DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

RE: Hereditary

I thought it was a parody of every white indie movie about family dysfunction. They always have some niche liberal arts job like miniatures artist, or Proust scholar, or failing theatre director, failed novelist, etc etc etc. They've got a parent they didn't understand and who didn't understand them. That parent is either dead or dying. Sometimes there's a roadtrip where they learn about each other. There's a teenager who just can't wait to get out. A younger child who's extra quirky.  MAybe they where an astronaut helmet, or want to be in beauty pageants or cut heads off birds.

So this family felt so ridiculously dysfunctional from the get go that I just laughed at all the stuff. I rooted for the evil to just rip them apart like you would Freddy or Jason. I really enjoyed it. I think I laughed the hardest when Joann stopped Toni Collette in the parking lot and said her grand son died too. He was seven years old. cut to Collette going "OH MY GOD." It felt like a joke from Adam Sandler movie where someone says something crazy and it cuts to Sandler going "GOOOOO that was the grossest thing I've ever heard AHLEZGO!

The prolonged shot of the head. was gross. Then it stayed on extra long and then it became funny. LOOK AT THE GODDAMN HEAD.

I loved it. 

Edited by jaedmc
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

The prolonged shot of the head. was gross. Then it stayed on extra long and then it became funny. LOOK AT THE GODDAMN HEAD.

I loved it. 

So did I.  

At first I was repulsed, but then I realized that the gore was the joke and then I laughed a little.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I can't say I laughed at that part, but I did laugh at the lack of some sort of reckoning for the son after all that he did.  Gabriel Byrne at some point was like "I can't lose a son as well" and grilling him up steaks or some lobster for dinner.  If you come home with one half of a body / head combo of your little sibling after prioritizing smoking up at a party you are eating some Top Ramen or PB&J for a long fucking time. 

20 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I can't say I laughed at that part, but I did laugh at the lack of some sort of reckoning for the son after all that he did.  Gabriel Byrne at some point was like "I can't lose a son as well" and grilling him up steaks or some lobster for dinner.  If you come home with one half of a body / head combo of your little sibling after prioritizing smoking up at a party you are eating some Top Ramen or PB&J for a long fucking time. 

And that's the thing.

Normal parents would've been outraged at the very least, but the kid brings his sister's headless dead body home and suffers no repercussions whatsoever.

Why? Because this family is fucked up and no one really gives a shit about Peter.   In order to be angry with Peter, Anne first has to acknowledge Peter's existence and she'd rather not do that.  She's already tried to kill her kids once via narcoleptic induced immolation because deep inside she despises being a mom.

Peter has been dead to Anne ever since that day.  Peter's father loves him in his own way, but he is clearly insulating himself from his family's insanity. Steven uses a stern and combative voice when talking to his wife, Anne, as if tough talk is supposed to mean that he is in control of the situation when clearly he isn't in control of anything.

Anne tolerates Peter because he serves as Charlie's protector when Anne has to focus on work. When he fails miserably at the one thing she requires from him, Peter fades back into non-existence to her.

The only reason Anne heaps so much concern on Charlie is because she is in competition with her mother.  Anne desperately wants to be better than her mother at some aspect of parenthood, but Anne is tragically unaware of the true nature of her mother's concern for Charlie's well being.

It is amazing to see so many passive aggressive people in one family unit and to note how so much of the family's collective dysfunction is both psychologically and supernaturally linked to Anne's mother.

Is Hereditary the one where people were half convinced it was really called 

Spoiler

Her head hit a tree

but pronounced as all one word?

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Syfy has acquired the rights to the Chucky TV series

Yep.  Don Mancini is trying to get ahead of the heavy CGI adaptation of Child's Play that is coming out this June.

Mancini was not asked to contribute to MGM's Child's Play reboot featuring Aubrey Plaza and Gabriel Bateman. 

