DVDVR Message Board

2019 NWA Thread

presentation-wise, a podium setting would work a lot better than the backstage interviews that are a habit of some shows.. (but backstage does have the upside of being able to pretape things, so.. if you lean too much towards live/on stage, then people will think of the backstage interviews as pre-taped, which isn't a great impression either)

3 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

The podium promos were all great.  Aldis actually looked like a world champ there.

I was hoping AEW would have a podium (off to the side of an amazing WCW inspired set). It just looks cooler than standing in the ring or in front of some chainlink fence and a barrel. 

• Haha 1

it's sort of a weird contradiction that the feds who script interviews don't have a podium or something that can be an off-camera cue if some talent needs it.

Also gonna say the Austin Idol Wrestling school commercial has the look and feel of "advertisement for something that will mysteriously leave town with your money"... no offense to the people involved in that school.. but wrestling schools can be sorta scammy at times.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 3:47 PM, Oyaji said:

I could do without the "no script, brother" part but who is better on the mic than Eddie in 2019?

I don't recall much better for the whole 2010s. His Chikara promo leading into High Noon years ago was classic.

1 hour ago, Ace said:

I don't recall much better for the whole 2010s. His Chikara promo leading into High Noon years ago was classic.

This is probably my favorite Kingston promo. For those that don't know, this is directed toward Lince Dorado.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Like everybody else I really enjoyed Power and was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. The extent of my studio wrestling viewing has been on WWE DVDs and Youtube; I didn't grow up in this era (well, I did, but never caught any of it), though I've always appreciated it. This happening every week again? I'm gonna watch it every week. 

Everything was fun. Some short squashes, the Storm/Josephus running gag (pardon the pun), Eddie Kingston showing up out of nowhere, that goddamn Austin Idol commercial, JACK! Aldis cut a straight fire promo at the beginning and the last match was solid meat and potatoes stuff, not great by any means (and there was no need for the low blow) but acceptable. Hot crowd, Cornette on commentary in a promotion where he won't have to blow a gasket, classic feel, I think this'll work out well for everybody. 

EDIT: Two more things I forgot. 1. Dokken as theme song is fucking perfect 2. Tim Storm ACTUALLY BEING A HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER made me fall out

EDIT II: James Storm saying there were 265 days in the year also made me fall out

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I did not enjoy it nearly as much as I wanted to. Damn. Wrestling must always (appear) to go forward, to remain au courant. You can appeal to nostalgia, even benefit from it, but should never indulge in it. If you present it as "classic", "traditional" , "retro" or "throwback", you lose some of the sports presentation that is necessary to actualize the believabilty of pro wrestling. Creating a niche product to market it to a niche crowd of consumers is a losing proposition and makes you seem small time. No matter how good a cosplayer you are, you will not be seen a true creator - just a consumer, fan, amateur.

Things I Liked:

- small ring

- studio audience and setting

- real interviews

Thing I Did Not Like:

- no good heels

- the audience was too happy. Where were the (por ejemplo) jeering Girl Scout troops of the old TBS studios, that the heels had to work to get a real reaction from?

- the workers were too much the same, with no flair. They all wanted to appear tough but no one was larger than life.

- Aldiss is generic as heck, and his valet appeared to be catatonic

- Tim Storm: yuck. So sincere as to be maudlin and business exposing as well. He shows every year of his age in the ring. He refers to himself as a "performer" - by thee great ghost of Blassie, that is some infuriating shiazit.

That said, I will watch again to how (if?) this evolves.

my free opinion,

RAF

• Like 2

I don’t know who runs the marketing department, but they aren’t doing a good job promoting Wednesday’s new episode. The only thing that their Twitter account has told me is that Ashley Vox debuts this week, and nothing else about the episode. All I can find is spoilers, and honestly I don’t want to read results.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The low blow might've been okay if it, you know, looked good, and was sold properly. 

Fighting logic. The more you use a move, the better you are at it, and the more effective it is. Tim Storm is such a resolute babyface, he doesn't even know how to blast another man in the balls properly.

• Like 6

It was after Nick Aldis vs. Tim Storm for Ten Pounds of Gold that Joe Galli interviewed The National Treasure and his insurance policy Kamille about the ending of this NWA Worlds Championship Match. During this interview, Joe Galli attempted to speak to Kamille. In that moment, Nick Aldis took exception and called Joe's line of questioning... CLICKBAIT. During Episode 2 of NWA Powerrr, Joe Galli, Nick Aldis and Kamille sat down to talk about the incident. This is a must-see interview. Also on this episode of NWA Powerrr, the return to pro wrestling of Aron Stevens (FKA Damien Sandow). Plus Eddie Kingston & Homicide vs. NWA World Tag Team Champions The Wild Cards (Royce Isaacs & Thom Latimer) in the main event. Plus Rick Starks, Trevor Murdoch, Colt Cabana,, NWA Women's World Champion Allysin Kay as she faces Ashley Vox.

3deolt.jpg

Edited by ComingToAmerica
  • Like 1

A lot of these guys are “castoffs” honestly. Anyway, the matches were nothing to write home about, but I thought almost everybody delivered on the mic. Like I don’t know who Tony Starks is, or he’s about, I still loved the confidence he displayed in his promo. He reminded me of all those promo tests from NXT that leaked on the internet a couple of years ago, and showed how much everybody was being wasted by reciting a poorly written script.

TONY FALK! that was awesome.

Fun show overall. Really good opening recap of last week's events. Into the Fire gets me hyped, love that as the intro. Always dig Allysin Kay and Ricky Starks is star quality. Solid squashes/showcases. Nothing as great as last week's main event but the promos were definitely good all throughout and the show flies by.

• Like 1