DVDVR Message Board

RIP "Mean" Gene Okerlund (1942-2019)

Guest Edwin

Given the fact that in today's environment announcers very rarely get the chance to improvise and go off the cuff an really feed of talent during promos , You realize he was more than just a voice.

No matter how ridiculous a persons gimmick was he was such a great straight man.

He is probably the most recognizable non inring talent ever. 

I'm glad he got to do that Commercial with Kevin Hart recently, that was cool. I'm also glad he did alot of stuff on the Network too in recent years.

• Like 4

It’s a little thing, but I love that the official WWE tweet refers to him as “the” most recognizable announcer and not “one of the” most recognizable. Because it’s true. Mean Gene IS pro wrestling announcer to most people. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Why did Vince start fazing our Gene in the first place? Was it the old guy thing, or was Vince pissed he wasn’t sharing that sweet sweet hotline money?

Also I can’t be the only one who thought Gene was moonlighting as the Dunkin Donuts guy, as a child.

At least publicly, Okerlund said he was simply burned out with the WWF when he left in 1993. He said WCW offered him more money for less travel and "office" work, plus the ability to launch the hotline.

I also recall him getting his first kidney transplant shortly after his arrival in WCW, so I'm also curious if Turner's willingness to pay more for medical also led to the decision (Heenan said he jumped in part due to WCW offering to pay for his neck surgery, so something similar here?)

35 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Given the fact that in today's environment announcers very rarely get the chance to improvise and go off the cuff an really feed of talent during promos , You realize he was more than just a voice.

No matter how ridiculous a persons gimmick was he was such a great straight man.

He is probably the most recognizable non inring talent ever. 

I'm glad he got to do that Commercial with Kevin Hart recently, that was cool. I'm also glad he did alot of stuff on the Network too in recent years.

His timing was tremendous as well as his mannerisms... the subtle things he would do as the wrestlers yammered away. I miss the old days when a bunch of wrestlers would come out and shoot the shit with each other to promote a house show, and THAT would be the entire promo. And more often than not, Gene would be the one leading them along.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

HEY! HE JUST RIFFLED A GUCCI SHOE!

This promo is great. Flair is unbelievable in it, but Gene's timing is perfect and it really compliments it. Great stuff.

In my mind the best way to put Gene Okerlund in perspective is this. We have constant discussions about who the best play-by-play guy is whether it's Jim Ross, Gordon Solie, Lance Russell, Joey Styles or a motivated Tony Schiavone. You have discussions about the best color commentator is: Heenan, Ventura, Dave Brown or Heyman. There is no argument about who the best interviewer in the history of professional wrestling is.

Gene Okerlund.

RIP to the best.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Anyone have a clip of Alex Wright (pre Berlin) getting interviewed by Mean Gene, speaking English, and Gene yelling ENGLISH PLEASE at him?

Or a compilation of

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAN

WOOOOOOOOOOOO

GOOD GOD

GENE 

I loved that shit so much.  Dude was the perfect interviewer but the moments when shit went weird were my favorites.  Especially the "FUCK IT" clip or the Dr. D clip

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

This is the all time classic. It’s also the hardest I’ve laughed in a long time if you watch it at 0.25 speed

This is the first time I’ve seen or even heard of this, brilliant. RIP Mean Gene

Those Mean Woo By God Gene intros are my favorite. If you saw Gene at the entrance or in the ring ready to interview and Flair’s music hit you knew you were in for something fun. 

Also I know we all hate Hogan now because he’s a racist piece of trash but “Well you know something Mean Gene” was always a classic start too. 

Flair in WCW though. It just did not feel right having anyone but Gene interview him during the MNW. 

Rip. 

Also lest we not forget this gem.

• Like 6