DVDVR Message Board

2019 NWA Thread

6 hours ago, Infinit said:

Has Cornette commented on those "commercials" yet? Would be interesting to hear how he tip toes around them being so "outlaw mudshow-esque" lol

The only shows Cornette seems to watch the whole way through are on cable (aside from whatever 'magic' he used to see Takeover shows that were on the network, although considering he was a tape trader back in the day, would it shock you if he found a way) so I could see him deciding "why would I need to watch the shows, I was there in person". So he might not be aware of every ad.

To be honest, I didn't understand why they had a 3 minute countdown on the first episode.. but they've made the countdown better in the other episodes.

On 10/24/2019 at 12:37 AM, Cobra Commander said:

...aside from whatever 'magic' he used to see Takeover shows that were on the network...

Playing catch up, just watched episode 2. Aaron Stevens is going to flourish. Trevor Murdoch fits like a glove in this atmosphere. The handshake at the end was perfect. Is the Tony Falk thing real? I really dig the in studio interviews, some of the best promos going right now. The roster is really cool there's some news and there's some relative unknowns but everyone feels like a star. The crowd will get behind somebody if they impressive them. It's fun. I can't wait to see The Dawsons and Kingston & Homicide fuck each other up in tag matches, hopefully they are feuding over the tag straps too.

Eli Drake should headline Into the Fire against Nick Aldis for the strap. The way this Kamilla angle is going I can totally see her costing Aldis the match and aligning with Drake. I'm sure Aldis is going to be full heel by then. With that "I thought this was the NWA not TMZ" storm off he's gonna lose his cool soon. Some poor jobber is going to get the brunt of it. 

Episode 3

Uh, no Jim that was not a Pearl River Plunge. That was a Pedigree. You know better, and I suspect you only called it that because she's black, which is kinda shitty on your part. 

I thought that Sandow was showing up still wearing the costume from his matinee performance of Treasure Island and then he goes one better and presents a clip of his "acting" in a pirate movie (VHS copies in Romania only!). God I love the man more every time I see him. "I AM NOT CAPTAIN MORGAN!"

Somebody's probably already made the connection here before me but Josephus really looks like Nick Offerman in those Slingers commercials nowadays. 

37 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Episode 3

Uh, no Jim that was not a Pearl River Plunge. That was a Pedigree. You know better, and I suspect you only called it that because she's black, which is kinda shitty on your part. 

I thought that Sandow was showing up still wearing the costume from his matinee performance of Treasure Island and then he goes one better and presents a clip of his "acting" in a pirate movie (VHS copies in Romania only!). God I love the man more every time I see him. "I AM NOT CAPTAIN MORGAN!"

Somebody's probably already made the connection here before me but Josephus really looks like Nick Offerman in those Slingers commercials nowadays. 

If he was referencing Ahmed Johnson like you figure then he would have called it the Great Googily Moogily Drop

• Like 1

Nick Aldis is such a great talker and shows more personality than I could ever expect, makes me wonder how many modern Wrestlers would benefit from being in this environment. Everyone on this show are exceptional at the least on promos. 

I legit feel like I got to get home to watch NWA Powerrr on Tuesdays. I haven't felt like that in years about a Wrestling show.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Episode 3

I figured Corny only called it a Pearl River Plunge because he didn't want to sort of acknowledge Hunter.

What could we come up with for Marti Bell's finisher? 

Hell's Bells?

For Whom the Bell Tolls?

The Bell Tower?

Bell's Palsy crossed my mind, but that's just fucked up.

• Like 2

Episode 4 was great. Loved the main event even if I was (am, still) confused about the face / heel dynamic.

Aldis is a heel, who teamed with Cabana, who is a face but has kind of been a dick so he MIGHT be a heel? With Ken Anderson who was in aces & eights with Storm.

Bram and Royce da 5’7” are definitely heels and they are teaming with James Storm who, despite all his rage, still just might be a face? 

my enemy’s enemy is my friends enemy but also my friend as well?

• Like 1