DVDVR Message Board

2019 NWA Thread

Announced for the Wild Card Battle Royal so far

Jocephus and a partner

The Boys

The Dawson Brothers

More clearly will be coming but the NWA hasn't tweeted anything in the last 45 minutes since announcing the Dawson Brothers

I assume that the Crockett Cup talk goes here. 

Imagine in 2019 the idea of PCO and Yuji Nagata in the ring at the same time. Seriously there has to be about 55 years experience in that ring.  Just amazing and no surprise it is awesome 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

Well if you have a smidge of doubt about Marty  AEW future, him not winning the NWA title tonight should be enough.  Most people thought when he didn't win the ROH title that was a clue but this to me confirms it

They wouldn’t do a storyline on BTE about Marty getting a phone call from Dead Friend 1 if he wasn’t AEW bound.

• Like 2

Agreed, loved the ring and colors. Great to see Nikita Koloff involved. Thought Aldis/Scrull ended up a really good big time title match main event with an old school feel to it. Went in not thinking there was any chance of a title change, ended up believing a couple near falls. Don't usually think much of Aldis but felt this was one of his best overall showings. Pretty good stuff from both.

• Like 1

I watched the PPV at a friend's house on Saturday and it was fucking great.

Here are your spoilerized results

Spoiler
  • Royce Isaacs & Thomas “Bram” Latimer win the Wild Card Battle Royal and qualify for a spot in the Crockett Cup.
  • Flip Gordon & Bandido (ROH) over Stuka Jr. & Guerrera Maya Jr (CMLL) (Crockett Cup Block B First Round Match)
  • Royce Isaacs & Thomas “Bram” Latimer (Wild Card) over Crimson & Jax Dane (NWA) with Isaacs’ feet on the ropes. (Crockett Cup Block B First Round Match)
  • Briscoes (ROH) over Rock and Roll Express (NWA) (Crockett Cup Block A First Round Match)
  • PCO & Brody King (ROH) over Kojima & Nagata (New Japan) (Crockett Cup Block A First Round Match)
  • Allysin Kay over Santana Garrett to win the vacant NWA World Women’s Championship
  • Royce Isaacs & Thomas “Bram” Latimer (Wild Card) over Flip Gordon & Bandido (ROH) (Crockett Cup Block B Semifinals)
  • PCO & Brody King (ROH) over Briscoes (ROH) by disqualification (Crockett Cup Block A Semifinals)
  • Colt Cabana over Willie Mack (c) to win the NWA National Championship. Post-match, James Storm challenges Cabana to a future match.
  • PCO & Brody King (ROH) over Royce Isaacs & Thomas “Bram” Latimer (Wild Card) to win the vacant NWA World Tag Team Championship. (Crockett Cup 2019 Finals)
  • Nick Aldis (c) over Marty Scurll to retain the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship

I totally fucking marked when I saw that the Crockett Cup tournament was also for the vacant tag belts!

Then I was sad because I kinda wish Nagata / Kojima had gone further in the tournament, but no way was PCO going to get bounced in the first round.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, D.Z said:

There's still the NWA junior title they can reactivate. 

nwa_world_junior_heavyweight_championshi

Based on the NWA's relationship with ROH, I'd say the Jr. title would go on either Flip Gordon or Jonathan Gresham. Despite Bandido being in the BOSJ, I think ROH is going to push him toward an eventually heavyweight title shot.

That's a really nice looking belt.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

Given how well the Crockett Cup PPV turned out, I'd be in favor of a PPV Single Elimination Tournament for the belt.

Both NWA and ROH could get a lot of mileage out of the play in matches.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Danny Hodge is still around too, I've met him a couple times at the Reno World tournament, it's an annual amauater wrestling youth tournament that Hodge use to go to I haven't been in ten years but The opening ceremonies of the tournament use to culminate with Hodge crushing an apple with his hand.

Crockett Cup was/is fun (I'm in the middle of it and will edit this post with the rest of my thoughts) so far. One thing, on WOR Bryan said the little bit he saw had great commentary. He must not have watched a lot. They didn't need a three man booth and it was clear Ian and Cornette hadn't spent a lot of time getting to know each other. Pretty much non-existent chemistry. In a vacuum, they were both good. I like Ian a lot.

Loved the ring apron/canvas. The battle royale was what it was. Not my favorite gimmick but it wasn't anything offensive. Titus' elimination got a chuckle from me. Both B-Block first round matches were okay but nothing special.If ROH plays their cards right, Bandido and Flip will both be big stars for them. Flip needs some more polish. He's got the MOVEZ portion of his game down. Now he just needs some psychology. He's improving though. I look forward to his big matches. Briscoes/Rock and Roll was pretty fun. The Briscoes are a perfect tag team, in my opinion. It's too bad they couldn't get out of their own way and stay off twitter because I want them to fight The Revival and The Usos. The Villian Enterprises vs. Nagata & Kiojima was a ton of fun. PCO is a nut and I fear for his every time he steps in a ring.

Madusa should not be given a mic. Wow. Will chime in with my thoughts on the rest after I finish it up. 

Edited by RazorbladeKiss87

22 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Based on the NWA's relationship with ROH, I'd say the Jr. title would go on either Flip Gordon or Jonathan Gresham. Despite Bandido being in the BOSJ, I think ROH is going to push him toward an eventually heavyweight title shot.

That's a really nice looking belt.

Ricky Morton is a former NWA Junior Heavyweight Champion in the modern indie era, I could see him vs Gresham as a fun little first round bout.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Danny Hodge is still around too, I've met him a couple times at the Reno World tournament, it's an annual amauater wrestling youth tournament that Hodge use to go to I haven't been in ten years but The opening ceremonies of the tournament use to culminate with Hodge crushing an apple with his hand.

Hector Guerrero would work as well.

Per Meltzer - the whole reason Colt got the National Championship is because NWA (and ROH) got a cease and desist letters from Lucha Underground regarding using Willie Mack and they decided to not take any chances