DVDVR Message Board

RIP "Mean" Gene Okerlund (1942-2019)

Guest Edwin

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The only appropriate way for St. Peter to greet Okerlund at the pearly gates was with a "Mean By God Gene, wooo".

Nah. Gene will be greated at the pearly gates by Heenan who gives him a big hug while also trying to lift Gene's wallet until an exasperated Gorilla Monsoon comes in and puts a stop to it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I don't know if anyone follows Scott Hudson on Facebook but he's been posting funny memories of Gene including this one:

GENE STORY: REVIEW OF GARY CAPPETTA'S BOOK NOTE: I have a lot, A LOT, of respect for Gary Cappetta. Sorry Gary. The announcing crew had our own dressing room at Nitros and PPVs. Tony, Mike, Mark, Penzer, DJ Ran, Buffer, Gene - we shared one space and spent almost the entire time cracking each other up. One night, we were all there prepping for the show and talking about former WCW ring announcer Gary Cappetta's book, "Memoirs of a Pitchman." Gene wanders in, fashionably late. I believe it was David Penzer that announced to Gene, "Hey Gene! Cappetta wrote a book. It's called "Memoirs of a Pitchman." Gene, with his suit bag still slung over his shoulder, lowered his sunglasses and mused, "Pitchman?! Cappetta couldn't sell a sick whore a bean sandwich!" We all collapsed (even though none of us had any idea what the hell he was talking about). Miss you, Gene.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, John Austin said:

I don't know if anyone follows Scott Hudson on Facebook but he's been posting funny memories of Gene including this one:

GENE STORY: REVIEW OF GARY CAPPETTA'S BOOK NOTE: I have a lot, A LOT, of respect for Gary Cappetta. Sorry Gary. The announcing crew had our own dressing room at Nitros and PPVs. Tony, Mike, Mark, Penzer, DJ Ran, Buffer, Gene - we shared one space and spent almost the entire time cracking each other up. One night, we were all there prepping for the show and talking about former WCW ring announcer Gary Cappetta's book, "Memoirs of a Pitchman." Gene wanders in, fashionably late. I believe it was David Penzer that announced to Gene, "Hey Gene! Cappetta wrote a book. It's called "Memoirs of a Pitchman." Gene, with his suit bag still slung over his shoulder, lowered his sunglasses and mused, "Pitchman?! Cappetta couldn't sell a sick whore a bean sandwich!" We all collapsed (even though none of us had any idea what the hell he was talking about). Miss you, Gene.

Does that story work out time-line wise? Amazon only has the paperback version of the book and dates that at October 2005. I doubt that the hardcover version was that long before to fall into the WCW era.

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

We only have Jesse Ventura left. ?

Not necessarily of the same ilk, but isn't Howard Finkel still alive? They should be rolling him out every year for the Royal Rumble introduction. (I'm gonna be real sad if someone tells me he already died, in which case they should have recorded his voice and played it as the intro every year, or better yet as a hologram)

I don't watch much of the classic stuff I grew up on these days, but watching these clips just shows how much more fun it all was when it was less polished and professional. Not to disparage the current lot (because they're just doing what is asked of them) but can you imagine say Charlie Caruso riffing an interview like Okerlund did?

I've mentioned this in threads before, but if you have the Network, one of the best segments they ever did was on that terrible Jerry Springer Too Hot for TV series.  Pull up the Bloopers and Blunders episode and fast forward 4 minutes in.  There's a montage of Gene Okerlund screwing around during his interview segments that shows just how much fun he was having.  Highlights being making Nikolai Volkoff lose his shit with laughter, cracking Greg Valentine, losing it when Hogan accidentally makes a double entendre about Gene's "python", and pretending to blow Roddy Piper with Vince laughing maniacally in the background.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of my favorite bad interviews as Okerlund interviews a "no-condition-to-be-interviewed" Paul Orndorff.  Lots of rambling, the last 30 seconds are amazing.

Gene loses it after Wendi Richter uses a poor choice of words (and never figures out why Gene is laughing.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swiftian said:

Not necessarily of the same ilk, but isn't Howard Finkel still alive? They should be rolling him out every year for the Royal Rumble introduction. (I'm gonna be real sad if someone tells me he already died, in which case they should have recorded his voice and played it as the intro every year, or better yet as a hologram)

I don't watch much of the classic stuff I grew up on these days, but watching these clips just shows how much more fun it all was when it was less polished and professional. Not to disparage the current lot (because they're just doing what is asked of them) but can you imagine say Charlie Caruso riffing an interview like Okerlund did?

Finkel is still alive but apparently in poor health

• Sad 4

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:03 AM, joseph2112 said:

RIP to the best. You could always see how much he enjoyed these promos. "EXACTLY! PRECISELY!"

People talk down about the WWE, but where else could you find a better example of positive Jewish / Muslim relations?

The WWE.  Promoter of racial and religious harmony and international goodwill since the 1980s.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

That awesome Kevin Hart commercial for Mountain Dew Kickstart featuring Mean Gene.is the second one in this video!

I marked out like a school girl the first time I saw it!

CAUSE THAT WHAT I DO WHEN I GET IT DONE SO I CAN DO IT~!  YEAHHHHHHHHH~!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

http://www.tmz.com/2019/01/03/mean-gene-okerlund-bad-fall-injuries-death/

"Mean" Gene Okerlund was seriously injured during a nasty fall back in December ... triggering a rapid decline in his health that ultimately led to his death, his son tells TMZ Sports

We spoke with Todd Okerlund who says Okerlund suffered multiple broken ribs during the fall at his Florida home and was treated at a hospital in Sarasota. 

Todd says Okerlund had been in frail health for a while but the fall clearly made things much worse. 

Just 4 days before his death, Gene was admitted to a nursing home .... but he began to have trouble breathing and was rushed to a hospital on Wednesday where he ultimately passed away with his wife, Jeanne, by his side. 

Todd tells us ... the family has been touched by all of the support for his father. Todd also says Gene LOVED his career and would have done it for free.