DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

If you would have told me five years ago that Jordan fucking Peele would be the hot new horror director I would have laughed you out of the room. He has a cover story in the new Rolling Stone and comes off a really nice, smart, hard-working guy. Like any sane person he had reservations about taking the Serling position but I think he'll be rather good at it. 

EDIT: The only reason I even know this is because I got stranded at Meijer last night when the headlights went out on my ride and I had to escape inside for a moment; the magazine rack and the DVDs were the only place to go. I actually almost picked up Get Out...

• Like 1

Holy shit you weren't kidding. I know complaining about trailers showing the entire movie is old hat, but they literally gave away every major plot point right there.

Spoiler

I guess if they're going for the "dead kid is Zelda reincarnated" Ellie dying makes sense, but the direction they're taking looks weak. The whole kids in masks portion still looks like a cheap scare tactic.

It also looks like they're expanding on the book's mention of the wendigo. The passage in the book where Jud and Louis are taking their first trip to the Indian burial ground is one of the legit creepiest segments of any of King's work.

They'd better not have a shitty cover of the Ramones song at the end.

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

Holy shit you weren't kidding. I know complaining about trailers showing the entire movie is old hat, but they literally gave away every major plot point right there.

Hide contents

I guess if they're going for the "dead kid is Zelda reincarnated" Ellie dying makes sense, but the direction they're taking looks weak. The whole kids in masks portion still looks like a cheap scare tactic.

It also looks like they're expanding on the book's mention of the wendigo. The passage in the book where Jud and Louis are taking their first trip to the Indian burial ground is one of the legit creepiest segments of any of King's work.

They'd better not have a shitty cover of the Ramones song at the end.

I'd say it's almost a certainty there will be a shitty cover of the Ramones at the end. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Re-watches of The Church and Southern Comfort. 

Soavi is great, but there isn’t alot of glue holding scenes together. I forgot how random some of the threads are. One minute you think the main thrust is going to be kids getting possessed in the church and attacking everyone and then nothing ever comes of it. 

Then you have a guy ripping his own heart out, jumping into a fast sports car zipping through the streets so he can show up as a devil-goat man to terrorize his girlfriend. Only that gets forgotten for 45 minutes until he decides to be goat man again making love to his entranced girlfriend in the basement. 

Just way too much going on with no main thrust. 

It all looks fantastic, though. I wanted a whole movie set in the beginning sequence with the Teutonic Knights rooting out the Satanists. That beginning was nuts in a good way. 

Southern Comfort’s end sequence is amazing at the bayou block party. I may like Extreme Prejudice a sliver better but those two are Walter Hill’s best two pictures. 

45 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I forgot how random some of the threads are.

You need to take in mind that this film was originally Demons 3. Make sense now? 

Southern Comfort I need to see again, and all the way through. Brutal picture, that one. 

EDIT: BTW, that goat is fucking terrifying looking

• Like 1

I'm not thrilled about the Pet Sematary plot swap, but

Spoiler

at least they kept the tendon slicing scene!

I hate that Child's Play trailer.  I'll throw my hat behind the Chucky series on Syfy.

I forgot to add the sad news that the reason that Nick Antosca's scheduled got freed up to be the showrunner for Chucky is because Syfy announced at the end of January that Channel Zero has been cancelled after four seasons. :(

• Sad 1

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:15 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Dammit, really need to pay more attention to Daily Grindhouse... or just Shudder, which I actually pay for. http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/coming-shudder-horror-noire-history-black-horror-2019/

Horror Noire is a great documentary.  Million Billion Stars.

And since it is Black History Month, here is my Black Horror Top 10 List: 2019 Edition.

