DVDVR Message Board

2019 NWA Thread

8 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Are The Dawson’s any good? They look like a tag team that would show up for a set of tapings in Atlanta, then disappear after Dusty passed on them.

Or end up in Kansas City.  #ModSquad

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/3/2019 at 10:22 AM, Ace said:

I think it's a mistake. This isn't something new to revitalize the NWA. This is cosplaying 1986. It seems less Billy Corgan and Dave Lagana and more Dave Marquez.

I agree with this. The wrestling was fine, no issue with that, but the presentation just screamed cosplaying 1986 to me. I don't like it.

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Are The Dawson’s any good? They look like a tag team that would show up for a set of tapings in Atlanta, then disappear after Dusty passed on them.

Seen them once before- they're solid.   I wanted AEW to pick them up as a midcard team.

It is very 1970’s in presentation. I don’t think that’s a bad thing. It didn’t feel dated or out of place it feels really 2019. 

it’s refreshing to see a pro wrestling show. It’s no frills. There’s names familiar enough with the audience they are trying to appeal to. It’s cool to see Sal Ranero and Caleb Connelly.

Is there gonna be a 71st Anniversary Show? They ran last years in late October. They could run it later in the year For example in conjunction with Wrestlecade Thanksgiving weekend. Use the show to build towards it.

I don’t know if I like that Josephus seemingly went from mystic Weirdo with sadistic tendencies to hot tempered hillbilly.

James Storm came off as a star and I did enjoy the pull apart brawl. They brawled all over the crowd it’s just two tough guys looking for a fight and getting into one. That’s missing from modern wrestling. The finish was eh idk if I like Josephus being a doofus.

Austin Idols Wrestling School commercial is the greatest thing I’ve ever seen.

Is Mike Posey not signed to AEW? Or are they allowing him to pull double duty? Brain Hebner reffed the main event. AEW most of gave the ok.

Eddie Kingston is a badass the dude should be bigger than he is hopefully the NWA is the platform you needed all along dude should get a long run with the strap he’d make a perfect NWA Champion. 

The build throughout the show for the main event was what I really enjoyed. It was simple but effective. Aldis’s promo at the start of the show partnered with Storms promo before the match really showed the importance of the Champuonship. Tim Storm may become the break off star of Powerrr (with 3 r’s). He killed it on the mic. There’s no way to boo that guy.

Also what a great use of the footage they had available for the hype videos. I’m to see them put the Ten Pounds of Gold to good use for those who may have not been familiar with Aldis or more importantly Tim Storm.

I liked to matched. The crowd was super into it and that’s always fun. It was a good back and fourth. Nothing special but still entertaining. Tim Storm put on a valiant effort. He looked like a million bucks tonight. Aldis is getting a long run he’s already pushing towards a year but he’s going longer. It looks like Eli Drake is next in line for a run but an Aldis-Kingston program based on the promo potential alone seems to be the angle that would be the bigger draw.

Aldis cutting a baby face promo showing respect for Tim Storm then next second turning heel not letting Camille speak was a pretty good angle.

All in all fun fucking show. I like the formula of squash matches and in studio interviews with a longer main that goes 15-20 that’s built up progressively throughout the program. 

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 2

Absolutely loved the presentation. Best intro video on a wrestling show today. I only wish they used some entrance music. Aldis/Storm was excellent, Tim still rules. I knew there was no way Tim was winning but still bought a couple near falls and I was on the edge of my seat hoping for the upset anyways. The low blow coming after the really awesome pre match promo was cool. Aldis seemed to go from face to heel to face and heel back again throughout the show. The hype for the main was also very good. I didn't like the "can never challenge again" stip but I guess as long as Tim remains a featured guy.  Seems like a real solid roster so far and this was a pretty great first episode. 

I thought I had become one of those Japan bores because US wrestling failed to get me excited anymore. AEW is interesting in terms of power balance but I can't say I am super into it.

I watched Powerr just now and thought it was great. Really fun. Promos. Spontaneity. Personalities.

I would have saved the main for down the road. They were really doing a great job of hyping it that they could have stretched the build out some more.

Will be watching more. Instantly my US #1 promotion based on regular TV.

I liked the show quite a bit.  They went as far with the retro as they could without it being out of place.  And with all that's been going on in 2019 this type of show will stand out in a good way.  Never saw Tim Storm but he was built up quite well and had me kind of rooting for him.  I know the low blow was a sign of his desperation given the stips but it was still weird seeing everybody be okay with it.  Anywhere else and it'd be leading to a heel turn.  But all in all I really liked it.  I would have saved this for Saturday morning but considering the love shown here watched it live.  Now I just need to get a CRT TV when I move out and have it play on there to make it complete.

