DVDVR Message Board

2019 Game Deals, Subscriptions Etc.

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I have a friend that loves that game, and I'm surprised there's a community around it given how bad it sounded upon release.

I never really gave it an honest try, because I got it after Bethesda was like, "OK, we fucked up, we're going to fix this."  From the little bit I've played, it just feels empty in a way that made me want to wait for them to fill the world.  The thing that really struck me was how little it felt like a Fallout game.  Exploring the world and meeting new characters is pretty much what makes the game work.  They took all of that away and replaced it with fetch quests given to you by scraps of paper, computer terminals, and audio logs.  

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I have a friend that loves that game, and I'm surprised there's a community around it given how bad it sounded upon release.

The game never played so terribly for me around that time. I enjoy it, but the community is a bit up an down with their being legit reasons to be annoyed and angry with Bethesda and others where its ind of clear people just want shit for free. The big thing though is the in game community is usually helpful with each other, so helpful to the point where it kind of shocked Todd Howard. I can kind of see why considering how many people have complained about Bethesda not giving enough evil options in the past (FO4 specifically)

34 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I never really gave it an honest try, because I got it after Bethesda was like, "OK, we fucked up, we're going to fix this."  From the little bit I've played, it just feels empty in a way that made me want to wait for them to fill the world.  The thing that really struck me was how little it felt like a Fallout game.  Exploring the world and meeting new characters is pretty much what makes the game work.  They took all of that away and replaced it with fetch quests given to you by scraps of paper, computer terminals, and audio logs.  

The story they set up explains the empty world well. I actually like it, but its definitely something that can only go so far when trying to create a gameplay with replay value.

Wastelanders is the overhaul you're waiting for. It won't come until some time next quarter (likely January or February). They pushed back its original release (this month) to give it further fine tuning. Basically they wanted to avoid the same disaster they had during its release. Of course they screwed themselves a bit further by not also pushing back a subscription service for private worlds set to release around the same time.

Edited by Eivion

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

The game never played so terribly for me around that time. I enjoy it, but the community is a bit up an down with their being legit reasons to be annoyed and angry with Bethesda and others where its ind of clear people just want shit for free. The big thing though is the in game community is usually helpful with each other, so helpful to the point where it kind of shocked Todd Howard. I can kind of see why considering how many people have complained about Bethesda not giving enough evil options in the past (FO4 specifically)

The story they set up explains the empty world well. I actually like it, but its definitely something that can only go so far when trying to create a gameplay with replay value.

Wastelanders is the overhaul you're waiting for. It won't come until some time next quarter (like January or February). They pushed back its original release (this month) to give it further fine tuning. Basically they wanted to avoid the same disaster they had during its release. Of course they screwed themselves a bit further by not also pushing back a subscription service for private worlds set to release at the around time.

I think the biggest problem with Fallout 76 is that is a game that no one wanted.  It's kind of like the new Charlie's Angels movie.  It popped up and the audience as a whole thought, "I'll wait and see."  I remember when Fallout 3 was announced, and pretty much everyone with a game console was excited about it.  Fallout 4 was announced and most fans of the series were really excited about it.  Fallout 76 was announced and everyone asked, "so why is it online?"  It didn't help that when it came out, everyone skepticism was pretty much confirmed.  Who wants to wander around an empty ass wasteland, when the world building of the previous games was one of the biggest selling points?  It's like they announced a Mortal Kombat game that dropped you into the game and instead of fighting you search through the 2D background to find clues about who the characters are and how they got pulled into this crazy fighting tournament.  Sure, it's kind of like a Mortal Kombat game, it lives in the same world, but this isn't actually what I want to be doing in this space.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I think the biggest problem with Fallout 76 is that is a game that no one wanted.  It's kind of like the new Charlie's Angels movie.  It popped up and the audience as a whole thought, "I'll wait and see."  I remember when Fallout 3 was announced, and pretty much everyone with a game console was excited about it.  Fallout 4 was announced and most fans of the series were really excited about it.  Fallout 76 was announced and everyone asked, "so why is it online?"  It didn't help that when it came out, everyone skepticism was pretty much confirmed.  Who wants to wander around an empty ass wasteland, when the world building of the previous games was one of the biggest selling points?  It's like they announced a Mortal Kombat game that dropped you into the game and instead of fighting you search through the 2D background to find clues about who the characters are and how they got pulled into this crazy fighting tournament.  Sure, it's kind of like a Mortal Kombat game, it lives in the same world, but this isn't actually what I want to be doing in this space.  

As one of the people who still plays semi-regularly I have to agree with this. While I wanted another Fallout game, 76 wasn't really it. Even the interest I had with the idea of Fallout online it doesn't quite fit what 76 gave us.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Didn't FO76 just move to a monthly subscription model that was widely panned because the monthly subscription gives you jack shit and private servers that aren't even private?

Its a subscription service for private servers. The thing is too limited and too pricey. It also has items people were interested in (Ranger armor, scrapbox) that they can't otherwise access w/o being members. I don't have a problem with the idea of it personally. I just think it needs to be cheaper, have sustained worlds/servers, give more options for the rules of said worlds/servers, and maybe remove the scrapbox access for whenever these people play the game in regular worlds.

55 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

The game is still open to anyone, the monthly sub thing is a "premium" service that isn't very premium.

I honestly can't fathom what Bethesda have been trying to do with that game, business-wise.

According to some youtubers who have done some digging it has to do with Zenimax likely wanting Bethesda to create a regular, consistent profit so they can eventually sell the company. Apparently they tried to do so a few years back only to have no buyers due to how the company earns profit with only one big release every 3 years. The profit might be big, but its not the way the current owners want to earn it.

10 minutes ago, kenyabaxterZXW said:

Xbox Games with Gold for December 2019

Xbox One

Xbox 360

I'll play Toy Story out of curiosity. I somehow remember the SNES game being decent if not frustratingly difficult.

For those who, like me, have gone from visiting Humble Bundle twice a week to maybe twice a month, remember that there's an Advent calendar bundle (new items unlocked every day) to go with the Yogscast Jingle Jam.  $30, 100 percent to charity, some items have a limited number of keys and will run out before the bundle expires on NYE.

• 2 weeks later...

Be sure to double check Fanatical if you are eyeing up a few AAA games as well. Monster Hunter World and Resident Evil 2 are both *slightly* higher discounted on Fanatical than in the Steam sale.

I mean it's a couple bucks here and there, but we're also talking about a megasale where you can find actually good indie shit like One Finger Death Punch for a buck too.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 1:18 PM, Death From Above said:

The game is still open to anyone, the monthly sub thing is a "premium" service that isn't very premium.

I honestly can't fathom what Bethesda have been trying to do with that game, business-wise.

shootfoot-300x199.jpg

On 12/22/2019 at 12:07 PM, Ramo2653 said:

Redbox is getting out of the game rental business so you can get the option to buy games at their kiosks. I picked up the Fallen Order game for $25.00 at the one by me.

My brother in law had told me about this on Christmas.

He said he heard about it, went out the next day and the machine he went to was already sold out of games

On 12/22/2019 at 11:07 AM, Ramo2653 said:

Redbox is getting out of the game rental business so you can get the option to buy games at their kiosks. I picked up the Fallen Order game for $25.00 at the one by me.

Thought this might be the case when I saw a lack of rental option on the closest Walgreens redboxes last week.

• RIPPA locked this topic