DVDVR Message Board

2019 NWA Thread

4 hours ago, Goodear said:

Getting caught in these dichotomies where people think they have to chose sides from 2 bad options is a trap.

Both people in an argument can be terrible.

Terrible people can be right sometimes.

Terrible people can be talented and their employers need to weigh those risks versus the rewards.

Beautifully put. I wished more people thought this way.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The people on here over the last 24 hours. Jesus Christ. Check your heads when you say some of this repugnant bullshit. If it wasn't ComingToAmerica REPEATEDLY denying something didn't happen that actually happened, then it was ComingToAmerica saying some of this bullshit isn't that bad (here's a clue, it is). Or if it's not that, it's this false equivalence from MADCAP, making light of why people would be offended. Or if it isn't that, then it's MORELOCK saying that this would be less offensive if it came from someone else. How tone deaf and insensitive are you people?

What is wrong with you? I really don't get it...Be better. You're all capable of it.

Well, and to add to this, Cornette cut ties with Meltzer some weeks back because he for some reason thinks Meltzer voted for Trump, which goes to show you 1) That Cornette's concept of reality or truth is vastly different than our actual reality and he would know that if bothered to listen to Meltzer on WOR or WOL and 2) That Cornette is pretty fucking stupid to lack the self-awareness that he's everything that he hates the president for. This shit ain't a gimmick folks. When this person has behaved the same way for years then it's not a gimmick, it's who they are.

Hell, when Cornette had to apologize a couple weeks ago because of the Jim Smallman thing we said Cornette wouldn't learn from this because he can't change who he is and it was a matter of time before he'd be fired.

Whatever. Fuck 'em. He was the worst part of Powerrr. I'll gladly watch more of it with him gone.

Good post. Yeah, okay...that Meltzer/Trump thing is ridiculous. A) It shouldn't matter but to each their own B) read the Observer after Trump's election and read Dave's very emotional essay. I know that Cornette thinks that Meltzer lost his mind by liking modern wrestling but didn't know there was more to it. 

We need a good definitive list of Cornette scandals and firings. 

I quit the podcast a while back but recently fell back into it because, and I hate myself for it, his AEW rants are  fun, even if I disagree with a large chunk and I have no use for his political ravings. The question and answer pod still has some good stuff. He's an entertaining talker. 

The thing is - okay, the Smallman stuff was a bit overblown and I can see it as hyperbole. The Roberts stuff was distasteful and low-class but wasn't anything to lose your job over, but then THIS went about ten yards past the post of no-return. It's the pattern that condemns. This isn't even to bring up the years of misogyny and hateful language to women on his Twitter, including the woman from the NRA that a lot of people should be ashamed of themselves for excusing. Nor does it bring up that this is a man that has physically threatened people and, say what you will about the man, had Russo convinced his safety was in danger.  

If JC would just stay in the wheelhouse of territorial wrestling / stories / history / deep dives, he's untouchable...and this is coming from a guy who bought every shoot interview VHS and DVD of his from back in the day.

But his tantrum-throwing, political and religious ideologies make him such a hard pass for me.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

If JC would just stay in the wheelhouse of territorial wrestling / stories / history / deep dives, he's untouchable...and this is coming from a guy who bought every shoot interview VHS and DVD of his from back in the day.

But his tantrum-throwing, political and religious ideologies make him such a hard pass for me.

This, honestly. I like him when he's rambling about territorial wrestling, but when he gets into politics and religion, I just zone him out. I hate politics and have to listen or read folks talk about it everywhere else, so it's the last thing I want to hear from my wrestling folks too and our views on religion are entirely different, but that doesn't offend or anything, but he's not someone I'm interested in hearing religious commentary from.

Thankfully whenever I listen to his podcast on YouTube, someone comments the time frame when the wrestling talk starts, so I can skip straight to that.

Edited by Edwin

2 hours ago, Zartan said:

Place is turning in to Reddit. 

Have you seen the monthly photo thread? It's basically r/wrestlewiththeplot. Folks just posting stuff seeking reactions (wish RIPPA or one of the admins would remove that entire feature, btw).

The photo thread is there because people are going to post photos anyway, and it stops them clogging up other threads as much, same as the gif thread. Yeah, some people are just likebaiting in there. But it's the internet in 2019. Likebaiters are everywhere.

• Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, Craig H said:

MORELOCK saying that this would be less offensive if it came from someone else.

Not what I said - it was a 100% stupid, racist, offensive comment and he's an idiot for making it. At no point did I excuse him. I was talking about the people waiting, prepared to be outraged by Jim Cornette specifically because they don't like his wrestling opinions. It seems like some people let their wrestling opinions color their perspective on these matters - people fall all over themselves to say Fuck Hulk Hogan because he's an easy target that hardcore wrestling fans have despised for decades. But I don't see anyone saying Fuck Steve Austin for being a two-time wife beater, and I think him being a beloved figure in the wrestling world has a lot to do with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone who ventures into the photo thread by accident and immediately leaves it or maybe once a year to actually post a comment, I appreciate the photo thread being there for the exact reason AxB's Sexy Forearms stated.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Not what I said - it was a 100% stupid, racist, offensive comment and he's an idiot for making it. At no point did I excuse him. I was talking about the people waiting, prepared to be outraged by Jim Cornette specifically because they don't like his wrestling opinions. It seems like some people let their wrestling opinions color their perspective on these matters - people fall all over themselves to say Fuck Hulk Hogan because he's an easy target that hardcore wrestling fans have despised for decades. But I don't see anyone saying Fuck Steve Austin for being a two-time wife beater, and I think him being a beloved figure in the wrestling world has a lot to do with that.

