DVDVR Message Board

2019 NWA Thread

The good: TONY FALK'S WAFFLES AND TIRE IRONS

The bad: snarky crowd comments in the middle of promos. Just cheer and boo and keep the dumb shit(did someone really throw out a "That's what she said"?!?) to yourself.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Peck said:

The good: TONY FALK'S WAFFLES AND TIRE IRONS

The bad: snarky crowd comments in the middle of promos. Just cheer and boo and keep the dumb shit(did someone really throw out a "That's what she said"?!?) to yourself.

Hey, you guys wanted a more 80’s studio crowd, and that’s what you got back then. It’s the wrestlers job to meet the challenge of the snark. Like how Dusty called a woman unfuckable that one time to shut her up.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Another thing I really like over the first two shows is how wrestlers are putting over their opponents after their match(i.e. Aldis with Storm, Starks and Murdoch, Kay with Vox). Little things like that not only make the loser still look strong but makes the winner look better in victory as well.

• Like 2

if they wanted somebody to get the answers about Nick Aldis and Camille, they should have brought in a skilled interrogator like...

hGjrqSu.png

excited to find out if any of the people on NWA Powerrrrr can approach a Boogie Woogie Man 1986 squash/interview.

Edited by Cobra Commander

This show is so gooood.   The opening promo from Stevens was hilarious.  I think it's unfair to call him a castoff he was always over. Ricky Starks cut one hell of a promo and the kid has a great look.  If Ricochet could talk like that he'd be world champion. But then again maybe he can and we'll just never see it because buzzwords must be buzzing. 

Great show so far. I'm diggin Nick Aldis and Kamille as the headline act.   The announcers are all good too.   They have a lot of personality themselves.    Kingston had me laughing.  Good stuff. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If Ricochet could talk like that he'd be world champion. But then again maybe he can and we'll just never see it because buzzwords must be buzzing. 

He really can't tho. He'd probably be the first to tell you that too.

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Vox kind of looks exactly like Zendaya.

It really is remarkable.

I loved the promos. So many good ones over the course of the show. And I loved, loved, loved how announcer boy said he was gonna get the skinny on Aldis' valet and by the end of it, wound up looking like a bigger dumbass than when he went in.

The wrestling isn't exactly super top-notch, but it's a hoot. I grew up on 6:05 on the Superstation, and it's fun to see not only the throwback look, but the talk-wrestle-talk-wrestle-talk pacing. This is some fun stuff.

• Like 1

S O

A E S T H E T I C

I like it. It feels like an NWA show from before I was born, transported to 2019. Watching wrestling with a studio audience like that is super jarring at first, maybe because I've never experienced it, but I kinda love it. My only gripe is that old fuckin' dinosaur Jim Cornette on commentary. Put Cornette back on the show I hardly watch and have more complaints about than compliments (MLW), AEW should let NWA have Tony Schiavone, and this would be awesome.

I felt like second episode was noticeably weaker. Presentation is still great, but I don't really see a hook at the moment. They have built Tim Storm/Nick Aldis rivalry rather well and I wanted to see how it ends. I got that in first episode. Cool, no complaints there.

But whats next? It looks like they are building towards James Storm/Nick Aldis match? James is obviously much better in the ring than Tim, but if I wanted good matches I would be watching something else. I don't see much story there and it looks like James Storm/Eli Drake for Nation title is the end game there anyway.

I look at the talent that they showcased so far and there is nobody* that I'd want as the next rival for Aldis. This goes back to my earlier post about wanting Briscoes in this. They got a story with NWA and Aldis that wasn't resolved in RoH, they are good promo and great in the ring (even if it sounds somewhat contradictory to what I said about James Storm) so I feel like Briscoes could really take this show to another level.

*I'm sure that someone is going to bring up Kingston, but I don't see him as main event guy and it looks like he'll be dealing with tag teams anyway.

@Archibald I agree about the lack of a rivalry for Aldis after the great storytelling with Tim Storm last week. I’d personally wish they’d move forward with him, and Eli Drake. Drake has been the only other guy I could see taking the belt from Aldis, due to his million dollar charisma, and voice. 

On another note I forgot how likable, and charismatic Colt Cabana was. I know some people have some reservations about him, but I always felt of all the Indy guys to hold NWA gold recently, he felt like one of the most natural. So I’m happy we’ll be seeing him more. Less so about Mr. Anderson. Who looks(sad to say) really old. Like the HD cameras picked up on his wrinkles for crying out loud. I think he’s wearing false teeth too.

And finally, the MVP on these shows isn’t Cornette, or the unscripted promos. It’s the sound of the ring as the guys take bumps on it. I mean we all know the sound of the ring, but it’s never better than when you hear it in a studio setting. The bang as a guy falls on it followed by the fans reacting by cat calling it, is music to my ears.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Trevor Murdoch, baked potato with arm and legs he may be, was the best thing about the show tonight.

Decent enough follow up but 2 'WWE castoffs' debuting (I'm not including Murdoch) was maybe not the best look.

WWE castoffs? Nay, lad. Those were TNA castoffs. A label you could arguably (or definitely) also put on Aldis, Anderson, J Storm, Kay, Drake, Kingston, Homicide, Latimer, Konley... where's Crazzy Steve and Robbie E? Bring in Rob Terry while you're there, he can't talk or work very well but he looks great standing still.

32 minutes ago, AxB said:

WWE castoffs? Nay, lad. Those were TNA castoffs. A label you could arguably (or definitely) also put on Aldis, Anderson, J Storm, Kay, Drake, Kingston, Homicide, Latimer, Konley... where's Crazzy Steve and Robbie E? Bring in Rob Terry while you're there, he can't talk or work very well but he looks great standing still.

Robbie E. is in nxt as Robert Strauss. I take issue with Homicide and Kingston being labeled TNA castoffs. They were indy legends before they ever got to TNA. They didn't make their name in TNA/Impact, whereas the rest definitely did, save for Kennedy/Anderson. 

33 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Robbie E. is in nxt as Robert Strauss. I take issue with Homicide and Kingston being labeled TNA castoffs. They were indy legends before they ever got to TNA. They didn't make their name in TNA/Impact, whereas the rest definitely did, save for Kennedy/Anderson. 

If Homicide and Kingston came into the NWA based on their TNA run, they would have been portrayed more as their LAX gimmicks.  From what I have seen that isn't the case. 

• Like 1

Homicide is a TNA legend thanks to his run as half of the original LAX. Kingston was basically a manager for most of his Impact run. The in ring bit of his career, when he was in the 'guys with skull masks and clocks' stable with Storm and Bram coincided with Impact losing their UK TV deal, and by the time they were back on telly that stable was history, Storm was a babyface again and King was a Latino Gang boss.

Another quick hour of wrestling, give me this, MLW and AEW over Raw and SD.

Joe Galli reminds me of the Pastor from Young Sheldon, I cant unsee it now.

LOVED seeing Trevor Murdoch on my TV in an NWA studio wrestling show. What a wacky world we live in 2019.

Ricky Starks promo reminded me of The Rock in his early days, was some great stuff.  Super charismatic and stood out in a show full of great promos.

Nice seeing Sandow, Anderson and Cabana again.

Corgan really did round up the troops from the guys/girls he worked with in Impact which makes me wonder what it would have been had he managed to buy them.

At this point Raw has been ditched from my DVR and replaced with AEW Dark and NWA in my watching schedule.

• Like 2