DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Happy Death Day 2U has been moved up to Feb 13 (instead of Feb 14)

Feb 14 is the one year anniversary of the Parkland shooting and Universal decided it didn't want it coming out on that day. It will also not be shown in Parkland or the surrounding areas. They have also said they will stop marketing the film in that area.

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Happy Death Day 2U has been moved up to Feb 13 (instead of Feb 14)

Feb 14 is the one year anniversary of the Parkland shooting and Universal decided it didn't want it coming out on that day. It will also not be shown in Parkland or the surrounding areas. They have also said they will stop marketing the film in that area.

I thought they were pushing it up to the 13th simply because the Feb 14th is Valentine's Day and a black comedy like this film probably wouldn't make for the best date movie idea.

It is not hard to see the wisdom in not releasing a movie with the words Happy Death Day in the title on the anniversary of the Parkland mass shooting. I think that is a very respectful decision on the studio's part.

I am sure the Twitter backlash is as vile and tasteless as I expect it to be.

15 hours ago, AxB said:

There are parts of America where a mass shooting hasn't taken place? 

Here in Petersburg, VA, there has never been a mass shooting.  We like to kill people one or two at a time.

There has been, to the best of my knowledge, exactly one mass shooting in the area I live. The Post Family Massacre. 5 months after I was born, some reporter for the New York Times ended up having to find out where Farwell, MI is. https://www.nytimes.com/1982/02/19/us/small-town-in-michigan-feels-the-dread-that-follows-mass-murder.html

One of the surviving family members is the stepfather of one of my closest friends. The Alice Russell mentioned in the article taught at the school I went to, though I never had her (my sister did.)

My step-grandfather, years before he married my grandma, picked up Robert Lee Haggart hitchhiking out of town after. Obviously, he had no idea.

So I went ahead and hooked up Shudder. $3.99 a month for a plethora of horror film and TV. I finally can force myself to watch all of Dust Devil now! Plus they've got all the Dead Or Alive movies and a bunch of Kinji Fukasaku for whatever reason -- total bonus. 

The clencher was seeing that all of the Joe Bob stuff was still on there, so he's the first victim. First one I decided to watch? Sleepaway Camp. I haven't seen it since I was literally old enough to go to the camp. "For mom, a doer"... uh, okay...

• Like 3

Guest The Magnificent 7
On 1/23/2019 at 2:37 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I added some version of Colour out of Space on my Amazon Prime watchlist.  I'm not sure when it came out.  My watchlist is long so it'll be a while before I get to it.  It's free right now, though. 

It has to be better than the super low budget Dunwich Horror that I tapped out on in the first 15 minutes on Prime.  Hopefully.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:32 PM, The Magnificent 7 said:

I added some version of Colour out of Space on my Amazon Prime watchlist.  I'm not sure when it came out.  My watchlist is long so it'll be a while before I get to it.  It's free right now, though. 

It has to be better than the super low budget Dunwich Horror that I tapped out on in the first 15 minutes on Prime.  Hopefully.

The super campy one from the 1970's with Sandra Dee and Harry Dean Stanton? 

It is a guilty favorite of mine even though it's really bad.

Guest The Magnificent 7
3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The super campy one from the 1970's with Sandra Dee and Harry Dean Stanton? 

It is a guilty favorite of mine even though it's really bad.

No this was (checks my Letterbox'd diary) from 2009 and had Dean Stockwell and Jeffrey Combs in it.  I don't know if it was the mood I was in, but everything screamed this will be a complete waste of your time in the first sequence and I bailed.  I rarely bail on movies.  I've endured some nonsense over the years so take that for what it's worth.  It had an alternative title Witches: the Darkest Evil.  You may have to search for that on Prime.

In the past few months the horror I've seen (most are obviously rewatches)...

The Beyond

It Comes at Night

The Witch

Annihilation

Opera

The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977)

The Blackcoat's Daughter

Zombi (Fulci)

Unearthed and Untold: The Path to Pet Sematary

Pet Sematary

Dead Birds

Sleepaway Camp

Invasion on Chestnut Ridge

Hellraiser

Society

Nightmare City

Hereditary

If anyone wants to chat about any of these, they are somewhat fresh in my mind.

1 minute ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

No this was (checks my Letterbox'd diary) from 2009 and had Dean Stockwell and Jeffrey Combs in it. 

I am dumb.  I typed Harry Dean Stanton when I was thinking Dean Stockwell.

Dean played the evil warlock, Wilbur Whateley, in the 70's schlock classic and then played the hero, Dr. Armitage, in the remake. 

9 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Society

Hereditary

Execproducer and I chatted up Hereditary quite a bit in last year's Halloween thread and I think that Control has been burning to have a full discussion on Society ever since going on that Body Horror kick last spring.