While there's a kernel of truth to this, Jim's also a professional provocateur (or, if you'd prefer, a Wind-Up Merchant). You spend that much time stirring shit and conditioning people to come after you, then it's not fair to put anything on people who are out to get him. He's been egging those people on for decades. He played stupid games and won a stupid prize. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

27 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Have you seen the monthly photo thread? It's basically r/wrestlewiththeplot.

Is there a shocking amount of Bray Wyatt content in that sub...?

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

The photo thread is there because people are going to post photos anyway, and it stops them clogging up other threads as much, same as the gif thread. Yeah, some people are just likebaiting in there. But it's the internet in 2019. Likebaiters are everywhere.

I'm not likebaiting. I'm maintaining my social credit score. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MORELOCK said:

People waiting around for Cornette to say something offensive is a dumb concept because he's guaranteed to do it so why wait around. You're also turning the blame more on people who are upset by saying they're upset specifically because they don't like his wrestling opinions. Are there some people like that? Sure, there's all kinds of people. People like blood sausage too. There's also a lot of people who are upset because he's a closeted bigot and an insensitive asshole. And some of those people are going to be legitimately hurt by what he said regardless of the fact that it came from Cornette. He's made numerous hurtful and hateful comments every year.

Hulk Hogan is an unrepentant asshole who turned his "apology" for his racist comments into a PSA about watching out for people recording you. If people fall over themselves to say fuck Hulk Hogan then it's because he's done nothing to show he can change.

Steve Austin on the other hand has personally acknowledged he wasn't a good person and treated his wives poorly, he's learned from it, and he's actually turned into a better person for learning from it considering what his current marriage is like. 

Had you ended your reply at "he's an idiot for making it" then fine, but you instead turned it into people being more upset because they don't like his wrestling views and so they're looking for any reason to silence him or people have let their wrestling opinion color their perspective instead of just leaving it at what it really boils down to: People are upset because he was once again able to say something completely offensive and insensitive and those people wanted something to actually be done about it this time.

15 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

EDIT:  Craig answered it much better than I tried to earlier.

But taking this down another path let's say it was someone beloved by many like Molly Holly that said what Cornette said.   I would think that there'd be a bit of shock mixed with denial at first.  But if she did say it then I would personally be in the "Fuck Molly Holly" camp.  I would like to think others would react the same way but that'd be wishful thinking on my part.

I know WNBB and Craig posted about it just now and not sure if this is a good answer for you.  But shitty or otherwise this is my take on it.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

People confuse 'good performer' with 'good person' all the time.  You just need to be aware of your own confirmation biases when making judgments. Cornette is actually a really good example to be honest as so many people were super happy to listen to him savage Russo, Kevin Dunn or Dixie Carter, but got upset when the targets changed.  

8 minutes ago, Goodear said:

People confuse 'good performer' with 'good person' all the time.  You just need to be aware of your own confirmation biases when making judgments. Cornette is actually a really good example to be honest as so many people were super happy to listen to him savage Russo, Kevin Dunn or Dixie Carter, but got upset when the targets changed.  

He's just as insufferable talking about Russo or Dunn. 

10 minutes ago, bazzil said:

Whats this about Cornette thinking Meltzer is a Trump supporter? I listen to his podcasts each week and dont recall hearing him say anything like that.

It wasn't in a podcast. It was a tweet and when Bryan brought it up to Dave a couple days later Dave just sighed and was like, "I don't know, this is just what he does." It was something like that. 

Cornette has shown he'll go after anyone as long as they aren't his mom, the MX, or the Rock and Roll Express. I assume at some point he'll go after his co-host too.

10 minutes ago, Goodear said:

But even then, the problem is the same there.

Jim Cornette in 2019 is the equivalent to the Iron Sheik in the 2000s. The only real reason he has any cachet right now is because he flies off the handle at things he doesn't like in wrestling, people think it's funny, so they all tag him whenever some comedy spot happens in wrestling so he'll fly off the handle about it.  It's not even whether he's a good performer, no more than Iron Sheik's performances mattered when he was saying he'd make random people humble and everyone laughed at that. 

• Like 1

Jim Cornette is so dumb, he stayed up all night studying for a Urine Test.

Any chance this (or any of his other idiocies) screws up his Viceland gig for Dark Side of the Ring?

• Like 1

FWIW - I think a lot of people have issues with Steve Austin and no one excuses his alleged and confirmed wife beatings. Not someone I'd be comfortable shaking hands with. But there's also the difference between publicly being a terrible person and being a terrible person kind of separate from your public persona. A LOT of people are the latter. The one in the former are the ones aggressively, obnoxiously  in your face, though. 

• Like 1

Something is getting lost for me in all this--what is so offensive about saying that Justin Roberts looks like a child molester? Who is that offensive to, other than Justin Roberts? Child molesters?

I mean, it's certainly not a nice thing to say, but I'm not seeing the political angle here.

Edited by MapRef41N93W

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Except that ain't stopping folks from posting meaningless screenshots and/or gifs post event in the event thread.