DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: PHOENIX - 1/26/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Sam didn't say anything racist, but he still sucked on the panel today. Pat did, too. Both of them need to go. They are horrible. Charly is fine in her role. She just needs to be paired up with better panelist.

For those of you who didn't see the pre-show -- there was an odd moment when Bobby Fish came out with an award bell and he said something about Pat wearing some short jeans with a blazer and a shirt and Pat got out of his chair and showed his shorts to the camera. Not sure if he was being funny or what, but it was awkward.

Just now, Edwin said:

Sam didn't say anything racist, but he still sucked on the panel today. Pat did, too. Both of them need to go. They are horrible. Charly is fine in her role. She just needs to be paired up with better panelist.

For those of you who didn't see the pre-show -- there was an odd moment when Bobby Fish came out with an award bell and he said something about Pat wearing some short jeans with a blazer and a shirt and Pat got out of his chair and showed his shorts to the camera. Not sure if he was being funny or what he was trying to accomplish with it, but it was a cringe moment.

Pat McAfee always wears a suit with shorts. It feels like at some point during every panel he's on he makes it a point to point this out like, "look at me! look at how wacky I am! I am Barstool as fuuuuuuck."

Just now, Casey said:

Who the fuck is Pat McAfee? Bring back Peter Rosenberg.

Some chode from Barstool Sports.

Peter Rosenberg is just as bad.

For fucks sake, all of their hired personalities are fucking TRASH. GARBAGE. They suck. The actual WWE interviewers and wrestlers and whatever are fine. Shit, even OTUNGA is better than McAfee and Rosenberg.

As for Sam, I never listened to O&A proper (Because fuck both of those assholes), but I would always catch clips with Patrice and then there would be shit with Patrice and Sam and they'd get clowned on for being wrestling fans.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Black is so awesome he's still doing an incredible job selling the leg. That is some dedication.

Other things amazing about this clip:

1) It's a pretty good fight. Good heat.
2) Dream's outfit is fabulous.
3) Ciampa yelling "I'M THE CHAMP" because he's being held back by refs.
4) Obadiah Stane running in at the end.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I love the NXT preshow panel. I'm a big fan of Sam and Pat is so bad he's funny. 

I heard Sam come up on O and A, and he's always been a wrestling fan who survived that back stabbing  chaos and stayed focused on success in radio.

Too bad Jim Norton isn't a wrestling fan. Lil' Jimmy is fucking hilarious, and a cool dude to boot.  I'd rather have him on the pre-show panels. I loved the Coke Logic animations for O&A. These were good times.

Tag match was incredible. UE one of the best teams in the world. War Raiders are good but legit run through the same patterned finishing stretch in every match.

Gargano/Ricochet gonna be a MOTY contender. I rewatched it. So much intricate shit and they didn’t miss a fucking thing. 

Shayna vs the wildly overrated Bianca was better than I thought. You can tell Michaels was the agent because Belair was choked out for about a half hour before the match was stopped. This was easily BB’s best match, tho. Love that Jessamyn and Marina are really ineffective at running in. Shayna should be the one that sends Rousey packing after ‘mania because that sets up a money grudge match.

Ohno vs Riddle was fine. It felt like an Evolve match actually. Slower paced and strike heavy. That tag was hard to follow.

The main- I need to rewatch. I figured Black had no shot and also NXT and NXTUK mains are going egregiously long now (which, for better or worse, is the HHH and Shawn playbook). The ending stretch was really, really good, tho.

Why the fuck do people care about commentators and announcers? Wrestling is good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

In case no one watched the Facebook videos, they might be setting up a weird split with TUE. There's a clip up where Fish, Strong, and Kyle are being interviewed and Fish is basically just saying this isn't anything and they'll be fine.

TUE IS FINE

Anyway :) Cole enters the scene and says that this is just a speedbump and they'll still hold all the gold and that's "undisputed." While he's saying all of this, Fish looks like he's totally onboard while Kyle and Strong don't look too happy. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but to me it felt like they might be setting up some kind of split with Kyle and Strong on one side and Cole and Fish on the other.

PLEASE DO NOT RUIN A GOOD THING BY SPLITTING THESE GUYS UP. This is the same bullshit that got us Dean Ambrose getting shots in the ass and wearing a gasmask. The Undisputed Era is great together. For fuck's sake, keep that main roster bullshit away from my NXT and keep the awesome group of asshole heels together

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Why the fuck do people care about commentators and announcers? Wrestling is good.

Are you talking about the pre-show? If so, because the pre-show is basically that and not wrestling, per se...

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

One other random note, WTF happened to long haired superfan guy in the front row who always goes with his mom? No mom tonight, he was wearing sunglasses, had facial hair, and had on a weird suit instead of his usual plain tshirt. 

He was grounded by his mom but he snuck out anyway in a fake moustache and his dad's suit. His golf clap gave him away though and now "you're gonna be in big trouble mister!"

• Haha 1

Does Roberts ever bury any other wrestlers to this degree? (Honestly asking as I never watch these pre-show deals).  If the answer is no and the one time he does is while burying a black woman than that’s another way that it implies racial undertones.  If this is the only time he’s buried a wrestler to this extent, even if it wasn’t racially motivated, it’s really bad optics and could easily be interpreted as such. 

• Like 2

Really enjoyed the show.

I might be in the minority but I really like McAfee, he's just a goofy dumb jock but he genuinely gets a chuckle out of me.  He's so dumb but that's his shtick and I enjoy it. He's the Stifler of NXT.

War Raiders were great, Ive always loved Rowe but never been sold on Hanson but he was incredible tonight.

Riddle / Hero was great and everything it should have been.

Ricochet v Gargano was incredible and maybe my MOTY already.

Ive said it before but I enjoy watching Shayna in big matches more than any other wrestler.  Her style is so legit and she killed Belair at times.  That whip was incredible though, but right in front of the ref? DQ? If they do a rematch then Shayna should make Belair put her hair up in a Hair v Title match.

I thought the main even dragged but it found it's pace in the last 5-10 mins, the finish didn't work for me but I got where they were going.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Who the fuck is Pat McAfee? Bring back Peter Rosenberg.

He's a former NFL Pro Bowl kicker, not just some "chode" sports analyst. I'm not entirely sure why the WWE hired him in an announcer capacity, but it's not like he was a nobody and walked into this sight unseen.

War Raiders vs. UE was predictably damn good and MOTN. I'm glad WR won. I don't love their team, but UE had held the belts long enough.

Riddle/Ohno was easily the worst match on the show and still pretty darn solid with some neat bits. One thing I have to say though is watching this makes me realize that Riddle is way more made for Japanese wrestling with all the fighting spirit he seemed to show.

Ricochet/Gargano started of well, lost me and the crowd for bit, but eventually gained the interest back. Honestly I'm not big on either guy, but I thought it was good overall. I do think it could have been better with five less minutes.

Shayna/Bianca was so darn good and easily the best Bianca has looked even with her flaws. Loved Shayna controlling the match and forcing Bianca into her biggest fight yet. Bianca was not ready, but she still came so close. I'm happy Bianca lost. It will be a nice point of growth for her character wise, and Shayna still has at least one or two more big matches to go with Kairi and Io before she heads off to the main roster to hopefully torture Bayley and friends. This was easily my favorite match from tonight even if it wasn't the best match.

Ciampa/Black was good but definitely 5 minutes too long, and the match should have ended at the second Fairytale Ending.

Loved DIY reuniting at the end.

The show was good and honestly about what I expected/hoped for.

• Like 1