DVDVR Message Board

2019 NWA Thread

Considering it's the winter and Cornette doesn't like traveling much anyways, it might be for the best for him (and certain others) for Jim to hibernate a little this winter.

The Governor of Virginia pretty much laid low after the whole blackface thing and made it through that, so nobody really gets 100% cancelled as long as they don't go to prison.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

No. 

The first thing was people upset he said Jim Smallman "should kill himself." On the podcast. 

The next thing was him saying Justin Roberts was too smiley and should be kept away from children. That was also on the podcast. 

I think the stuff this week were the first comments made on the actual nwa show.

The funniest thing about that was Corny said that about Robert's right after telling a funny story about his old pal and noted child rapist Grizzly Smith.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Considering it's the winter and Cornette doesn't like traveling much anyways, it might be for the best for him (and certain others) for Jim to hibernate a little this winter.

Hes supposed to do the NWA ppv and tv tapings coming up. But nothing else I think.

Episode 7 is back up, with slightly less racism, I'd hope

anyways, downsides exist to taping like 10 episodes of wrestling TV over a few days.. like, if somebody merits termination after episode 7, but they're still on episodes yet to air.  I'm just guessing they'll able to turn out an episode on December 17th after taping it on December 15th. But they might want to move Powerrr to another day since Christmas/New Years Eve are on Tuesdays this year.

He said the same thing back in the mid 80's during a promo.

Also in a match back in 1995.

I can understand why people would be upset and it's a different time now than it was in 1995 or 1986, but I guess it doesn't offend me like it does other.

Edited by tlk23
  • Like 5

I've always been a fan of Cornette but I can't defend him here, I understand it's a line he has used back in the day but he of all people knows he's got people online fuck up. Plus its not like he hasn't said racist shit in the past that I'm sure fans remind him  of. Being black I sorta feel bad for not having outrage. Sorry bruh,  I can't give you the benefit of the doubt. 

What the actual fuck. The worst is just how casual this ‘lazy racism’ comes out, he’s not actively trying to attack anyone, he just can’t help but spew this hateful bigoted shit. And then no one even thinks to edit it through the whole production process.

It’s just like the Jordan Myles stuff, the lack of any awareness of what’s acceptable, the lack of an alternative voice or some representation at any level to say ‘WTF is that demeaning and hateful commentary’, not that you should fucking need in 2019 to pull aside a black man and ask him, ‘is that offensive?’ to know not to say it. Is this a dog whistle to their desired demo? Cribbing from 1982 in your aesthetic doesn’t mean you go back to Roy Chubby Brown and Bernard Manning in your humour (yanks can google them).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, alstein said:

At this point Cornette has to go , and immediately.  This was the last straw for a lot of folks, myself included.

If the NWA doesn't do something immediately, they're sunk.  This is going to scare off any potential TV deal as well.

Let's be honest. The TV deal was never going to happen.

• Like 1

Lots of the liberals are racists so it checks out.

5 hours ago, Custos said:

What the actual fuck. The worst is just how casual this ‘lazy racism’ comes out, he’s not actively trying to attack anyone, he just can’t help but spew this hateful bigoted shit. And then no one even thinks to edit it through the whole production process.

It’s just like the Jordan Myles stuff, the lack of any awareness of what’s acceptable, the lack of an alternative voice or some representation at any level to say ‘WTF is that demeaning and hateful commentary’, not that you should fucking need in 2019 to pull aside a black man and ask him, ‘is that offensive?’ to know not to say it. Is this a dog whistle to their desired demo? Cribbing from 1982 in your aesthetic doesn’t mean you go back to Roy Chubby Brown and Bernard Manning in your humour (yanks can google them).

They clearly think that this is acceptable. I mean, you don't even have to bring up Lagana here. Look at Corgan himself and what he talks about when he isn't doing publicity for NWA or his band.

• Like 1

Just for the record, hers what Jim said about Roberts. "Justin Roberts looks like he should be registered somewhere to be around children" is the word for word quote. If that's not a "he looks like a pedophile" joke, I literally don't know what it is. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, hammerva said:

Cornette is really the anti Mauro.

It's probably not the best time to call Cornette the greatest announcer of all time.

Why do I have a feeling that everyone would be less offended if the dumb thing was said by someone they didn't have a pre-existing hatred for?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Custos said:

Well said, fellow Brit.