DVDVR Message Board

2019 NWA Thread

Cornette just has too much baggage to keep now.  If he didn't have all the baggage, he would have kept his job, but he's just slung too much shit for too long, you know he's not going to change, and folks were not going to watch over him, so he had to go.

The funny thing is Corny is getting support from Trumpies now, it's kinda hilarious.  I kinda expect him to switch sides now and start being a Trump supporter to get on that grift.

Cornette is unquestionably talented as a commentator. He was good at MLW as well.

As a wrestling historian on his podcast he's untouchable. His depth and breadth of knowledge mixed with his quick wit and "gift of gab" combines to make it just amazing to hear him talk about the past. The episode he and Dave did on, ostensibly, Montreal after the Vice doc is jaw dropping as they really dig into the history of business exposes, double crosses, and the resulting effects on business.

He's one of the great managers of all-time. He's out of touch, but he's still proven at times to be capable of at least helping develop talent as a booker.

He's also a stunningly colossal dick who can't help but self-sabotage at every turn. It sucks that he can't accept wrestling that isn't just exactly the way he wants it. It sucks that he can't adapt to modern times. It sucks that he makes himself a target. But, seriously, he does not deserve a benefit of the doubt at this point. How many times can he fall back on "well, I've been saying X since 1985" about every culturally insensitive joke he makes or slur he drops?

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

See, this right here is bullshit. Cornette is no idiot. He knows the racist connotations behind what he said. He's lived in the South for pretty much his entire life, for fuck's sake. He knew what he was saying.

Tbf I can understand this opinion, but I think it is easy to assume people know a lot more than they do. He seems earnest about not knowing...I mean he's smart enough to know it was racist yet dumb enough to think it would play on the commentary? Not convinced.

I don't disagree with the notion that he should have fucking known better, and I would prefer it if he was slightly more contrite than he appears to be - but I understand why he isn't.

• Like 1

Cornette's the same dude that booked the Gangstas in Smoky Mountain to rile up small-town rednecks 

And that was after he nearly touched off a race riot before a Smoky Mountain show in... '93, I think.  Basically, before a show, a black security guard was getting over with the crowd by standing up to the heels, particularly the Heavenly Bodies.  Cornette wanted the guy removed for.... not observing kayfabe, I guess, and called the guy the n-word. Things got really tense after that, and a riot nearly ensued.

Cornette talked about the incident the following year on a shoot interview recorded at SMV Fan Fest.  Of course, he didn't apologize or anything.  Seemed kinda smug, irrc.  His usual attitude.

I think Cornette knows exactly what he's saying and kinda plays it off like he might be in character or just not realizing what he's saying to give himself wriggle room if anyone calls him on his nonsense.

Edited by Whodathunkit

Despite how shitty he is, he'll have some special place, a dark recess, within my heart for that one rant on HBK from a YouShot or some such thing. "Fuck you, fuckin' pill popper!" Uh, ya! If somebody condensed his podcasts to just the historical discussion I would be a regular listener and it would be at the top of my wrestling listening list. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Tbf I can understand this opinion, but I think it is easy to assume people know a lot more than they do. He seems earnest about not knowing...I mean he's smart enough to know it was racist yet dumb enough to think it would play on the commentary? Not convinced.

There is no chance he didn't know about the stereotype. Come on. He said it because he literally cannot stop himself from acting like a misanthropic asshole, no matter how much damage it does to his career.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pretending that NWA Powerrr had better editing here but, Cornette's best on-screen role right now is probably closer to his late 1997 WWF role. More of a "special editorial" role (or whatever the CM Punk role turns out to be on Backstage) than having him on commentary. The fact that Cornette wasn't bringing his A Game as a commentary and had his stint end by reusing a 30+ year old line should say a little bit about him as a commentator.

Of all the ways for a fed to have to fire somebody, this was the worst a promotion could look in the process. If Cornette had said things on his podcasts, had he said something during a live show, those are different than having it occur on a taping weeks ago. Cornette is obviously at fault for what he said, but it makes it look like Lagana edits the NWA show on his laptop.