1. Get Out (duh)

2. Night of the Living Dead 

3. Candyman

4. The Girl With All The Gifts

5. Blacula

6. Attack The Block

7. Ganja & Hess

8. The People Under The Stairs

9. Def By Temptation

10. JD's Revenge

Other stuff you should watch:  Sugar Hill, Nailed, Dead Heist, Scream Blacula Scream, Tales From The Hood

Stuff that is so bad that it is great:  Devil Doll From Hell, Holla!, Crazy As Hell, Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror, Tales From the Hood 2 (so campy, but still worth the watch), Abby

Stuff that is just plain bad:  Bones (sorry Snoop..), Shadow:  Dead Riot (ugh..), The Inheritance

I am also not particularly crazy about Spike Lee's remake of Ganja & Hess aka Da Sweet Blood of Jesus but I do applaud Spike for single handedly drawing fresh attention to a nearly forgotten classic..

Obviously there will be some shake up in next year's list since I will have watched Us a dozen times by next February.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I forgot to add the sad news that the reason that Nick Antosca's scheduled got freed up to be the showrunner for Chucky is because Syfy announced at the end of January that Channel Zero has been cancelled after four seasons. :(

That is a darn shame. I thought they had been improving with each season. I enjoyed them all, but especially those last two.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, but, he's working on Chucky with Don Mancini so this is good.

Since it is Black History Month and we've mentioned Don Mancini and this is the Horror thread....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:51 AM, RIPPA said:

Ma

Yeah, the running joke now is that Us and Ma are the only horror movies I will be able to convince my boo to watch with me at the theater because the cast has black people in it.

Speaking of my wonderful significant other, the weather is supposed to be shit this weekend so my kid and I may roll to see Happy Death Day 2U (66% Fresh, thank God) sometime on Saturday while my boo studies for her Network+ exam.

I wanted to post the new trailer for the upcoming suspense joint, Greta, starring Chloë Grace Moretz and Isabelle Huppert and directed by Neil Jordan but in the usual fashion, the fucking trailer nearly gives the entire movie away.

Check it out at your own peril.

Greta hits theaters on March 1st.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I wanted to post the new trailer for the upcoming suspense joint, Greta, starring Chloë Grace Moretz and Isabelle Huppert and directed by Neil Jordan but in the usual fashion, the fucking trailer nearly gives the entire movie away.

Check it out at your own peril.

Greta hits theaters on March 1st.

Imagining that as a movie where the big bad is Greta Garbo. 

"Dont leave her alone..." 

My kid and I went to see Happy Death Day 2 U on Saturday.  She enjoyed it, but I was a bit bummed because as AxB has put it, it has transformed from a slasher movie with preternatural elements to a sci-fi movie with horror elements.

Even so, it's definitely worth checking out.  The amount of risk taking involved and determination not to tell the same story twice is really admirable even when it doesn't quite work out.

Spoiler

The basic premise is that the Ryan, the Asian roommate of Tree's now boyfriend, Carter, is responsible for the time loop that Tree was trapped in during the first movie.

He has built some sort of quantum suppressor that slows down all particles to the point where ripples in between dimensions can occur and space-time folds in on itself.

Even in a spoiler, I don't want to spoil too much, but Tree is sent to a parallel dimension where things are VERY different and in order to return home, she has to repeatedly commit suicide in order to retain the knowledge passed on by Carter and Ryan as they try to configure the space time device.

Remember, the day repeats over and over again so anything that Carter and Ron learn during the 24 hour period is lost as the day resets, so Tree is the only person that can pass on the knowledge of the failed experiments on to Carter and Ron after the reboot.

There is kind of a mystery subplot involving the Baby Mask Killer, but the overall story is pretty muddy.  

The truly refreshing thing is getting to witness Tree's continuing maturation.  You get to see her act on the life changes she implemented in the first movie. She's sweet and brave and caring and pretty much everything she wasn't before she first experienced the time loop.  She's a character that is very easy to care about and you end up think that perhaps the jagged storyline isn't quite deserving of her.

Oh, and there is a very cathartic mid-credit scene, so don't leave too quickly.

I give it three skulls out of five.

The trailers for Ma, Us, and La Llorna were in the previews of coming attractions and those movies will hit between now and Summer.  I feel like the Summer movie rush has already started and February is usually the tail end of the dump month season.