Guest The Magnificent 7
10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Execproducer and I chatted up Hereditary quite a bit in last year's Halloween thread and I think that Control has been burning to have a full discussion on Society ever since going on that Body Horror kick last spring.

Hereditary was good, but I read after I watched it that the writer / director had written a script that had no horror elements (was just a drama about grief) and he thought he would get a distributor if he tacked on horror stuff and that's what the movie felt like to me when I watched it.  The acting was great except for the son, and there were some powerful scenes and it was well-made all around, but the witch cult thing just felt like it was assembled last minute.  I would like to see it again knowing what is coming, but I don't like it when movies introduce a book telling who this demon dude is and it lasts all of 10 seconds and you are expected to jump on board this mythology train.  I mean if you are going to convince me to roll up in people's houses buck naked with my dong hanging out in a dark doorway I would want to know more about what the Paemon guy is going to do for me long term.  Know what I mean?

It was levels below The Witch IMO. 

Society is all sorts of crazy. 

1 hour ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Hereditary was good, but I read after I watched it that the writer / director had written a script that had no horror elements (was just a drama about grief) and he thought he would get a distributor if he tacked on horror stuff and that's what the movie felt like to me when I watched it.  The acting was great except for the son, and there were some powerful scenes and it was well-made all around, but the witch cult thing just felt like it was assembled last minute.  I would like to see it again knowing what is coming, but I don't like it when movies introduce a book telling who this demon dude is and it lasts all of 10 seconds and you are expected to jump on board this mythology train.  I mean if you are going to convince me to roll up in people's houses buck naked with my dong hanging out in a dark doorway I would want to know more about what the Paemon guy is going to do for me long term.  Know what I mean? 

The thing about Hereditary is that the supernatural stuff makes absolutely no sense and feels tacked on until the minute you realize that

Spoiler

the cultists orchestrated the entire thing.  The reason that Grandma Graham dotes over Charlie is because the old biddy knows that Charile is Paiman's vessel.  Riches to the conjurer and all of that.  The cultists then stalk the Graham family and gently nudge them on the path to destruction in order to fulfil their goal of finding Paiman a new body.

My only real criticism of the story is that Charlie's death seems to happen at an extremely deus ex machine-esque convenient time to reinforce the movie's themes of unprocessed grief as well as push the plot of Paiman's reincarnation along. 

What would've happened if Charlie had not died when she did?  What if the brother, Peter, had died first?

I have been famously harsh on the J-Horror classic, Ring, for its lack of cynicism when it comes to folklore and the supernatural, but somehow I found myself forgiving this movie for this very idea simply because Anne is so inconsolable that she is ripe for manipulation. 

Anne is so devastated by the loss of her daughter that she is willing to believe just about anything if it will help her to completely avoid processing her sorrow, and I give this force feeding of story pass because her husband is right there to represent the cynicism (specifically the cynicism of the audience) that SHOULD be there, but isn't.

It is interesting to see how the injection of the supernatural affects Anne and Peter.  Anne is absolutely elated that she has the opportunity to have her daughter in her life again, while Peter is terrified because it forces him to deal with the guilt linked to his role in his sister's death.

I thought that Alex Wolff did a pretty good job of portraying Peter as a privileged kid that has had his world turned violently upside down and it is sad to note that his family's collective doom is not delivered by accident.

Guest The Magnificent 7
54 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The thing about Hereditary is that the supernatural stuff makes absolutely no sense and feels tacked on until the minute you realize that

Reveal hidden contents

the cultists orchestrated the entire thing.  The reason that Grandma Graham dotes over Charlie is ebcause the old biddy knows that Charile is Paiman's vessel.  Riches to the conjurer and all of that.  The cultists then stalk the Graham family and gently nudge them on the path to destruction in order to fulfil their goal of finding Paiman a new body.

My only real criticism of the story is that Charlie's death seems to happen at an extremely deus ex machine-esque convenient time to reinforce the movie's themes of unprocessed grief as well as push the plot of Paiman's reincarnation along. 

What would've happened if Charlie had not died when she did?  What if the brother, Peter, had died first?

I have been famously harsh on the J-Horror classic, Ring, for its lack of cynicism when it comes to folklore and the supernatural, but somehow I found myself forgiving this movie for this very idea simply because Anne is so inconsolable that she is ripe for manipulation. 

Anne is so devastated by the loss of her daughter that she is willing to believe just about anything if it will help her to completely avoid processing her sorrow, and I give this force feeding of story pass because her husband is right there to represent the cynicism (specifically the cynicism of the audience) that SHOULD be there, but isn't.

It is interesting to see how the injection of the supernatural affects Anne and Peter.  Anne is absolutely elated that she has the opportunity to have her daughter in her life again, while Peter is terrified because it forces him to deal with the guilt linked to his role in his sister's death.

