DVDVR Message Board

2019 NWA Thread

10 hours ago, Peck said:

Was cool seeing Zicky Dice again. Caught him at the inaugural Blackcraft show in Pittsburgh last year(what happened to that group, anyways?) and he definitely stood out.

I thought he was Steve Corino for a second

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 1

Zicky came across like a tatted up Joey Ryan in a watch along I was a part of in a Facebook group I was in.

The TV title field is quite stacked for as small a roster as the NWA has. The 6:05 time limit is a real nice touch.

CW Anderson was a pleasant surprise. 

There was great attention to detail in Eli Drake cutting his promo in a hoarse voice. The No DQ match in a studio setting was good for it being in such a confined space.

Josephus Claus running out of gifts before meeting Tennessee Vol Santa was fantastic.

Stu on commentary is a work in progress. At times he was more marble mouthed than Eli Drake. his sit down with Marty and him putting over the Tim Storm angle at the end were good.

Dave Marquez as the interviewer is so good.

• Like 2

Aron Stevens was hilarious saying "belts" over and over because you can't say that word in WWE.

It would be great if someone debuted in WWE and started talking about "wrestlers" and "belts" and "title shots" like they missed Orientation Day.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Enjoyed the closing angle tying some things together, although a bit bizarre for Aldis to do such a complete 180 on Tim, from telling him how much he belongs in their previous interaction to now telling him his time is over. It also further made me wish even more they never did the 'can never challenge again' stip with Tim, cause the ending here was prime setup for babyface revenge from Tim, who still comes off as the great top babyface.

Well, just because Tim can't challenge for the title again doesn't mean he can't beat Aldis' ass into the ground in a non-title match. Perhaps leave him for dead right before a title match.

Does anyone else think they're trying for a Lord Athol Layton vibe with Bennett as the hulking British announcer?

• Like 1

Wont get into a full detailed report on Episode 9 but I will say that they did explain why they didn’t air the triple threat and showed footage from the match. I’ll stop bitching about that.

The Ten Pounds of Gold was tremendous I’m glad they played it on the show. That was how you build towards a PPV Main Event.

The Rock N Roll are tag champs in 2019. What a year these two are having.

21 hours ago, Peck said:

Was cool seeing Zicky Dice again. Caught him at the inaugural Blackcraft show in Pittsburgh last year(what happened to that group, anyways?)

Seems they stopped running after their WM Weekend show where they were rushing against the building's curfew to finish it with 10-20 second title matches.

10 hours ago, cubbymark said:

There was great attention to detail in Eli Drake cutting his promo in a hoarse voice. The No DQ match in a studio setting was good for it being in such a confined space.

Forgot to mention that but yeah that was an excellent added touch for Eli's promo.

First time I've seen Powerrrrrrrrrrrrrr since the Cornette incident and they're rolling hard. Everything just flows from one thing to another perfectly and the crowd is always hot. They might be trying to cram a lot in, but it makes them look like they have a lot of irons in the fire. Stevens kills me and it's good to see another old flame in Barrett. I love the tag titles, the 3D eagles popping out of them are classy as hell. 

On a side note big props to the dude with the OLD AS HELL Obituary shirt in the front row. I think I might've had that design in middle school (or maybe just wanted it badly). 

Long time lurker here who has wayyy too many thoughts about NWA Powerrrrrrrrr (and sometimes MLW, too). I kind of want to start posting some of these thoughts here instead of wasting them completely in the occasional YouTube comment, but they get ridiculously ramblingly long. Like "start a damn blog, weirdo," long.

Show reviews in threads aren't generally a thing here, but would anyone object to me doing some long-form yammering about the NWA shows here? Appreciate any feedback regarding board etiquette.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Doghouse Reilly said:

Long time lurker here who has wayyy too many thoughts about NWA Powerrrrrrrrr (and sometimes MLW, too). I kind of want to start posting some of these thoughts here instead of wasting them completely in the occasional YouTube comment, but they get ridiculously ramblingly long. Like "start a damn blog, weirdo," long.

Show reviews in threads aren't generally a thing here, but would anyone object to me doing some long-form yammering about the NWA shows here? Appreciate any feedback regarding board etiquette.

