DVDVR Message Board

IN MEMORIUM 2019

odessasteps

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This one stunned me when I saw it on social media yesterday.

It didn't help that I then read all the tributes from his fellow chefs

It's sad. I knew him from showing up on a radio show and he was always consistently funny.

And Sid Haig too. 

RIP gentlemen.

On 10/4/2019 at 1:06 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Diahann Carroll was one of the true trailblazers. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have come upon her works as I got older. She created a high watermark for African-American actors and actresses to strive for. She will be sorely, sorely missed.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I copped this late and also posted the news of his passing to the Shine On thread in the Music forum.

This remix was my shit in college.  RIP Original Don Dada.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Like most people my age, my first exposure to Taylor was Wayne's World 2. He carried out such a ridiculous persona but he's so much fun that he owns all his scenes.  I honestly didn't know whether he was a comedian, a musician (in my head Ithought he might be a crooner) or what, but I knew that I liked him.  I finally 'got' him after the Martin Short Show ep where Martin is the 'name' guest judge on the Gong Show, and Rip is very protective of his niche on the show.  Reading up on him later, he's fascinating as a dude who mostly worked TV warmups before the taping starts but whom Chuck Barris put on camera at every opportunity.  I think it took him dying for me to realize how good he is, and that sucks.

• Like 1

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. RIP. Dude was so good. I was first turned on to him in Jackie Brown and I've been a fan ever since. This one sucks, especially with El Camino just coming out.

The guy who created "Saved By the Bell," Sam Bobrick, has died at 87.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sam-bobrick-dead-saved-by-bell-creator-was-87-1247426?fbclid=IwAR1dVRuN9QRSarM1b458OQ6fj21ySVGoMt6o0vAaKUJvMwdBg4Cq7IH4B3I

Received an Emmy nod for his writing on the Smothers Brothers' show in the 1960s. Also wrote 19 "Andy Griffith Show" episodes and four Broadway plays.

• Sad 2

"The Kid Stays in the Picture," is probably the best book about the inner workings of Hollywood during that era.  Robert Evans was a delightfully entertaining blowhard, who tries to make us believe that he was a 40+ year old studio executive who had no idea what cocaine was before he met some 19 year old actress.  It's a great read about one of the legitimately best movie producers of all time.  His list of hits that other people passed on is pretty incredible.  

Weird. I just listened to Edward Norton tell a story about Robert Evans on Dax Sheppard's podcast this morning. Basically, when Norton wanted to direct his first movie Evans was like "if you can describe the movie in two sentences it will be a hit and if you can describe it in one sentence it will be a blockbuster." So Norton describes the plot to Keeping the Faith in one sentence and Evans was like, "it'll be a blockbuster!" 

It was at least a good movie.

You beat me by one second 

https://deadline.com/2019/10/john-witherspoon-dead-obituary-comedian-friday-star-77-1202772258/

EDIT: Two minutes? Why did it just show up then?

EDIT II: So that scratches his participation in Black Jesus (joining Charlie Murphy), Last Friday, and the new Boondocks. I really don't know what they do in the latter circumstance; grow the kids up I guess?

Edited by Curt McGirt