DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

11 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Well, the 800 lb gorilla in the room is obviously the on-going McGregor story, he's been asked for and has submitted a DNA sample which doesn't mean anything in context as the story being told is that it was consensual, supposedly there are things in the police report that refute that, but I haven't seen a police report as of yet. So has this thing been debunked? 

I had no idea what you were speaking about until I did the research. I guess what Dave said on the last WOR about Conor having more problems than worrying about fighting Cerrone makes a little bit more sense.

I don't read Terez Owens so I don't know how credible that website is, but based on his behavior during the first Khabib presser w/o fans and his subsequent performance at UFC 229 where his punches had no weight behind them, it ain't hard to believe he is just an out of control cokehead. This is in addition to Kavanagh essentially quitting as his coach months back. Kavanagh was basically on board for a lot of Conor's foolishness. Something would have to be going on serious that would make him quit.

Okay, as I've mentioned before, I know (through darts fandom/playing) some hard bastards from the old country, I don't know exactly what they're into and the fact that I don't want to know and that I just stay in my lane is respected by these guys, we limit talk to music, darts, MMA, women, and so on and never, ever does anything political or religious get mentioned. Suffice to say that I know guys who know guys that are in Conor's merry band of thugs. See, Ireland isn't really a big place, especially not if you have any level of celebrity. I had to quash a rumor that I'd be attending the World Science Fiction Convention in Dublin which got started because Centipede Press is releasing one of those whopper that I put together, Masters of SF: Jack Dann; based  on nothing more than the facts that both Jack and myself are of Irish ancestry and that I said in an interview some twenty years ago that if WorldCon was ever in Dublin that might get me to visit the old country. (This was way before I became pretty much homebound), anyway, someone remembered my saying that and so the rumor that I'd be in attendance got started, even though I haven't made a public appearance in over a decade, but the rumor was all over the place to the point that I had casual acquaintances  offering up their home as a place to stay during the convention... Now if a mid-list American writer/editor generates that sort of buzz, you can imagine what sort of scrutiny a major player in MMA is going to get...

I held off saying anything because all roads were leading back to Sherdork, but really, where else are people going to talk about it? Here's what I know for certain, lots of folk have Conor in the celebrity death pool for 2019 because of his behavior. He wants to be a thug and won't stay in his lane,  so he's been doing a lot of stuff that he shouldn't be doing, the sort of people that can produce coke instantly by making a phone call at 5AM are just the sort of people that you don't want to antagonize by waking them up at 5AM because you ran out of blow. Basically, Conor has the three worst things going for him that he could possibly have. 1. Lots of money, 2. A cocaine-induced sense of invulnerability because of 1. and 3. A group of sycophantic thugs that tell him how cool he's being because he buys all the coke.  How does this equate to a rape allegation? Well, of you hang out with thugs long enough it's likely that you will do thuggish things, especially if your judgement is clouded by doing so much coke that you think waking up the sort of people that I would go to great lengths to avoid offending is a good idea. The leap from that sort if stupidity to forcible rape in front of a crowd of witnesses doesn't seem that much of a stretch. The fact that there's an open police investigation and that Conor was asked to submit to DNA testing speaks volumes. As for the Conor fanboys who are citing that he's not locked up as some sort of proof of innocence need to be reminded of a couple of things... Last time I looked, Eire is a fucking island, it's pretty easy to tell someone to stay put and monitor possible exits to make sure that they comply. I don't know that the police have told Conor to "stay put". but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. Do I think that Conor's in deep doo-doo? Undoubtedly, and do I think he's stupid enough to think that throwing money around will make it go away? Oh, absolutely I do. As to which gets him first, the law or his refusal to stay in his lane? Conor's best hope right now is for a lengthy prison term. It's one thing to play thug for American sports-media by showing up wearing a suit embroidered with "fuck you" and waving around a bottle of your personal brand of whisky; it's quite another thing entirely to play thug with guys that are the real deal. The former will get you another fifteen minutes, the latter can get you disappeared as thoroughly as an alien abduction. 

So realistically, he could start a fight camp next week and not be overtrained by the time the suspension ends.