If you think they're too long you can always let us know and then put them in spoiler tags for easier scrolling. Other than that, I'm with Morelock. Go for it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Doghouse Reilly said:

Always good to have more thoughts and reviews added

• Like 1

OK, so the previously warned about NWA Powerrrr thoughts... I've gone out of my way to not get spoiled by the tapings, so forgive me if there's something that's common knowledge via those that I'm blissfully ignorant of. If this is too much to scroll by, I'll edit in spoiler tags. Thanks for the encouragement to post. I love writing about good wrestling, but there's not nearly enough of it anymore...

So, episode 10: 

I'm so glad Aron Stevens is getting the time to heel it up to his heart's content. Hope they keep him working with Colt Cabana for awhile since that seems to keep Colt more earnest and less goofball, which is nice. I presume the two of them are having a blast coming up with ideas for things to do. 

I find Thunder Rosa to be the most compelling lady in wrestling, so I don't even care why she and Melina Perez were going to the ring (and sweet Christmas, dat Melina! I know... I'm sorry...). I'm just happy to see them. Anyone know why Ashley Vox's sister/tag partner (Delmi Exo, Wikipedia tells me) isn't in the NWA as well? Seems like having a regular tag team like the Sea Stars would be a good addition, especially if Allysin Kay and ODB are going to be palling around now. Also... poor, dumb Marti Belle... convinced to turn on her friend, and already she's her crew's whipping girl. But since she's burned her bridge with Kay, where else does she have to go? I hope this isn't a quick reversal of her joining the group and is instead a way to give her something more to her character than "the one that isn't Melina or Rosa who is there to take pins." 

The return of the Television Title... anyone get the impression it's back just because the design of the title is a classic? Also, don't you need "TV" for a Television Title? Anyway, the matches having a 6:05 time limit is a cute gimmick, and I'm perfectly happy to see a six minute sprint every week. It's a great way to give the lower-card talent something to fight for, and gives a lot of guys something work with in the ring, story-wise. A cagey heel stalling his way through six minutes without ever even locking up (Larry Zbyszko could hold that title forever), a monster winning squashes, and underdog getting flash pins... plenty of ways to use six minutes matches to get a character over. I don't want them to just dump belts out left and right, but as long as there's a reason for the title and the matches are different, I'm optimistic. 

Hey look, CW Anderson! Glad they let him get a spinebuster in. That's a guy worth having on the roster; hope he's not just in for a one-off. "Outlandish" Zicky Dice is an amazing piece of indy sleaze, I immediate want to see him get destroyed, and am disappointed when he wins, so job well done, Zicky. He didn't do CW any favors by overdoing the showboating before the finisher, though. CW had to figure out a way to get stuck in the corner long enough for the guy to get the win, and ended up looking like a bit of goof. Hit the neckbreaker quick to steal the win, THEN gyrate the hips, Zicky. Also, please consider a singlet. You've got too much post-fatbody jiggle for trunks. 

After's Zicky's win, I noticed the ABC and CBS sideplates prominently displayed on the TV Title belt and it struck me how antiquated the concept of network television feels now. I am an old, old man. 

Dave Dawson corpsing at Zane winding up the crowd was precious. Interesting setting up the Dawsons as patsies in the Aldis/Wild Cards conspiracy. I love it when stories like this seem to have more moving parts than what we're blatantly shown on screen. I'm hoping the Dawsons threatening to reveal the conspiracy turns out to be what finally had Aldis go public with his connections.

"I'm always angry! This world makes me angry!"  -- Eddie Kingston

Me too, Eddie... me too.

Pretty amazed that the RnRs are still champs after the PPV. If I'm being honest, though, I hope we're seeing the farewell tour of a great act, and not the beginning of some Rolling Stones-esque zombie shamble of diminishing returns. I love them as vets who are so experienced that they can capitalize on any mistake in a match to get a win, but their offense just looks so rough now... their timing is gone because their bodies just can't quite do what they used to. The brief interview afterwards did a good job slipping in a little fuel on the "Nick Aldis has had enough of this respectful bullshit" fire, if they so choose, too. Ricky, when asked, says Nick has a long way to go to get on the NWA's Mount Rushmore. Nick ends the episode aligned with the guys that want to kill the RnR and take back the Tag titles. The RnR could pick much worse way to wind up a last run than being beaten into bloody pulps by the new top baddies. Just sayin'...

