmed in daylight contributes to the disorienting feeling for the viewer, and I'd argue that the movie being a little longer helps with that, as well. I was wary of the run time too, but I don't feel like the movie drags, it's deliberate. 

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's three minutes longer than The Shining.

Although I'd guess the actual content isn't quite as long, given how much longer credits are now than they used to be.

I liked Hereditary okay, but I'd trust Stanley Kubrick and Jack Fuckin' Nicholson with 2 hrs and 30 minutes of my time more than the guy who did one okay movie and a cast of "some actors".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, driver said:

I am. She is amazing in this movie, especially during the pre-title sequence. Now I need to see Fighting With My Family.

Try your best to ignore what you know about the real life Paige, and it's a pretty damn fun movie.

I went to see Midsommar yesterday.  I thought it was really good and was also surprised by the runtime. 

I expected it to be a slow burn like Hereditary, but not THAT slow.

I think I need to go see the new Child's Play joint or the latest Annabelle misery as a palate cleanser.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, jaedmc said:

I liked Hereditary okay, but I'd trust Stanley Kubrick and Jack Fuckin' Nicholson with 2 hrs and 30 minutes of my time more than the guy who did one okay movie and a cast of "some actors".

Technically I feel the same way but I share King's disconnect when it comes to the movie's content vs the novel's.

I think that is why I really hope that Doctor Sleep doesn't suck.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I also saw and liked Midsommar, and now am thus forced to finally watch Hereditary. It was a bit long in the tooth but the payoff was pretty good, which made up for a slightly tedious midsection. 

Spoiler

Personally I didn't much like these kids and was just waiting for them to get bumped off. The strength in the film was in its misanthropy -- besides the lead, nobody and particularly society as a whole whether modern or ancient were viewed as awful. 

Speaking of kids, christ, is Florence Pugh even pubescent? She looks all of about fourteen. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

A very interesting review.  

I really agree with

Spoiler

the idea that both Hereditary and Midsommar have a common theme when it comes to exploring the horror that results from surrendering authority or autonomy.

Nothing bad happens to anybody in either film until the characters voluntarily compromise their own sensibilities for the sake of a group or a concept whether that be Anne's snap belief in the supernatural as a way to communicate with her dead daughter or Dani choosing the insanity of the path of the May Queen over trying to figure out the real reason behind Christian's "betrayal."

I am not sure if Aster's motivation for this is political satire but in these divisive times when people have their opinions handed to them rather than form them on their own, it is very interesting to see prominent horror / suspense films Hereditary, Midsommar, Await Further Instructions, The Ritual, and Us! roll around that speak to the hazards of losing your social voice, giving your identity away, or voluntarily allowing yourself to be assimilated by a movement, a concept, or an idea.

Normally, you'd expect that sort of social satire to come from a zombie movie or another installment of The Purge.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I also saw and liked Midsommar, and now am thus forced to finally watch Hereditary. It was a bit long in the tooth but the payoff was pretty good, which made up for a slightly tedious midsection. 

Hide contents

Personally I didn't much like these kids and was just waiting for them to get bumped off. The strength in the film was in its misanthropy -- besides the lead, nobody and particularly society as a whole whether modern or ancient were viewed as awful. 

Speaking of kids, christ, is Florence Pugh even pubescent? She looks all of about fourteen. 

Your reasoning for Midsommar is the same reason I hate Blair Witch Project (specifically related to the kids)

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Your reasoning for Midsommar is the same reason I hate Blair Witch Project (specifically related to the kids)

This is my only criticism of Midsommar.  I knew it would probably be as bleak as Hereditary so,

Spoiler

yeah, I expected everyone to either die or go batshit crazy. 

Mission accomplished.

Wasn't terribly thrilled about the victims being so young, but I guess that adds to the impact of the horror.  The frightening thing about true evil is that It really doesn't care about what it destroys.  Young, old, innocent, guilty.  Everything is forfeit.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So not only is Chris Rock in the Saw reboot but Lionsgate has confirmed that Samuel L Jackson will play Rock's Dad

They piqued my curiosity with the whole Chris Rock Is Writing a Screenplay For a Saw Reboot, but Sam L. being interested enough to put himself in the cast may put my ass in a movie seat if only for morbid curiosity.

Edited by J.T.

Yeah, if you have a problem with detestable leads, Midsommar is not the film for you. FWIW I've never been able to sit through Blair Witch -- any found footage film, actually. 

27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So not only is Chris Rock in the Saw reboot but Lionsgate has confirmed that Samuel L Jackson will play Rock's Dad

This entire sentence baffles me.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, if you have a problem with detestable leads, Midsommar is not the film for you.

FWIW I've never been able to sit through Blair Witch -- any found footage film, actually. 

You need to put [REC] and NOROI:  The Curse on your weekend must watch list.

Matter of fact, along with NOROI there are probably one or two of Koji Shiraishi's shoestring budget found footage joints that you might like.   I recall both Cult and Shirome being fairly decent despite the obvious dearth in production costs.

The strength of those projects seems to be Koji being able to get people in front of the camera who seem genuine so it's easy to immerse yourself in the action when you have people onscreen that aren't actors who are just mugging for the camera.

Edited by J.T.