DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, I get all that.  But adding supernatural elements to this would be like Leatherface and Grandpa suddenly casting spells at the end of TCM.  Are House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects unrealistic and feature some fantastical elements?  Sure.  But they still happen in something resembling the real world. 

Now if the Firefly family is resurrected by the witches from Lords of Salem as part of some Rob Zombie shared universe, I guess that's cool.

This totally make sense so the chances of it happening are close to zero.

I think I might like to see Doom Head and Otis play the Who's The Better Killer game at some point.

Edited by J.T.

I just got the phone alert while I was out at lunch!  I really dug the trailer and the emphasis on name recognition (REDRUM) to quickly get people iindoctrinated with The Shining's mythology.

A few noticeable departures from the world building in the books:

Spoiler

Abra Stone  is now an African American.  Interesting.

Unless they are making the character of Sandy Reynolds a black woman, I'm guessing they are abandoning the story plot point that Abra Stone is Danny Torrence's great half-niece by way of an illicit affair that Jack Torrence had with Abra's grandmother when Torrence was a former teacher.

Either that or they link Abra Stone's telepathic lineage to another character by having her family related to Dick Hallorann, the other major ESPer in the novels, since King made it a point of invalidating the events of Kubrick's movie by insisting that they stress in the script for Doctor Sleep that Hallorann does indeed survive the events of The Shining.  

Dick Hallorann is portrayed in Doctor Sleep by Carl Lumbly.

It's Hallorann who helps Danny refine his powers as Danny gets older.  Danny eventually learns how to use his telepathy to bind the spirits from the Overlook that have pursued him and his mother after the major events of The Shining concluded.

Danny's ability to capture ghosts with his psychic ability is very similar to the destructive way that the members of the True Knot use their powers to extract the souls of other telepaths after they've been tortured to death or feed on high concentrations of negative energy.

In Doctor Sleep, the True Knot vacations near New York just after 9/11 so that they can feast on the collective anguish of the city following the attack on WTC.

but nothing that should really make any severe impact on the main storyline.

I'm glad they didn't put the whole movie in the trailer, but it could've use a bit more scare provided by Rose The Hat or maybe another member of the True Knot.

Edited by J.T.

The easiest answer is that the shootout at the end of The Devil's Rejects was some kind of dream sequence and they actually got captured. That's a totally lame crock of shit but it's the easiest way to bring them all back. I mean Zombie started his Halloween sequel with a fifteen-minute dream sequence, didn't he? I was just thinking about TCM 3 the other day and how it was so different from the first two TCM's (different family, frightened and beaten dog, mentally ill Leatherface is now suddenly idiot bully Leatherface) that they might as well have turned him supernatural to explain how he came back from having his guts chainsawed out in TCM 2. Also it would've at least given that awesome Excalibur trailer some relevance to the film if Leatherface was actually resurrected in the movie itself.

I do like the idea of a shared Rob Zombie universe if it means Richard Brake is playing Doom-Head in this. I figured he was just playing some demented cousin or one of Mama Firefly's many bastards. The Dr. Satan scenes in Corpses were pretty far out there. Dr. Satan and the mutant with the flamethrower certainly didn't look like remotely normal human beings to me. That whole underground lair scene is pretty disparate from the rest of  House of 1,000 Corpses and especially from anything in The Devil's Rejects. To Technico's overall point,  the Firefly clan never interacted with any of those mutant weirdoes so it was easier to just shrug off as random crazy shit that happened at the end of Corpses without affecting the main story of the Fireflies.  

Edited by FluffSnackwell

woah I didn't expect so much Kubrick to be in that movie. 

Could be a boon or a curse for me. I love The Shining(movie and book) but this movie seems feels too modern in its movie making. So if it's referencing the Kubrick movie that much I might just end up bummed it wasn't made by someone aping that style.

I've got punked into pulling duty tomorrow since the contractors at NSC are trying to milk OT in support of some home station training exercise.  Extended thread testing, my ass.

I get my kid this weekend since it is Father's Day on Sunday, but we can't bounce to MD until after work tomorrow, so we'll be hanging out at my 'rents for PIZZA AND HORROR once again.

Last week we watched Overlord which fucking ruled and I believe that tonight we'll be checking out:

The_Hole_in_the_Ground_(2019_film).png

because it's available on DVD for the cheap at Wal-Mart.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

God Banana Splits meets Five Nights at Freddy's

Have fun fucking sleeping tonight

This doesn't really ruin my childhood because I always thought the fucking elephant was creepy looking.

The People Under the Stairs is still just as crazy as the back of the box art made it look when it came out on VHS. Everett McGill and Wendy Robie are so fucking batshit and Craven's ODing on his love of booby traps is just too much. It's gonna be on again later tonight on Showtime Beyond if anybody wants to see it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The People Under the Stairs is still just as crazy as the back of the box art made it look when it came out on VHS. Everett McGill and Wendy Robie are so fucking batshit and Craven's ODing on his love of booby traps is just too much. It's gonna be on again later tonight on Showtime Beyond if anybody wants to see it.

So much good stuff in that movie. It has one of my favorite first acts in horror.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I think it was just really messed up lobotomy patients of Dr. Satan.

Really? If that's the case, I can safely say it went right over my head.

Wikipedia agrees with you, so I guess I either didn't pay close enough attention or I'm just dumb. Shrug

Edited by Brian Fowler

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, it is high on my Black History Month Horror Movie list.

I think that Overlord will crack the list next year.