Nevada being Nevada.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

So realistically, he could start a fight camp next week and not be overtrained by the time the suspension ends.

Nevada being Nevada.

Khabib has been working with the commission for the last few months to come to a settlement so it's not all that surprising.

For those doing some simple math, Khabib is suspended till July 6th but his suspension can be reduced and end on April 6th just like Conor's on good behavior and participating in an anti-bullying campaign. I'm guessing it's likely to be reduced.

What would a Khabib anti-bullying campaign look like? "If you've been a victim of racist bullying, don't retaliate physically like I did, or you might get a slap on the wrist. If you've been bullying someone else in a racist fashion, you should probably stop and apologise before they eagle bear smash you."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

What would a Khabib anti-bullying campaign look like? "If you've been a victim of racist bullying, don't retaliate physically like I did, or you might get a slap on the wrist. If you've been bullying someone else in a racist fashion, you should probably stop and apologise before they eagle bear smash you."

Seriously, why is he the one who has to do the anti-bullying campaign.  There is only so much taunting someone is going to take about their race, religion, country, etc.  I don't think Khabib was in the right, but he didn't bully anyone.

24 minutes ago, AxB said:

I don't think it's a slap on the wrist. No one got hurt and there was no damage to anything. Zab Judah put his hands on a ref (Jay Nady) and only got six months and a $75k fine. For his second offense in Nevada (the Mayweather camp vs. the Judahs during his fight against Floyd), he got a year and a $250,000 fine. That's a repeat offender and he only got three more months than what Khabib got but a smaller fine.

Keep in mind, Conor spent a ton of time goading Khabib. The commission can't even be surprised at Khabib's reaction.

Well, I'm not saying half a million dollars is not a lot of money. It's a huge amount of money. But considering how much money Khabib is liable to make this year, it's not that much to him.

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

Well, I'm not saying half a million dollars is not a lot of money. It's a huge amount of money. But considering how much money Khabib is liable to make this year, it's not that much to him.

Commission aren't suppose to leech off your future earnings though. This isn't a divorce hearing.

Keep in mind, there was talk at the earlier hearing about going after PPV cuts which there is no precedent of. If you don't want any fighter of note to ever fight in Nevada again, do that. That would be disastrous for Nevada especially since there is no justification for even thinking of something like that.

• Like 1

The window on getting away with that closed as soon as the era where Zuffa's answer to everything was "book a show in Vegas" ended.

It's Superbowl weekend. Book a show in Vegas.

NBA finals are finishing. Book a show in Vegas.

Randy Couture is coming out of retirement. Book a show in Vegas.

There's nothing on the table for September. Book a show in Vegas.

But that's all come to a close now. The last thing they need is to further disincentivise the UFC from running there.

17 minutes ago, AxB said:

The window on getting away with that closed as soon as the era where Zuffa's answer to everything was "book a show in Vegas" ended.

It's Superbowl weekend. Book a show in Vegas.

NBA finals are finishing. Book a show in Vegas.

Randy Couture is coming out of retirement. Book a show in Vegas.

There's nothing on the table for September. Book a show in Vegas.

But that's all come to a close now. The last thing they need is to further disincentivise the UFC from running there.

I think what happened with the UFC prior to the sale was they were trying to do the Superbowl weekend/Memorial Day weekend/IFW/NYE PPV in addition to booking a shows in Nevada when the big fights came to fruition. The problem is it's too hard to sell tickets in Vegas so why put pressure on yourself to put on half a dozen big main events and still worry about do something worthwhile on other shows? You would have to have an otherworldly year in terms of things lining up and shit not going awry. The obligation to doing a show at MSG in November also put a dent in that because they have to put on at least a good card. So they got rid the Super Saturday and Memorial Day weekend PPVs in Vegas, kept the other two, and now they are free and clear to run anywhere most of the year. If they wanna run somewhere else in October and not in Las Vegas, they can do so because they're not obligated to. 

I don't think there is a fracture in the relationship of Nevada and the UFC (I mean Zuffa ain't setting up shop anywhere else) as much as that type of set schedule is insanity unless you are replete with bonafide draws.