DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: PHOENIX - 1/26/2019

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I have no idea what they are trying to accomplish with it

Well outside Sam coming across as racist

Well it most people thought the intention of it was to portray Belair winning as this super upset which is kind of stupid but I guess you want Shayna to be Rousey like

So Shayna still wins.  If Roberts comes out and tells people how dumb he was and how great the match was and how good Belair is then great .  If not then yeah your argument holds a ton of water

Incredible show. Worst match was the women's championship, but even that wasn't that bad. So much good shit tonight. Black selling the leg was everything Seth thinks he's doing, but really isn't. 

Fingers crossed my dream ending for the Royal Rumble happens tomorrow with Black winning it for the ultimate surprise and to create an instant star. 

One other random note, WTF happened to long haired superfan guy in the front row who always goes with his mom? No mom tonight, he was wearing sunglasses, had facial hair, and had on a weird suit instead of his usual plain tshirt. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yeah, super done with the DIY stuff. 

Belair vs. Bayzler was the match I was most looking forward to and I enjoyed it a good deal. Kinda sick of the heel lackeys getting involved in all of Shayna's matches, but it's impressive she can keep her badass presence even while getting run ins to save her title all the time.

Tag Title Match was pretty fun, and O'Reilly and Strong are the best part of UE by a good deal. I honestly wonder if Undisputed Era are about to be called up, because I don't know what else to do with them at the NXT level. Raiders make a fine chap, and the NXT tag division has a lot of teams I'm excited for. I kinda want Lorcan and Burch to get a shot at them.

It feels like the problem with Ricochet is every time he wrestles he makes his opponent have his style of match. It raises worse workers to his level, but lowers guys like Gargano who have shown they can certainly be capable of more.

Ciampa vs. Black was certainly long. It wasn't bad, though it taking fucking 4 of Ciampa's finishers to win kinda took me out. Would have been happier if the 2nd was just the finish.

This card badly needed a Dream match imo.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Boy Sam Roberts getting involved in angles is the last thing I want from my NXT

Here's the Sam Roberts rant from the pre-show.  It's a solidly poor take:

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thought the opener between Undisputed Era and War Raiders was Match of the Night, enjoyed that more than anything else.

This, Riddle/Ohno III and the women's title match were the best matches on the show.

Ricochet/Gargano was too PWG-esque for my taste. Gargano was great, but Ricochet was just out there "hey, look at me. I can do flips and athletics spots" more so than the norm.

Ciampa/Black was alright, but way too long for my taste.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Worst match was the women's championship, but even that wasn't that bad.

I know it's a matter of taste, but I thought that was far better than Ricochet/Gargano.

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

You want something done right?   

Dx4neY1WsAIYzUc?format=jpg&name=large

Do It Yourself.

I hope this leads to a reunion match vs. Black and Ricochet at the tapings next week.

Blair doing the Seth Rollins sell job of her shoulder where she acts like it hurts, but continues to use it was really frustrating. She's almost there, but this match exposed her a little bit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Jesus. Ricochet vs Gargano was fucking awesome. 

That to me was about the very definition of "Why I get kinda tired of wrestling in 2019". They do a bunch of cool stuff but there is hardly any depth to it.

It is not helped by me starting to do a rewatch of all my 2004 RoH though. Might be more critical then I would be on stuff that can't match other stuff I'm watching.

7 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

This card badly needed a Dream match imo.

Exactly what I thought.

Also the Velveteen Harem should have had like eight more people and at least one other gender in it

Riddle getting a boot literally in the mouth and getting his bare toes mangled were gross

Wasn't really sure how I was meant to feel by the end of that big sweep of heels in the 2nd half. Was momentarily terrified the puddle of water was their deliberately planned Chekov's banana skin

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Jesus. Ricochet vs Gargano was fucking awesome. 

This is definitely the best or worst match of the night scenario for almost everyone.  I enjoyed the match a lot but most people are using this as the blueprint of people who hates seeing too many spots and no selling and too much flippy shit.   My argument is that if you don't want that style then don't sign him to begin.   

• Like 1