DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

I thought that the design of the xenos in Aliens was frightening enough, but they sorta lost their mystique when they were getting dropped like flies by the marines's pulse rifles. 

It was weird how the xenos depended on numbers in Aliens, while it only took one to eradicate the entire crew of the Nostromo in the first film.

Well, they kinda had to depend on numbers against that firepower. The Xenomorph had it easy in Alien because they were basically unarmed against something they couldn't even poke with a sharp stick for fear of it bleeding acid all over the place.

EDIT: Go figure, what's been on BBC all morning? Alien, and now Aliens, then Prometheus

Edited by Curt McGirt

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well, they kinda had to depend on numbers against that firepower. The Xenomorph had it easy in Alien because they were basically unarmed against something they couldn't even poke with a sharp stick for fear of it bleeding acid all over the place.

I agree, but the thing that makes the xeno scary in the first movie is its aura of unstopability and in Aliens, they just get gunned down by the truckload.

Yeah you've got a point. But my issue is not just that but literally the design, with the different look to the head. The smooth, shiny head on the OG Xenomorph is just creepier than the weird design Winston worked into his Xenos. And the Queen, though it looks awesome, was never scary to me, even as a kid. 

He knocked the Facehuggers out of the park though.

Something that's been nagging me since last night is the existence of a self-destruct feature on the ship in Alien. Why the hell would a multinational corporation put something like that into such an expensive piece of hardware? That's like us putting that function into a space shuttle.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Something that's been nagging me since last night is the existence of a self-destruct feature on the ship in Alien. Why the hell would a multinational corporation put something like that into such an expensive piece of hardware? That's like us putting that function into a space shuttle.

I'm guessing that Weyland-Yutani is understandably paranoid about someone getting their hands on the shipboard computers since the creepy AI already has installed directives to capture the xenos for bioweapons research and they don't want that info falling into the wrong hands.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Considering Ripley wasn't even allowed to access Mother until Dallas' capture I'm surprised she even knew about the self-destruct function.

I'm sure that the Weyland dudes don't even tell the crew what the REAL reason is for having the self destruct device on board.

It's counter intuitive.   The Nostromo is a mining vessel so why blow it up in the event you have to escape?   Just fucking bounce and turn on a beacon so you can go back with a fucking army and recover whatever resources are still stored on the ship.

But no.  Protocol is to destroy the ship when you evac and that training is probably drilled into their heads so that they don't event think to question why.

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Speaking of Rob Zombie.... I just watched the new Halloween movie and I don't think it's really any better than either of the Rob Zombie ones. 

On one hand, I liked the new one.

On the other, I also think the Zombie movies are way too unfairly hated on. The people who call them the worst in a series that has 5 (shut up @piranesi), Curse, and Resurrection just baffle me.

It's not that I didn't like it, I DID. But I don't know if I like it better than what Zombie did in either of his. His had their own troubles, but I was kinda satisfied with them. The original Halloween is kinda perfect. So remaking it or creating a sequel only appeals to me if the person making it just applies their own creativity and aesthetic. Zombie decided he was making a Rob Zombie movie, and not an approximation of a John Carpenter movie and I respect and appreciate that.

This new one felt like they had the the third act down first, which was awesome - and how they got there was just whatever as long as they got there. That's how the dialogue was too. Like they were writing for a trailer and not a movie with characters. Even with the references to Laurie's history post-Halloween night, I still didn't get much depth, same for her daughter. It felt it was in the peripheral even when it was supposed to be the focus of the scene.

I thought the Rob Zombie reboots of Halloween okay.  I didn't really need to know about his wretched home life, even though it does make the scene where Danny Trejo's orderly character gets it a bit heart wrenching as the dude sees Michael as a person and not an inhuman monster and dies trying to reach out to what little humanity that Myers might've had left.

Michael not being able to drive in the RZ Halloween movies bothered me the same way that organic webshooters bothered people in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies.  Michael being able to pick up how to operate a motor vehicle had to have come mostly through observation which supports Loomis's premise that Myers has almost inhuman focus and mental discipline. 

There is an orderly and determined mind behind the mask and all of that madness.  He is smart enough to know that any escape plans need to include the ability to use transportation so he quietly accumulates that knowledge over years of imprisonment.  

I enjoyed the new official sequel for what it was but I thought it was needlessly gory.  The original Halloween was rather bloodless as far as slasher movies go and they got progressively more violent as the franchise went on.  I think a proper send-up to the original film would've still been pretty violent, but perhaps not as viscerally gratuitous.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

3 FROM HELL (2019) -- to be released this Fall

God bless, Rob Zombie.  As long as he is alive, Sid Haig will have semi-regular employment.

• Like 1

I like how the Filrefly family being obviously gunned down in a blaze of glory is somehow going to turn into "the bullets missed all the important organs and we arrested them." For fuck's sake, you clearly see at least Baby and Captain Spaulding get shot just below the throat while Otis seemingly gets hit multiple times in the upper body.  Not sure how you come back from that.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 1

Yeah, Rob has been annoyingly evasive about how the Fireflys survived the hail of bullets that put them down in The Devil's Rejects.

He keeps saying that this movie is a sequel rather than a prequel, so somehow Otis, Baby, and Spaulding somehow managed not to die even after being shot multiple times individually.

As for how this happens, I will go with "it was all a dream."  None of the Fireflys has so much as a scratch on them in the trailer, so I have to guess is that the ending of The Devil's Rejects all plays out in someone's head (probably Otis).

It is the representation of how Otis wants to go out and not what actually happens aka they are captured alive and unceremoniously taken into custody.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I’ve just been assuming that they’re literally back from Hell. It’s not like the other movies are grounded in a reality that rules it out.

Yeah, my other choice would be "Satan" and that they are living up to The Devil's Rejects moniker and that 3 From Hell is literally what's going on.

They are such foul individuals that even Hell refuses to keep their souls.

• Like 1

Yeah, I get all that.  But adding supernatural elements to this would be like Leatherface and Grandpa suddenly casting spells at the end of TCM.  Are House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects unrealistic and feature some fantastical elements?  Sure.  But they still happen in something resembling the real world. 

Now if the Firefly family is resurrected by the witches from Lords of Salem as part of some Rob Zombie shared universe, I guess that's cool.

• Like 1