DVDVR Message Board

2019 NWA Thread

I thought it was a good show. Could have been better in parts, but overall it was fun to watch. I thought for sure Storm was going to win the NWA Title. Is Aldis a heel or a face? With Marty there he's going to have to go full heel because no one is cheering him over The Villain. 

I hope Melina and ODB are sticking around. They can be a good veteran anchor for a lot of those up and coming women. Plus I want to see Thunder Rosa vs. ODB.

It was a show.

Marty making an appearance might lead to something interesting, but other than that and Thunder Rosa being cool nothing really clicked for me. I don't want to say that it was a bad show, but I don't think that it really stood out in either match quality or story/characters from other wrestling that we have available. Unfortunately "remember the good old days?" is still main point about NWA. Is it enough for me to continue watching? Not sure, I guess it will depend on who is on the next set of tapings.

I liked the show. I think Good News Barrett is a solid move and actually pushes the product more towards the now.

The women were all good. ODB was a fun surprise. Trevor Murdock vs The ? Mark was fun. The R n R Express, albeit all grandfathers, didnt look that out of place. Oddly enough I thought it was odd seeing them being roughly the same size as their opposition (which they didnt really have in their prime other than against the Midnight Express).

Cabana vs Starks vs Stevens didnt quite keep my attention.

Nick Aldis coming out on top was a bit if a bummer. I was hoping for a James Storm run. 

perfectly acceptable show. didn't feel all that special IMO.     ?Question Mark? remains a highlight.

Aldis-Storm was solid. i like Aldis as champ but it's been two years now, time to move on.

Marty Scurll was definitely a surprise, but we've already seen him vs Aldis.  hope he has a short term deal on his way to AEW.

they're doing another ppv in January? seems way to rushed with this roster.

Edited by twiztor
formatting
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

perfectly acceptable show. didn't feel all that special IMO.     ?Question Mark? remains a highlight.

Aldis-Storm was solid. i like Aldis as champ but it's been two years now, time to move on.

Marty Scurll was definitely a surprise, but we've already seen him vs Aldis.  hope he has a short term deal on his way to AEW.

they're doing another ppv in January? seems way to rushed with this roster.

Marty vs. Aldis again before Marty makes his way to AEW?

5 hours ago, Casey said:

This is probably the indie appearance that Meltzer was referring to when talking about Marty and why he likely hasn’t re-signed with ROH (because they wouldn’t let him do this if he had).

It doesn't really make sense to me. First of all this will likely end up being three appearances: one we saw, on the tapings and on the next PPV. And I don't get why RoH wouldn't let him do this? From all we know they had friendly split earlier this year and if Marty says "I'm staying with you but I want to do few dates for NWA" then I can't see why RoH would object to that. After all Cabana was doing both RoH and NWA at the same time and it didn't look like RoH had problems with it.

I think if he showed up on MLW or Impact show then it would make more sense to me as a sign that Marty is leaving RoH.

He wasn’t on today’s tapings, and Colt Cabana means far less to ROH than Scurll does, but okay, I guess? Comparing a top star to someone who is basically a midcarder (in both promotions) doesn’t make sense to me.

I'm not sure that I follow. If midcarder can work both companies for couple of months (I'm not sure if Cabana is back for NWA tapings? or he is gone from there as well?) then why top star wouldn't be able to? Kinda how Jericho, Moxley and Omega can work AEW and NJPW?

On 12/15/2019 at 6:14 PM, twiztor said:

My thought exactly. Their last match at Crockett Cup was really good, but this felt like a step back to what Aldis was doing before Powerrr rather than a step forward towards a new direction.

On 12/16/2019 at 12:46 PM, Peck said:

Hell with Marty, the biggest question about the tapings is if Tennessee Volunteers Santa Guy was there.

And the answer is yes!  As was "It's Still Real To Me, Dammit" Guy. 

Was cool seeing Zicky Dice again. Caught him at the inaugural Blackcraft show in Pittsburgh last year(what happened to that group, anyways?) and he definitely stood out.

Thought tonight's episode was a great follow up to the PPV and felt like it had a ton going on. the TV title with a 6:05 time limit is different and will provide reason for a lot of the super short matches. Marty's promos were well done and better established him and Aldis as more of a continuation of their Crockett Cup rivalry more than it came off initially. Even with only around 12 minutes of actual wrestling in this hour+ episode, Eli/Anderson was a fun little brawl with a surprisingly decisive finish for Eli to get back to back wins. Enjoyed the closing angle tying some things together, although a bit bizarre for Aldis to do such a complete 180 on Tim, from telling him how much he belongs in their previous interaction to now telling him his time is over. It also further made me wish even more they never did the 'can never challenge again' stip with Tim, cause the ending here was prime setup for babyface revenge from Tim, who still comes off as the great top babyface.

Edited by DreamBroken