DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

15 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'm trying to read that book but can't really get into it.  But god damn do I hate when trailers obviously frankenstein dialogue together.  So many obvious edits in those voiceovers.  I did better edits than that cutting magnetic tape back in the day. 

The first few chapters are tough with all of the backstory and world building, but once it gets rolling the story is hard to put down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

The first few chapters are tough with all of the backstory and world building, but once it gets rolling the story is hard to put down.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll try to get back into it.  I've read most of Hill's stuff and generally enjoy it.

3 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Looks more comedy than horror, but I tried. The cast is ridiculous. Iggy Pop as a zombie...

Yeah I put it in the main Upcoming thread mostly because it looked more Shaun of the Dead than anything

Plus I don't know if I would every consider Jim Jarmusch a horror director

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah I put it in the main Upcoming thread mostly because it looked more Shaun of the Dead than anything

Plus I don't know if I would every consider Jim Jarmusch a horror director

Jim is a master of many genre.  He can do anything.

Edited by J.T.

Orlando Jones will star in Lexicon’s horror movie “Dark Forces” with Anthony O’Brien (“The Timber”) directing.

O’Brien will direct from a screenplay by Lexicon producers Mark Mathias Sayre and Justin Foia. Production is expected to take place this summer in Romania.

Jones will portray a monster movie director who becomes haunted by creatures from his own films while recovering from brain surgery.

I'd heard nothing but bad reviews from everyone I know who had seen the Pet Semetary remake and they were right. The pacing is bad, the most important aspects of the story are glossed over or left out (Jud and Louis' surrogate father/son relationship, Zelda, Timmy Baterman, Louis' relationship with Rachel's family, etc), and the previews really do give everything away.

Julianne Moore will stare in the adaptation of Stephen King's Lisey's Story for Apple TV

It is being produced by JJ Abrams and supposedly King will be writing all 8 episodes

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Julianne Moore will stare in the adaptation of Stephen King's Lisey's Story for Apple TV

It is being produced by JJ Abrams and supposedly King will be writing all 8 episodes

Makes sense that King would pen the episodes himself since he's publically stated that Lisey's Story is his favorite of all the long form prose he's written.  It's also a very personal story since IIRC it was inspired by conversations he had with his wife, Tabitha, while he was convalescing in the hospital after he was nearly killed after being hit by a van.

Tabitha moved the furniture around while he was recovering from his injuries and that inspired him to write a story from the perspective of being a ghost in his own home and watching his wife live her life after his death.

Stephen King is a weird dude.

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Makes sense that King would pen the episodes himself since he's publically stated that Lisey's Story is his favorite of all the long form prose he's written.  It's also a very personal story since IIRC it was inspired by conversations he had with his wife, Tabitha, while he was convalescing in the hospital after he was nearly killed after being hit by a van.

Tabitha moved the furniture around while he was recovering from his injuries and that inspired him to write a story from the perspective of being a ghost in his own home and watching his wife live her life after his death.

Stephen King is a weird dude.

He also wrote himself into the Gunslinger books.  Again, yep, a weird-ass dude.

It's funny...he rushed to finish them because he was afraid they'd be his Canturbury Tales, where the author dies before finishing.  Now that he's outlived the last book by like two decades, maybe he could retcon that shit like Halloween and come up with a better ending.

14 hours ago, Technico Support said:

He also wrote himself into the Gunslinger books.  Again, yep, a weird-ass dude.

It's funny...he rushed to finish them because he was afraid they'd be his Canturbury Tales, where the author dies before finishing.  Now that he's outlived the last book by like two decades, maybe he could retcon that shit like Halloween and come up with a better ending.

Hopefully the TV series will do that.

Didn't he also talk about retiring after the last one... And then just kept going for another 15 years and counting?

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hopefully the TV series will do that.

Didn't he also talk about retiring after the last one... And then just kept going for another 15 years and counting?

Technically he did sorta quit since most of his major novels since the accident haven't had the supernatural bent that his previous King-verse work had.  He's been writing a lot of hard crime / psychological thrillers lately.

It is selfish and morbid to say this, but him nearly getting killed did have something of a positive effect as it inspired him to get busy with the Dark Tower novels and try to finish the meta story. 

He didn't want to die and have his magnum opus left as an incomplete and orphaned epic.

Edited by J.T.

From Peter Sobczynski's review of Pet Sematery on Rogerebert.com: 

These days, it seems as if virtually any movie that's at least 25 years old and not named "She’s Out of Control" is now considered a classic. This attitude has become so prevalent that even a film like the 1989 version of “Pet Sematary” is now considered to be a work of greatness in some quarters, even though that take on Stephen King’s infamously dark 1983 novel was, aside from a good performance from Fred Gwynne at his most avuncular and a cheerfully cheesy title song from the Ramones, little more than gross, stupid and incompetently made garbage.

...what an asshole.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

Technically he did sorta quit since most of his major novels since the accident haven't had the supernatural bent that his previous King-verse work had.  He's been writing a lot of hard crime / psychological thrillers lately.

It is selfish and morbid to say this, but him nearly getting killed did have something of a positive effect as it inspired him to get busy with the Dark Tower novels and try to finish the meta story. 

He didn't want to die and have his magnum opus left as an incomplete and orphaned epic.

.maybe he should get on the blower with GRRM

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

.maybe he should get on the blower with GRRM

You ever see that clip with the two of them and Martin is legitimately stunned by how many pages King writes in a day?

12 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Ehhhhh... Walter's not wrong...

I think he's remembering the sequel more than the original movie.  The first Pet Semetary joint wasn't that bad, but Pet Semetary 2 was hot garbage.