DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: PHOENIX - 1/26/2019

Dolfan in NYC

56 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

That to me was about the very definition of "Why I get kinda tired of wrestling in 2019". They do a bunch of cool stuff but there is hardly any depth to it.

It is not helped by me starting to do a rewatch of all my 2004 RoH though. Might be more critical then I would be on stuff that can't match other stuff I'm watching.

I just watch W*ING all the time now and really enjoyed it.  Could have used some monster masks I guess.

• Like 1

It boggles the mind that people went into a Ricochet and Johnny Gargano match and expected anything but goofy facial expressions, flippy shit, "no selling" and all of the other stuff ya'll are complaining about. That's exactly what those two guys do best, why would tonight be the night they change it up and do a technical masterpiece that would make Bockwinkle blush or whatever you guys are hoping for. Hell, half (maybe all) of the stuff you guys are complaining about is exactly what NXT and WWE have been about for the past few years. If you're expecting 2004 Ring of Honor out of a developmental brand that grooms people to eventually work on the main WWE roster, you're going to be soooo fucking disappointed. And probably deserve to be.

• Like 2

I agree. What they are doing is clearly working and it's I guess a close enough approximation of how they will work on the main roster that it's still a good enough learning curve for them. I just don't particularly care for much of it but I'm not their target audience, so it's all good.

• Like 1

I watch NXT for the NXT style. I watch main roster WWE and hope for NXT style, but know I'll get same old safe WWE style unless it's like Rey vs Almas or something. I watch NJPW for that style. I watch the Fantasticamania show for that style. I watched some older WCW stuff (Sting vs Vader in particular) and I know what I'm getting there. 

In my mind and expectations I'm able to bucket this shit out and not expect something I'm not going to get. I just don't understand some of the mindsets here because without further explanation it just comes across as wanting to be a stick in the mud. I would hope that's not the intention and I doubt it is, but really, what is the expectation?

This was good wrestling tonight. Really good wrestling. Fun wrestling. If this isn't your flavor then fine, but because it's not your flavor don't try to say it's not good. Lucha isn't my cup of tea at all, but I'm not going to watch AAA or CMLL or whatever and expect something that it's not or say a good match isn't good just because I don't care for lucha.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

That main event was just painfully boring. The wrestling wasn't bad but I just don't care about Ciampa at all. Gargano was reaching that way for me but I loved the Black/Gargano cage match and thought his match with Ricochet was good too. Ciampa just needs to go to 205 already.

Enjoyed the rest of the card. Star marking performances from Bianca and the War Raiders. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I know some of you hate the ongoing DIY story, but I fucking love it. I love long term stories and this has been my favorite one in decades. 

So, I loved this show. And Sam Roberts was right!

Sure, let a dweeb take on a dump on one of your most promising young stars and then run over her with a bus while coming off as vaguely racist. Just so he can be right.

Tag Match: very good, right team won.

Riddle/Ohno: didn't do much for me.

North American Match: got what I expected, it was fine. Not sure I would rewatch it.

Women's Championship: very good especially in the back half. Bianca wasn't overwhelmed and the need to undermine her before she even gets anywhere in her career makes me feel a certain way about the naysayers. 

Men's Championship: way too long, should have ended after the draping DDT. Not sure they do all that to keep Black strong if he's going up right away, but we'll see. Technically good, but stopped making sense after a while.

Really needed Dream on the card. Him walking around in a snug red turtleneck was a major highlight.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tim Evans said:

That main event was just painfully boring. The wrestling wasn't bad but I just don't care about Ciampa at all. Gargano was reaching that way for me but I loved the Black/Gargano cage match and thought his match with Ricochet was good too. Ciampa just needs to go to 205 already.

Enjoyed the rest of the card. Star marking performances from Bianca and the War Raiders. 

I feel very similar to Tim and a few others. My favourite match is a toss-up between the Women's and the Tag title matches. I was completely caught up in the story and the drama between Shayna and Bianca and that hair whip and the aftermath looked brutal.

I agree that we could have done with the heavy character play of a Velveteen Dream match as the Ricochet and Ciampa matches were tipping the scales a lot towards the overindulgent / overwrought emotion / finisher kick-out fest.

I also realise the hypocrisy of saying that and then praising the tag match, which wasn't exactly light on crazy moves, but for whatever reason it felt a lot more palletable and well-paced in the tag context. 

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I can't stand Sam Roberts so I ain't gonna watch the video. Can one of y'all lovely people who's already suffered help a brother out and tell me what was racist about his rant?

Yeah...I actually did watch that video and I'm not sure what was racist about it unless I missed it.

I loved Riddle vs Ohno, just because it felt like a damn FIGHT. Kassius did a little too much to cater towards the foot fetish crowd, but it still was in the context of "I hate this son of a bitch and I want to hurt him".

Bianca really did make a star out of herself tonight. Powering out of the choke and refusing to say die, fighting off Jessamyn and Mrs. Strong, plus she CUT SHAYNA WITH HER HAIR. I'd be down for a rematch.

Ciampa vs Black was about two finishes too many but it was still a quality match. I'm always a sucker for the "heel works over the babyface's leg" story in a match. The look on Ciampa's face was priceless when Gargano came out to pose with him at the end. He thinks he's won and Johnny is fully on the dark side of the force. But...is he?(cue ominous music)

War Raiders and Undisputed Era got the party started right. The Era are so good at getting these shows started off on a high note being the smug douchebags you just want to see get punched in the face over and over again

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I can't stand Sam Roberts so I ain't gonna watch the video. Can one of y'all lovely people who's already suffered help a brother out and tell me what was racist about his rant?