My biggest complaint about the Wild Cards has been the lack of direction and development for them as characters. Putting them in Aldis's stable will help remedy that, I hope, because until now they've been a crime in search of a motive. 

Josephus Claus? Josephus doing anything he can, including dressing up in a funny outfit and pandering to the crowd to get a positive reaction? Hmmm... I "Question" his motives. 

James Storm plays a badass like a badass. No bitching, no excuses, only justified frustration and barely contained rage. Much more interesting than the one-note caricature he's generally been in TNA. 

Interesting set-up for the TV Title tournament. If I understand it, the matches that were set up are just qualifiers, and not actually tourney bouts, and that all Zicky D. did earlier was to qualify for being drawn for the qualifiers. It's all more convoluted than necessary, but I'm a sucker for tournaments and wish they were a more regular part of US pro wrestling, so I'm just happy to see one. Nick Aldis taunting the field sounded more like ribbing and an attempt to goad the competition to upping their game, more than it did a heel shitting on the competition, and him putting his name in the hat did a good job of adding importance to the TV Title. But then he goes full heel at the end of the show... I don't know... mixed messages there. I'm hoping him calling Ricky Starks over during his promo and repeating his line about Ricky being his "#1 draft pick" is a prelude to Aldis trying to recruit Starks to his stable. Starks benefits either way from being the guy personally recruited by the champ, or being the young iconoclast who refuses to join the champ. Aldis's interview was interesting, not just about that, but in his "No comment," comment about Marty Scrull, not having heard Ricky Morton's comments earlier, and how Kamille was no longer his insurance policy. Presuming Kamille now has some other title (or is just considered a full partner in Aldis's crew) he managed to stay completely neutral and truthful in his responses. I like that about Aldis… he's a dick, but he's always just barely on the right side of the line. He'll willingly give you a shot at the title, but preferably on his own, most favorable terms. He'll break a rule to win a match, but shake your hand afterward. He'll whinge about being treated unfairly, but then lay out logical reasons to justify the feeling, and then go on to find a way to win, regardless. It gives him more depth than any wrestler I see working.  

Wow, Eli Drake's gone full-on babyface. Not where I expected him to go with his shit-stirring from the earlier episodes, so hooray for subverting expectations. Also, I'm really glad we seem to going 100% heel for Ken Anderson as well, since he's about as unlikable a guy as I see on the roster. It's an ugly and kind of meandering little brawl they have through the crowd, but it told a good story, ultimately. A dastardly attack needs to be followed up with a good brawl. Drake selling the throat with a scratchy voice was great. How does a loudmouth really get pissed off? Take away his voice. They pressed the fact on commentary that both this and the match at the PPV were clean losses, as well. Drake even goes mega-face by tossing the chair away at the end and beating Anderson with his finisher alone. It's enough to make me wonder if Anderson is leaving, because this feels like a guy doing jobs to put someone over on the way out. Again apologies if there's some common knowledge about someone else signing him that I don't know. 

Then, here comes Aldis to get in Tim Storm's face... for no reason I could immediately discern. Bennet does a yeoman's job of putting over Aldis as being miffed at Tim Storm saying Scurll deserves a title match, even using the phrase "fantasy booking," and that the champ found it disrespectful, but man, is it inadequate. It felt like Tim was intended to say more to set this up during the match, but neglected to get it in; maybe one of the few times having Vince yelling something in somebody's headset would have been a good thing. Nick getting on Tim's case seems especially left-field with their well-established mutual respect. Wild Cars doing the ambush on Tim, Kamille teasing dissension only to spear Tim out of his loafers... it all ends up feeling like "See marks, we're definitely bad guys because we just beat up the 100% goodest good guy here?" instead of something with more set-up. I understand why; this crowd would probably have cheered Aldis and co. if it had been James Storm catching the beatdown. But it just strikes the wrong note in comparison to the excellently logical booking we've gotten until now. Speaking of fantasy booking, this feels like it could have been done more effectively if a post-match interview with Eli Drake lead to him being in Tim Storm's spot during the attack. Eli was so mega-face with the crowd, Aldis and co. would still have gotten the requisite boos, but Drake has had enough friction with Aldis to justify the initial confrontation (even taking a shot at Aldis during his pre-match promo). Hell, let Tim come to make the save (remember Eli was the guy who gave Tim a pep talk and asked to tag with him when he was down), maybe just trying to talk his friend Nick down instead of throwing hands, and still get the dogshit kicked out of him by Wild Card and Kamille. You can tell the same story you were setting up, and juice up Eli's babyface push a little more at the same time. It also makes a lot more sense for Aldis to orchestrate an attack on someone coming for his title than someone who is honor-bound not to challenge again. That stipulation keeping Tim from challenging ever again was mentioned as basically being nothing official, just a gentlemen's agreement. I don't see any reason for Tim to keep that agreement now. 