I thought that Alex Wolff did a pretty good job of portraying Peter as a privileged kid that has had his world turned violently upside down and it is sad to note that his family's collective doom is not delivered by accident.

I agree it tried to cover its tracks.  I definitely got that the whole thing was orchestrated.  For example, I don't know if you remember that the telephone pole had that strange symbol on it in a brief shot so once the SHTF that whole plan appeared to make sense.  I just wanted to know about the mythology and the lore.  The why, if you will.  Like those pictures of granny doing weird shit in the photo album were awesome as they weren't super nutso, but just enough off-putting like WHAT. 

I'm a big fan of The Ninth Gate, as that whole movie is about finding lore and stuff in old dusty tomes and you really get embroiled in the mythology and conspiratorial stuff of it as things close in.  It just bugs me a bit when lesser movies introduce the expository book that is going to tell you the rules about this werewolf or whatever, and you see a name and that's about it.  I'm interested in that stuff. It's hand waving-esque to not elaborate at all.  I mean is Paemon going to take over the world like in Prince of Darkness or is he going to smoke some more dope under the bleachers?  Because Paemon looked like the same doofus in human form at least. 

This, for me, was "yeah there's some witch shit going down."  I just wanted more context. 

The kid who played Peter let out the worst "scream" ever when he jumped out the window.  His levitating ma is sawing her head off with piano wire and there are naked dudes up in his attic just staring at him and he basically said "Gosh" like she told him to shut off his Xbox and jumped out.  I have an attic and you can take out the piano wire cutting off heads part and I'd still be screaming more animated than that if there was any naked old people up there. 

I didn't hate Hereditary by any means, but people went way OTT with the praise on it IMO. 

2 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I'm interested in that stuff. It's hand waving-esque to not elaborate at all.  I mean is Paemon going to take over the world like in Prince of Darkness or is he going to smoke some more dope under the bleachers?  Because Paemon looked like the same doofus in human form at least. 

The movie goes briefly over Paiman's role as the "knower of secret things," so you are left to conclude that Paiman rewards his followers by giving them prophetic knowledge of the future that they can use to acquire wealth or gain influence in society in exchange for their worship and providing the demon with a mortal body to inhabit so that it can enjoy the pleasure of life and the flesh that come with being mortal.

Like any other devil, Paiman is interested in damning souls to oblivion in exchange for worldly pleasure.  Even in Revelations, Satan's goal in establishing dominion over the earth is to keep as many human souls out of Heaven as possible.   Taking over every nation on the planet is just a means to an end.

Paiman and Satan are enemies of mortal salvation.

I think that Hereditary is a wonderful first foray into the director's chair for Ari Aster, but I also think that it is a bit overhyped as the movie is chock full of the problematic issues that you typically find in an initial film.  The pacing is clearly dependent on Toni Collette's energy and the events in the story seem to happen way too conveniently at first glance. 

I like how the movie forces you to be an engaged viewer but holy fuck, not everyone has read The Lesser Key of Solomon and knows what Paiman is and represents, so a few more clues about the mythology (along with a bit more skepticism concerning the supernatural) might've been warranted. 

Guest The Magnificent 7
54 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The movie goes briefly over Paiman's role as the "knower of secret things," so you are left to conclude that Paiman rewards his followers by giving them prophetic knowledge of the future that they can use to acquire wealth or gain influence in society in exchange for their worship and providing the demon with a mortal body to inhabit so that it can enjoy the pleasure of life and the flesh that come with being mortal.

Like any other devil, Paiman is interested in damning souls to oblivion in exchange for worldly pleasure.  Even in Revelations, Satan's goal in establishing dominion over the earth is to keep as many human souls out of Heaven as possible.   Taking over every nation on the planet is just a means to an end.

Paiman and Satan are enemies of mortal salvation.

I think that Hereditary is a wonderful first foray into the director's chair for Ari Aster, but I also think that it is a bit overhyped as the movie is chock full of the problematic issues that you typically find in an initial film.  The pacing is clearly dependent on Toni Collette's energy and the events in the story seem to happen way too conveniently at first glance. 

I like how the movie forces you to be an engaged viewer but holy fuck, not everyone has read The Lesser Key of Solomon and know what Paiman is and represents, so a few more clues about the mythology (along with a bit more skepticism concerning the supernatural) might've been warranted. 

I think you put more thought into than the director did.  I like your phrasing of the nature of Satan as well (high five from a Catholic to a Baptist). 

I maybe would have liked to see the seance lady or some of the other folks vacation homes or something to drive the point home because whatever secret things Paiman is sharing wasn't showing up in her apartment, at least.  :)

You are right for a debut this was super solid and it had a ton going for it in delivering creepiness.  I just want to see those skills wed to something a little more refined in the story department.