DVDVR Message Board

IN MEMORIUM 2019

odessasteps

• 2 weeks later...

Taiwanese-Canadian actor and model Godfrey Gao has died after suffering an apparent heart attack while filming a reality TV show.

Gao collapsed on the set of Chase Me, a reality show featuring intense physical competition for China’s Zhejiang Television filmed in the city of Ningbo, WWD reports.

“In the early hours of Nov. 27, our beloved Godfrey collapsed while filming on set. Unfortunately following three hours of medical rescue efforts, he left us. We are very shocked and saddened and even until now find it impossible to accept,” his management company Jetstar said in a statement to the outlet.

“Thank you, media friends and every fan of Godfrey’s for their concern. His management and team were present and his family were urgently rushed to the location. Please respect Godfrey’s family in this time of sorrow and refrain from disturbing them. We will accompany Godfrey’s family to handle discreet funeral arrangements. Thank you, everyone,” the statement continued.

It remains unclear what caused Gao to collapse and die.

Reps for the actor did not immediately respond to EW’s request for comment.

Born in Taiwan and raised in Vancouver, Canada, Gao became the first Asian male model for Louis Vuitton in 2011, according to the Vancouver Sun. He appeared on several TV shows and films, making his American debut in as Magnus Bane in 2013’s The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, starring Lily Collins. Most recently, Gao starred in the Chinese blockbuster Shanghai Fortress as Yang Jiannan.

The game show that Gao was filming at the time of his death is described as a “real-life version of cat and mouse” and is filmed at night. Two teams, which consist of celebrities, cast members, and regular people, compete in a series of physical tasks.

RIP Ron Liebman and Robert Walker Jr. 

Liebman might be best known now as Rachel's dad on Friends, but won a Tony for Angels in America. 

Robert Walker Jr we discussed in some thread recently. Charlie X from TOS. 

Edited by odessasteps

On 12/7/2019 at 12:38 PM, odessasteps said:

RIP Ron Liebman.

Liebman might be best known now as Rachel's dad on Friends, but won a Tony for Angels in America. 

I know I am not the only one here with Joe Bob Briggs level taste in movies and remembers him from (Not) Mad Magazine's Up The Academy (it was so bad that Rob paid thirty grand to have his name taken off of the movie credits) or as Alcalde Esteban from Zorro:  The Gay Blade.

RIP.

Edited by J.T.

The man was a force of nature in his role in Benson as Clayton Endicott, III. 

He matched Robert Guillaume stride for comedic stride.

I did not think he could top that performance and then came Odo.

Not only was he a prolific television actor, his list of voice acting credits in animated features is fucking legendary.

RIP.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

Auberjonois was the only actor who played a character on Superfriends so well that Andrea Romano sought him out to reprise in the DCAU.  I JUST knew him as a Star Trek guy for decades, then saw Benson for the first time since I was too little to remember much, and saw M*A*S*H and realized he'd been in Little Mermaid and a bunch of 80s cartoons and realized that he wasn't just an actor with one great role, but a rad performer with decades of them.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Auberjonois was the only actor who played a character on Superfriends so well that Andrea Romano sought him out to reprise in the DCAU.  I JUST knew him as a Star Trek guy for decades, then saw Benson for the first time since I was too little to remember much, and saw M*A*S*H and realized he'd been in Little Mermaid and a bunch of 80s cartoons and realized that he wasn't just an actor with one great role, but a rad performer with decades of them.

This is a similar situation for me where I saw and loved him as Odo only to realize years later I had seen or heard him in many other things.