If Aldis going public now with his alliance was motivated by the Dawsons threat to spill the beans, it'll help patch the logic holes. It's not like Wild Cards beating them down a bit would have kept them from talking. Maybe pushing up the timetable caused them to pick Storm to make an example of (and Aldis to prove he's as dirty a player as Wild Cards). I don't know... maybe I'm just hoping we haven't had as big a lapse in logic as it seems, and there's more to the story we'll hear next week. Oh, before I forget, I miss Cornette as he legitimately added historical context and insights with his color commentary, as well as a true "voice" of the NWA, but Stu Bennet is potentially a good replacement. I think he's still finding his feet (he could stand to add some more heelish commentary to his act) but has skill. I don't really have thoughts on Marty Scrull in the NWA one way or the other yet, so both get incomplete grades. 

Edited by Doghouse Reilly
dumb words not good
  • Like 3

I like your points about Aldis turn and reveal being a bit forced and illogical. While watching the episode I wasn't paying full attention to the commentary and at first I didn't even understand what caused this confrontation.

And yeah, them beating up Drake probably would have been more logical, but I assume that Aldis/Drake is likely big title match thats coming after whole Marty thing wraps up and they don't want to start their confrontation too early. On the other hand I'm not sure what Drake is supposed to do now till stuff with Marty wraps up?

Ultimately I think the problem is that they have only Tim as a babyface (and now Drake to some extent) that everyone loves, there just isn't anyone else for Aldis/Wild Cards to beat and get some heat from it.

16 hours ago, Archibald said:

I like your points about Aldis turn and reveal being a bit forced and illogical. While watching the episode I wasn't paying full attention to the commentary and at first I didn't even understand what caused this confrontation.

And yeah, them beating up Drake probably would have been more logical, but I assume that Aldis/Drake is likely big title match thats coming after whole Marty thing wraps up and they don't want to start their confrontation too early. On the other hand I'm not sure what Drake is supposed to do now till stuff with Marty wraps up?

Ultimately I think the problem is that they have only Tim as a babyface (and now Drake to some extent) that everyone loves, there just isn't anyone else for Aldis/Wild Cards to beat and get some heat from it.

I think Storm may just not been produced enough to get over the angle while on commentary. I didn't even realize he was still at the desk by the end of the match, he was saying so little. Has Tim Storm ever done much commentary? Maybe he was out of his element. 

Before the angle with Anderson, I'd agree that Drake would have been the wrong choice to get heat on, but damn, he was wayyy over as a babyface with that crowd, especially after throwing aside the chair and getting a clean win. Drake could be the lead face now, but there's still others Aldis and co. could go after to get that heat. I'd imagine the Rock & Roll are going to get destroyed by Aldis and Wild Cards soon, right down to Ricky Morton getting his face shredded on the concrete again. They love Cabana, too, give him a beatdown and cost him a match with Stevens. Hell, Murdoch gets plenty of love from their crowd, and seeing the chubby, humble good ol' boy get a beatdown from the cocky heels should get some heat as well. 

It's interesting to me that Powerrr started with so many tweeners and casual alliances and seem to have just let things shake out naturally as to who is and isn't a solid face and heel, now. Everyone's increasingly more defined rolls are feeling like organic outgrowths of their personalities, instead of feeling like actors being cast in roles, a la WWE. There's clearly a lot more thought behind the booking and a LOT more collaboration going on between the talent and booker(s) than WWE's main roster. There used to be talk about Billy Corgan having a 20 year plan to revive the NWA brand. Seeing the evolution from 10 Pounds of Gold to Powerrr today, I believe it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I dunno man. Zicky Dice to me is like if someone got Steve Corino really drunk and told him to do his best Rick Rude impersonation

I hope they keep Zicky around to do some jobs. Dude is ridiculous in all the right ways for a low-card scumbag. I feel like I could watch Murdoch punch him in the face all day.