But I do have to say that any show that has Bram/Tom Latimer in it immediately takes a few points off of the show for me.  I fast forwarded through it last night but will be torn when they go against a team like Kingston and Homicide.  I just wish the guy would fuck off and stay far away from wrestling.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

In many ways, I do feel like we need a replacement for the old NXT hour and this *might* be it. But I'm going to slightly black hat the show now:

1) I'm happy for NWA to be manlier than my wildest expectations, but Jim shouldn't talk about cosplayers or anything like that. He has a podcast for that, I like his podcast, no need for it here. Especially as....let's face it, they are cosplaying a 1980s studio show to a large extent. Plus James Storm essentially buried Jocephus on the mic with the same schtick (we'll see if they go anywhere with any of that...would be a shame not to see his spiritual advisor again)

2) Whilst Nick Aldis has exceeded expectations, brings a certain gravitas to the championship (though that waistcoat is not as classy as he thinks it is) etc etc......he's not that good at pro-wrestling. And when you're doling out a meat and potatoes style, that becomes very important. I'm not sure naming his cloverleaf after Kings Lynn really does the place credit, though it might do it justice (tbf I have never been). He does give a very clear impression of being very content to be no more than an 'adequate' in-ring pro-wrestler, but to me he's still essentially cosplaying a NWA champion. 

3) Yeah they're limited by who they can get, but wasn't much sold on the Dawsons. WWE actually has a good number of hoss tag-teams right now, so they're not adding much value here imho.

4) I'm not sure big matches are really suited to the studio style; it didn't really put over the NWA Title getting defended like this. As others have suggested, might have been better building to it. I don't know if the plan is to continuously deliver the big matches in this set-up. I'm reticent to suggest they need another title, but tbh I'd be inclined to archive Storm's secondary title in favour of a 10 minute time limit TV Title. It just feels like an open goal.

• Like 1

The Dawsons are probably a bit too old to get national buzz, but I'm glad they got some time here.  I wish they were building the tags around the Dawsons instead of those two.

I've been to King's Lynn, my mom was born there,  it's like the British version of High Point, NC if that helps any.

Edited by alstein

I'm from Britain, so not really!

I've been to Hunstanton, twice - a friend of a friend's family had a big house out they rented out, and we got to use it for free twice. We had a good time, but that was 15 years ago and I doubt the years have been kind.

A general google suggests it's probably a bit of a shithole. The contents of the shopping mall is a solid tell also. I'm sure there are good people there, it's okay to take a certain pride in where you're from but if your tribute to it is a shitty cloverleaf then I'm going to wonder if you're being ironic.

Re: Thomas Latimer......ultimately people are entitled to their opinions....I'm going to simply say it's been 4 years now, the charges were dropped, in my mind it's long passed being an issue. He was clearly at one point an immature individual...I doubt he's my kind of people (and vice versa), but....I don't think being charged with domestic abuse should make you a lifetime pariah. 

12 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Eddie Kingston is a badass the dude should be bigger than he is hopefully the NWA is the platform you needed all along dude should get a long run with the strap he’d make a perfect NWA Champion. 

I hadn't thought about this, but I'd love to see it. I think King deserves a bigger platform than this, but I'd be down for him having a lengthy run as a touring NWA champ defending in various indys and maybe even overseas.

Edited by Edwin

44 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I hadn't thought about this, but I'd love to see it. I think King deserves a bigger platform than this, but I'd be down for him having a lengthy run as a touring NWA champ defending in various indys and maybe even overseas.

ugh

It would be nice, wouldn't it? Eddie Kingston has always been in a position where his talents deserve a bigger platform. That's because Eddie Kingston keeps putting himself in those lesser positions.

I'm not actually super-familiar with Eli Drake but I liked that his shtick was "I am a babyface" and the crowd were like "yeah! a babyface! let's cheer him!"

this was a good hour of wrestling telly. tv has generally been a boner-killer for me when it comes to watching wrestling of late (the last 15 years) but this and MLW get it right.and probably make little money.

• Like 1

I have watched most of the material from NWA and I really like the character of Aldis. You can see that he is an asshole who pretends that he is good guy. He talks all nice and good, but at some point something flips and he shows his true self and this happened at the post match promo here as well. Its all good to put the spotlight on Storm when you know that you'll get something back from it as well, but if the host wants to give some spotlight to Camille? Fuck that, talk about me and about this great man that I just defeated. That being said, when the bell rings he still underwhelms.

I didn't really like how low blow was brushed asides as Storm simply being desperate. I get that it shouldn't be a heel turn, but it probably still should have gotten more attention. Hopefully Storm keeps appearing and some heel that he'll feud with will bring it up.

I didn't really get Josephus here. During the intro he was still shown in the robe so I expected to see more of his "kingdom of Josephus" stuff than what I got here. I know that he is not good in the ring and probably not a draw, but he still was major (and entertaining!) character during the early days of this NWA so it feels like he should get more than he did here.

I wanted more of Kingston/Homicide and Wild Cards because to me it looked like their segment was cut abruptly. Sure, Josephus and Storm crashed in, but I wouldn't expect them to just silently go away because some other dudes are fighting in the crowd.

Other than that I liked it a lot. Probably best 1 hour of wrestling that I saw in a while.

But you know what I really, really want? Briscoes. If I'm not mistaken NWA split with RoH on good terms so I hope they can make some deal and have Briscoes appear on these shows and continue their war against NWA.

• Like 1