DVDVR Message Board

2019 NWA Thread

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

that requires you to do something, and you're perfect because you decided you're perfect and you can't possibly be contributing to something bad. That would require you to be evil, and you can't be evil- you're YOU!. 

I'm not perfect. I just have very good forearms. Although as far as being evil goes, it rather depends on the definition you're using, and the perspective you look at things from.

"Don't Be Evil" was google's corporate slogan, but that was just the shortened version. The full one was "If you think of being good, Don't! Be Evil!"

• Haha 2

On 11/21/2019 at 3:33 AM, SorceressKnight said:

The second you said "waaah waaah the fans are infallible and everything they do is perfect!"

Never said that. Find the post and quote it.

Edited by AxB
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, gatling said:

Interesting question.  I think they have already been to "Castle Cornette" to film him for season 2, not sure if they'd just scrap that--would they have someone that could fill that slot in the show otherwise?

Doesn’t Meltzer have a shit ton of memorabilia? Does Bret still have his?

Yes, I said it, and it was a snarky comment about how you blame everything on the fans. Had nothing to do with Jim Cornette... until you did exactly what I said, turned it around and... blamed it on the fans?

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yes, I said it, and it was a snarky comment about how you blame everything on the fans. Had nothing to do with Jim Cornette... until you did exactly what I said, turned it around and... blamed it on the fans?

Okay, I don't blame the fans for Cornette saying this line, which I'm sure you would say.

I blame you, personally, for every problem in all of wrestling. 

Just now, SorceressKnight said:

Okay, I don't blame the fans for Cornette saying this line, which I'm sure you would say.

I blame you, personally, for every problem in all of wrestling. 

Hey, that's not fair. Casey wasn't even born when Bruiser Brody was killed.

• Haha 3

On 11/20/2019 at 7:46 PM, Casey said:

"It's just a character" is the worst explanation for why Cornette is a piece of shit, right next to "he's a Democrat, he's not actually racist/transphobic/sexist".

Of course, I saw that @SorceressKnight posted this, and fully expected a post about how, somehow, the fans are to blame.

I'll admit I was giving him a pass because of his anti-Trump stuff, and thinking he was old/was playing a character some/had bad influences like Bill Watts.  That said, one can only take so much, and he used up all his goodwill with me.  Reminds me of Brad Wardell (a game developer who kinda went the same way)

There's a saying in the Air Force- you can give a person enough rope to hang themselves, and that's precisely what Cornette did.

That said, if Cornette tried to pass a urine test, he'd probably try to take notes from Hammerstone.  ^_^

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 6:15 PM, Craig H said:

Hell, when Cornette had to apologize a couple weeks ago because of the Jim Smallman thing we said Cornette wouldn't learn from this because he can't change who he is and it was a matter of time before he'd be fired.

Yeah, I'd be amazed if that actually happened - given that Glen Joseph (Progress/NXT-UK) actually smeared him and NWA bought into the 'suicide' thing and issued some stupid statement.

So I'm going to file this apology under 'things that didn't happen'. But Confused Craig, please do feel free to correct me.........and if you can't, then maybe you should worry a bit less about morally admonishing people for tone and worry a little more about basic truth, logic, and accuracy. Because when you butcher those things, then you're far, far worse then any of the people you were acting all superior to with your subtweet sermon.

I still don't *personally* find the Roberts thing offensive, but ultimately yeah if you make enemies out of snides (see above) and whatnot then that can burn you - and I'm not going to hold a pity party for Cornette for that. The fried chicken line did blow my mind and he should have known better, he's been thrown under the bus...but NWA already did that over the Smallman thing so I'm sure Jim's not even that fussed.

So I guess that's NWA, Progress and NXT-UK on my 'will not watch due to snides' list. That's fine.

Edited by ComingToAmerica

Man, I wanted to reach through the screen and slap the shit out of the guy yelling "someone get Question Mark!" twice during the Kennedy injury angle. We heard your stupid unfunny joke the first time. I don't want to hear anything about how these idiots aren't trying to get themselves over.

My only regular complaint about this show is that they won't turn down the crowd's mics when they need to.

• Thanks 1

Aldis is adequate. He's fine as the champion on a show full of adequate people that nobody else wants that badly.

I thought Galli trying to get answers out of Kamille was lame at the start of the series. But after her actions the last several weeks, looks like that ace journalist was onto something. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Fair, but as a promo I think he's among the better guys in wrestling. 

He’s alright, but I feel like the studio setting helps. Like he still stumbles on the mic. Not as bad as Miz usually does, but it’s there. Guy looks, and acts like a million buck, though. Which is very important in a company with a mediocre in ring product.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Fair, but as a promo I think he's among the better guys in wrestling. 

To @LoneWolf&Subs's point (not the bit about Miz), the setting is helping a lot. These are short, to-the-point promos that aren't produced to the death, which is what people keep insisting they're hungry for. That and the novelty of this setting in 2019 have people heaping praise on him that they wouldn't be so generous with in other settings. I hadn't heard a word about Aldis being an upper-tier promo guy until Powerrr's first episode dropped. Being in the same company as Kingston, Storm, Stevens, Drake, etc., Aldis looks merely adequate in comparison. He does what's needed to get his angle across, but he's arguably not among the better guys on his own show. 

To me, he's the same guy he was when he was Magnus in TNA. He's adequate. He's got a good look, carries himself well, and can do everything asked of him. But when they finally experimented with him as champion, it fell completely flat. Especially compared to their last big experiment committing to a mostly-homegrown talent (Roode). 

The more I watch and think about this show, the more I wish they'd gone out and gotten this decade's other adequate, well-spoken Brit who carries himself like a star but never reached his full potential: Stu Bennett. Considering Stu hasn't wrestled a match since leaving WWE, I'm assuming Aldis is commanding a much lower fee. So in my head, Aldis is Discount Wade Barrett. 

I know he's blamed politics and other things for never going there, but considering his size, look, and potential, it's pretty telling that he's never gotten a real shake from WWE. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

12 hours ago, twiztor said:

i'm sad that nobody is talking about NWA Power, Corgan's announcement, or the Aldis vs Murdoch match.  instead we get like 5 pages of Cornette talk.

so..... Into the Fire is 3 weeks away. anybody else excited for this?

I'm pumped for it. I'm going to apply for The Circle Squared (just like the TNA Gut Check Challenge) even though I'm an announcer, not a wrestler.

Hopefully, they won't throw my application INTO THE FIIIRRRRE.....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I will save everyone 21 minutes. It's 21 minutes of him saying he's not defending Jim Cornette...but spending 21 minutes of making a laundry list of excuses for Cornette. 

That's not fair. There's got to be at least five minutes of "Um.. Well, you know... It is what it is..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 6