He said the match was a waste of time, that Bianca was just a good athlete with no business even looking at Shayna despite being built for this moment,  and was pretty close to pulling the HHH card during the Booker T feud (IMO, anyway).

Charly and McAfee both seem surprised at how negative he went, as if him being heel was expected but he missed a cue and went WAY overboard. He went out of his way to discredit her, IMO. 

I feel there were racial overtones, but that's me.

• Like 1

In case no one watched the Facebook videos, they might be setting up a weird split with TUE. There's a clip up where Fish, Strong, and Kyle are being interviewed and Fish is basically just saying this isn't anything and they'll be fine.

TUE IS FINE

Anyway :) Cole enters the scene and says that this is just a speedbump and they'll still hold all the gold and that's "undisputed." While he's saying all of this, Fish looks like he's totally onboard while Kyle and Strong don't look too happy. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but to me it felt like they might be setting up some kind of split with Kyle and Strong on one side and Cole and Fish on the other.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Not sure what was racist about the video, but he did say she was not ready for TakeOver and said her match should have taken place elsewhere as TakeOver is a 5 match show and is for special matches or something along that line.

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Here's the Sam Roberts rant from the pre-show.  It's a solidly poor take:

So, for those who didn't see it, here's the rant. There's nothing racist about it. Sam rattles off a list of NXT champions and names Shayna, Charlotte, Sasha, Kairi and basically says that on experience, Bianca doesn't measure up. He says that Shayna shouldn't be taking on someone whose one special thing is a hair whip. He gives her credit for being an incredible athlete, says she'll be a champion some day, and even says this match would fit better on NXT TV as opposed to Takeover, but Bianca just isn't at that Takeover challenger level yet.

I mean, what is racist about what he said? There's nothing even remotely close to the promos HHH cut on Booker T in their feud. Yeah, burying the challenge on your big show is incredibly stupid and I'm not sure what the purpose of that was, but racist?

Put another way, there's nothing wrong with this if he picks Shayna and doesn't get into the whole "Bianca just isn't ready to challenge for a title on a Takeover yet" and doesn't compare her to NXT legends like Sasha and Charlotte.

I can only assume that they're going to build Bianca up to be the next champion, use this clip in a promo video about how Bianca is going to prove the naysayers wrong, how she is ready, and how she's going to take that title.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

He said the match was a waste of time, that Bianca was just a good athlete with no business even looking at Shayna despite being built for this moment,  and was pretty close to pulling the HHH card during the Booker T feud (IMO, anyway).

Charly and McAfee both seem surprised at how negative he went, as if him being heel was expected but he missed a cue and went WAY overboard. He went out of his way to discredit her, IMO. 

I feel there were racial overtones, but that's me.

Thanks. I see where you're coming from with the long history of commentators reducing black athletes to their "natural" athleticism and understand where you're coming from. I ain't gonna comment more than that without watching the video (and fuck that).

Unrelated: I am an old person now (33!) and find myself listening almost exclusively to podcasts and classical music as background noise on the rare occasion I actually listen to music these days. I checked out Poppy's stuff after kind of digging the song on Takeover and holy shit is "Time Is Up" great. I dig her a lot. Babymetal still is #1 for Takeover soundtracks though.

Just now, Oyaji said:

Thanks. I see where you're coming from with the long history of commentators reducing black athletes to their "natural" athleticism and understand where you're coming from. I ain't gonna comment more than that without watching the video (and fuck that).

Unrelated: I am an old person now (33!) and find myself listening almost exclusively to podcasts and classical music as background noise on the rare occasion I actually listen to music these days. I checked out Poppy's stuff after kind of digging the song on Takeover and holy shit is "Time Is Up" great. I dig her a lot. Babymetal still is #1 for Takeover soundtracks though.

Mmm, Babymetal on a Takeover was awesome and is probably my #2. #1 is Power Trip's Executioner's Tax. That may be the best fucking song they've ever used just because it was used for that great, great WarGames promo.

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

That's it for me. Roberts only gave her credit for her athletic abilities, not for being undefeated for over a year and working her way into the match.  Maybe Jimmy the Greek would have been a better analogy.

"Yeah she's strong, but all she's got against Shayna is a hair whip" is racial/racist when one considers the constant struggles African-American women have with society regarding their hair.

Thanks for not brushing off my POV. It gets tougher every day when even so-called 'well meaning' people do that without considering why someone may see life a certain way. Especially in 2019.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

That's it for me. Roberts only gave her credit for her athletic abilities, not for being undefeated for over a year and working her way into the match.  Maybe Jimmy the Greek would have been a better analogy.

"Yeah she's strong, but all she's got against Shayna is a hair whip" is racial/racist when one considers the constant struggles African-American women have with society regarding their hair.

Thanks for not brushing off my POV. It gets tougher every day when even so-called 'well meaning' people do that without considering why someone why see life a certain way. Especially in 2019.

The exact quote is "We're going to sit here on the panel and act like there's a possibility that one of the most skilled women in the history of NXT needs to worry about another woman hitting her with her ponytail."

This isn't remotely racist.