It just feels like Cornette overexposed himself. Considering he probably gets way more money from his Collectibles business than from being employed by wrestling companies, having this sort of thing drop during the giftgiving season probably isn't ideal for getting some people to buy an extra book or gift in December.

On 11/22/2019 at 5:02 PM, Gorman said:

I'm pumped for it. I'm going to apply for The Circle Squared (just like the TNA Gut Check Challenge) even though I'm an announcer, not a wrestler.

Hopefully, they won't throw my application INTO THE FIIIRRRRE.....

Good luck.  If they give you a shot, probably best not to do the old heel line where you say the white heel is a nice guy cause he's going to cheer up the black babyface by showing him Roots backwards.

Just kidding.  The NWA doesn't have any black wrestlers.

When there was that NWA Twitter thread asking the fans what Wrestlers the NWA should sign, I said A Tribe Called Catch. But I don't think anyone else did.

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Despite how shitty he is, he'll have some special place, a dark recess, within my heart for that one rant on HBK from a YouShot or some such thing. "Fuck you, fuckin' pill popper!" Uh, ya! If somebody condensed his podcasts to just the historical discussion I would be a regular listener and it would be at the top of my wrestling listening list. 

I don't listen to his podcasts but his youtube channel has a lot of 5-10 minute clips of him talking about various historical wrestling 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

There is no chance he didn't know about the stereotype. Come on. He said it because he literally cannot stop himself from acting like a misanthropic asshole, no matter how much damage it does to his career.

Saying 'come on' isn't much of an argument. I'm not saying he didn't know about the stereotype; the stereotype is about black people in America not in Ethiopia - I understand that you're going to consider this a piece of mental gymnastics but it really is a much smaller one than 'OCD Racism'.

And to be repeat, I think the comment was crass and he should have known better. I just don't think he did know better.

16 hours ago, BEN! said:

Good luck.  If they give you a shot, probably best not to do the old heel line where you say the white heel is a nice guy cause he's going to cheer up the black babyface by showing him Roots backwards.

Just kidding.  The NWA doesn't have any black wrestlers.

Ricky Starks is part black.

3 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Saying 'come on' isn't much of an argument. I'm not saying he didn't know about the stereotype; the stereotype is about black people in America not in Ethiopia - I understand that you're going to consider this a piece of mental gymnastics but it really is a much smaller one than 'OCD Racism'.

And to be repeat, I think the comment was crass and he should have known better. I just don't think he did know better.

If the joke really was about Ethiopian famine, then there are a million other things he could have said besides "bucket of chicken." 

Edited by mattdangerously
  • Thanks 1

On the drive thru, he said that people found that the original joke went all the way back to Evel Knievel, but it was “he could ride a motorcycle across Ethiopia with a chicken sandwich strapped to his back.”  

and he changed it to a scooter for comedic effect and as a reference to the Maguire Twins riding scooters. And changed it to a bucket of fried chicken because they were at or near a Popeye’s when he came up with the line. 

none of which excuses still using the line in 2019. But that was its origin (so he said)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

If the joke really was about Ethiopian famine, then there are a million other things he could have said besides "bucket of chicken." 

Yeah I personally think an Injera reference would have been funnier, but he has explained his thought process here.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

On the drive thru, he said that people found that the original joke went all the way back to Evel Knievel, but it was “he could ride a motorcycle across Ethiopia with a chicken sandwich strapped to his back.”  

and he changed it to a scooter for comedic effect and as a reference to the Maguire Twins riding scooters. And changed it to a bucket of fried chicken because they were at or near a Popeye’s when he came up with the line. 

none of which excuses still using the line in 2019. But that was its origin (so he said)

That's not entirely accurate. Cornette said, well, we had probably just eaten at a Popeyes and so that's what came to mind when I used that line for Bubba.

So he's recalling that exact of a memory from 198x to explain the use of bucket of fried chicken and used it again knowing very well the racial connotations it carried both then and now when he could have said he had a pizza strapped to his back or a bag of cheeseburgers or anything else.

• Like 2