DVDVR Message Board

IN MEMORIUM 2019

odessasteps

1 minute ago, Execproducer said:

That is actually a lot of really good movies you are missing, but to each their own.

Exception is the 1956 version of Man Who Knew Too Much. 

I'm much, much more tolerant of Powell as a crooner than as a hard boiled detective. Let's say the Powell exception is Bad and the Beautiful. 

5 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

If I felt that way, I'd tolerate him just because of Lizabeth Scott and Evelyn Keyes.

For Scott, I can have my choice of Heston, Mitchum, or Bogey. I'm good there.

Keyes is a little tougher. Glen Ford, at least. How's Mr. Soft Touch? I've never seen that.

Edited by Matt D

1040689.jpg?b64lines=IFdIQVQnUyBBIFRJTSB

Literally, the first thing I thought of because he's from well before my time even though I still respect all those folk.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

TV character actor Max Wright has died at 75. You may not remember the name, but you knew his face and voice in the 80s and 90s …

The Norm Show ….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5otZmXrz4w

ALF ….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8NrcPL8_8Y

Buffalo Bill ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CejqQyKRh4U

Ah, hell...  I might be the only one here to have watched Laugh-In as a kid. I loved Arte Johnson, thought he was the funniest guy on the cast and that's some pretty high praise.

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

Ah, hell...  I might be the only one here to have watched Laugh-In as a kid. I loved Arte Johnson, thought he was the funniest guy on the cast and that's some pretty high praise.

I watched it as a kid on Nick at Nite in the 80s, but not as it aired. Johnson and Gibson were my favorites as a kid because while I didn't get the 20-year-old jokes about politics and was too young to get the sex jokes, I definitely got the physical comedy and puns and stuff. They were both big, kid-friendly performers who I loved. Then I watched it again after puberty and learning about the Vietnam War and got a whole lot more out of it.

2 hours ago, DouglasC said:

If you want to see Arte in a very different performance entirely, check out his one-man show from a Night Gallery episode. (Starts about the 38:30 mark)

That is a great performance. I always watched it because the first story on that one has Jeanette Nolan who was one of the greatest "always plays an old lady" actresses of all time.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah, this one's bothering my 11yo daughter.  She's right now Googling and YouTubing everything about it now, talking to me about every new thing she can find out.

Apparently it was because of a "medical condition," which I'm hoping isn't code for drugs.

Multiple sources reporting the passing of Rip Torn at 88.  Because I got into Larry Sanders in its last two seasons and David Bowie at the same time, I saw Sanders, HERCULES, MEN IN BLACK and MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH all around the same time when I was 20. I don't think any performer has been brought to my attention in so many disparate ways at the same time before or since.

• Sad 2