DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: PHOENIX - 1/26/2019

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

This is definitely the best or worst match of the night scenario for almost everyone.  I enjoyed the match a lot but most people are using this as the blueprint of people who hates seeing too many spots and no selling and too much flippy shit.   My argument is that if you don't want that style then don't sign him to begin.   

We didn't sign Ricochet, WWE did.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thought the opener between Undisputed Era and War Raiders was Match of the Night, enjoyed that more than anything else.

My MOTN was Gargano/Ricochet, then UE/War Raiders. I'm disappointed UE lost the titles. I figured we'd see some shenanigans with Adam Cole Bay-Bay and Bobby Fish. I'm sure we'll see more of UE/War Raiders, but it will be interesting to see who else gets shots.

I get what Sam Roberts was trying to say, but he just came off about as badly as you could. I think it was too soon for a Bianca title shot. At no point did I think she had a legit shot of the winning the title. I love Shayna Baszler's reign and see no reason to end it anytime soon. I'd wait for Dakota Kai to come back to take the belt from Shayna.

I wouldn't mind if Aleister got a post WM call up. I'm ready for some fresh match-ups for the belt. I'm beyond tired of Gargano vs. Ciampa, but I like heel #DIY holding singles titles. 

• Like 2

Baszler tonight was like watching Vader take on someone that COULD be ready some day, but today was going to be a huge wake up call that they weren't close. And then Baszler dismantled her and damn near squashed her.

• Like 4

Oh shit, I totally forgot about the crazy shit in Ohno vs Riddle. Ohno working the bare feet including stepping on them and, gonna throw up in my mouth a bit, chew on Riddle's big toe was something I haven't seen before. Call me crazy, but I thought that was grosser than the tampon spot from Suburban Fight.

Not only that, but like someone else mentioned, Riddle took a stiff fucking boot to the mouth and we saw a sleeper suplex followed by Ohno tapping to strikes. Shit was great.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

We didn't sign Ricochet, WWE did.

Was going to say this. The if you don't want that style then don't sign him to begin. bit is kinda confusing. I mean, I don't think Triple H goes into a board meeting and sits down to read the DVDVR message board and think gee, this fellow @Nice Guy Eddie really likes his Seinfeld... Also, we should sign this indy fellow @Oyaji's posting about.

The only thing left for Gargano to do to beat Ricochet was pull up his car and run him over in the middle of the ring and I'm sure even then Ricochet would have kicked out at 2.99 and put on a shocked/exhausted mug which would have got a close up tied to a This Is Awesome! chant.

Just now, ChesterCopperpot said:

I thought it was for the Cavs .... Mauro even mentioned the world cavalier.

I did catch Mauro using cavalier. ASU and the Cavs both wear the same colors.

I loved Mauro dropping the Devo reference during Shayna/Bianca.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I find it very interesting that this might be hte first time there isn't a mens superstar in NXT I would wank...

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Was going to say this. The if you don't want that style then don't sign him to begin. bit is kinda confusing. I mean, I don't think Triple H goes into a board meeting and sits down to read the DVDVR message board and think gee, this fellow @Nice Guy Eddie really likes his Seinfeld... Also, we should sign this indy fellow @Oyaji's posting about.

Just wait, Larry David.

I think the women's title match was decent and did a good job of showing Bianca strong even in defeat. It's amazing that they were even able to get the crowd back, after the match before, but damn if they were not drawn into that ending segment. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, hammerva said:

This is definitely the best or worst match of the night scenario for almost everyone.  I enjoyed the match a lot but most people are using this as the blueprint of people who hates seeing too many spots and no selling and too much flippy shit.   My argument is that if you don't want that style then don't sign him to begin.   

I don't love it even though I can understand why Dave will give it a full five on Wednesday. But I don't love it not for the reasons you mentioned. It had a fine story and it was executed really well. It's just everything about nxt is over produced and is the wrestling equivalent to a very bright 16 year old's poetry/LiveJournal if we go back like a decade. Filled with affectation, too hammy to the point it's overthought and unnatural. Mid match promos at terrible times that chill a molten crowd, over the top facial reactions, going from one contrived spot to another. The tag match came off like a checklist of awesome spots designed to get chants and it worked perfectly but it's not for me. This style started with Revival/AA but really went all out with DIY. And I say this as somebody who loves the Golden Lovers and the Young Bucks. It's hypocritical I know but I feel like nxt as a whole just comes off so over produced. It's not bad. It's great but I can't connect with it at an emotional level. But NXT is really great at advancing and telling long term stories primarily in the ring unlike any Vince product ever. That's great. 

I applaud them doing something unique and unconventional with the DIY arc though. It sometimes makes for awkward crowd reactions and completely overshadows other workers/has stunted some development of other characters, much like a macro version of Gargano's HBK's to the power of ten facial reactions. But it's different and should make for a big splash of a finale at mania weekend. 

My favourite match and the match that I'd want to go back and watch again is Riddle/Ohno. It had fire and brutality that most nxt matches lack. It wasn't as heated as the other matches and yeah it had some cutesy spots but they brought it. 

• Like 1

I thought that was a star making performance for Bianca. She came out and the fans were kinda mild. By the end she had them chanting EST. Great stuff. Happy for her. She's one of my NXT favorites.

36 minutes ago, Craig H said:

HHH selling that some sort of physical altercation happened between Black, Dream, Ricochet, and others backstage.

Im not sure exactly when the show went off the air, but after Gargano came out at the end, Dream showed up and confronted the two of them, then Cole came out, then Ricochet and then Black came up from the ring. Cole sided with DIY and there was a brawl that was broken up but then continued in the back. After that Black/Dream/Ricochet came out and posed for a while.

56 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

That to me was about the very definition of "Why I get kinda tired of wrestling in 2019". They do a bunch of cool stuff but there is hardly any depth to it.

It is not helped by me starting to do a rewatch of all my 2004 RoH though. Might be more critical then I would be on stuff that can't match other stuff I'm watching.

I just watch W*ING all the time now and really enjoyed it.  Could have used some monster masks I guess.

• Like 1