MGM has the rights to the movie title but Mancini has the rights to Chucky / Charles Lee Ray, so MGM is going forward with a Chucky-less horror movie with some other demon possessed toy doll while Nick Antosca (Channel Zero) is going to produce Mancini's television series featuring the new slasher adventures of the Chucky we're all familiar with.

There is also a reimaging of The Grudge coming out in August as well as a modern retooling of Jacob's Ladder (yep, you heard that right) with Michael Ealy slated for a TBA 2019 release.  It is rumored that Karla Souza (How To Get Away With Murder) will reprise the late Elizabeth Peña's role of Jezebel in the new Jacob's Ladder joint.

I was going to post that yesterday, but I got to gabbing about Hereditary.

.We may as well include this in the reboot news:

Transplanting Curt's YouTube link to the Pet Sematary (2019) trailer from the 2018 thread to this one.

Release date is April 5th.  This trailer came out last October.

And funny that we should be talking about Hereditary since Ari Aster's new joint, Midsommar, should be coming out in August.

Since I transplanted the trailer for Pet Sematary from the 2018 thread to this one, I suppose I should do the same for the trailer for The Prodigy.

This should be out in like a couple of weeks or so.

After reading all this shit about Hereditary I'm not sure if I haven't been making the right decision in letting my download of it sit like a bad pierogi on the plate this whole time. How long is it? I don't want to sit through some indie-riffic 2 1/2 hours of rich white people problems with a thin veneer of horror to spice it up. 

The Clovehitch Killer was a really solid serial killer suspense film. When recommending it to some friends the other week it also made me realize that I couldn't tell the difference between Patrick Dempsy, Dermot Mulroney, and Dylan McDermott (the one who is actually in this movie).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am putting this here so JT doesn't yell at me (it's going in the regular thread too)

zombieland-2.jpg?resize=768,845&ssl=1

Zombieland is more of a black comedy like Warm Hearts or Shawn Of The Dead.  I probably would've let that slide.

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Zombieland is more of a black comedy like Warm Hearts or Shawn Of The Dead.  I probably would've let that slide.

I figure if Bloody Disgusting is covering it, you want it in the Horror thread ?

22 hours ago, J.T. said:

MGM has the rights to the movie title but Mancini has the rights to Chucky / Charles Lee Ray, so MGM is going forward with a Chucky-less horror movie with some other demon possessed toy doll while Nick Antosca (Channel Zero) is going to produce Mancini's television series featuring the new slasher adventures of the Chucky we're all familiar with.

According to a magazine I was reading yesterday (remember those?) it's going to be called a "Buddi Doll."  I mean, it's a cute reference to My Buddy, which Chucky was based on, but come on.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

After reading all this shit about Hereditary I'm not sure if I haven't been making the right decision in letting my download of it sit like a bad pierogi on the plate this whole time. How long is it? I don't want to sit through some indie-riffic 2 1/2 hours of rich white people problems with a thin veneer of horror to spice it up. 

Watch it.

You can't rely on message board bullshit no matter how much you respect/hate the posters.

I found Hereditary interesting, but it is a polarizing film.

• Like 3

It's my custody weekend and my kid is recovering from the stomach flu.  We watched the new Halloween joint last night and loved it.

She ate an entire pizza, so that was a good sign.

• Like 1

The final trailer for Happy Death Day 2U has been popping up a lot lately.

Most of you already know the new release date is Feb 13th to give it a day to make some cash before it goes nose-to-nose with Alita:  Battle Angel, the WWE Paige joint, Fighting With My Family, and the Rebel Wilson comedy, Isn't It Romantic.

SSTTITD gave me the abso-fucking-lutely worst night terrors in middle school.  Never, ever, stay up for something like 40 hours straight until you're just begging for sleep, when you've spent a significant portion of that 40 hours trying to scare the crap out of yourself and everyone else around you.

I should probably go just to prove to myself that I can. 

I probably won't, because I probably can't.

• Like 1