DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Praise be. Love the shit out of this fight. 

Same. Adesanya/Romero and Zhang vs. Jedrzejcyzk as the two title fights! My birthday's on the 6th and this the day after, well 8th for the main card in the early hours of Sunday morning UK time.

Edited by The Natural

Not sure if folks will really mind but in the new WON Meltzer said that due to the new laws in California (the one cracking down on the use of independent contractors in the state aka the one people thing will force the WWE to reclassify wrestlers) that he will stop writing for MMA Fighting in March.

Basically Vox Media (who own MMA Fighting) have said if you live in CA and work for them, you have to be full time and Dave clearly can't work for them full time

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Not sure if folks will really mind but in the new WON Meltzer said that due to the new laws in California (the one cracking down on the use of independent contractors in the state aka the one people thing will force the WWE to reclassify wrestlers) that he will stop writing for MMA Fighting in March.

Basically Vox Media (who own MMA Fighting) have said if you live in CA and work for them, you have to be full time and Dave clearly can't work for them full time

Dave's job w/ MMA Fighting is basically talking about ratings,  and it's not like you don't have MMA Payout basically doing the same thing. Meltzer's stuff for them is "Here is the rating and it's up from or down from etc". He occasionally does stories for them, but if you really think about it, F4WOnline is a competitor to MMA Fighting. If you check the daily updates, all the fight announcements and news is right there. If you subscribe to the Observer, you get everything in depth and actual real analysis.

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

@Elsalvajeloco, are you bringing back the End of Year MMA Awards? I don't remember them happening last year.

If I had the time I would, but the holidays are the busiest time for my job so it makes it extremely, extremely difficult. Plus, I don't think there is enough overall dissension in most categories that makes it that intriguing by year's end. If there are seven or eight regular posters if that and ten or so casuals who drop in every once in a while and fifteen of them vote the same fighter, fight, etc., it's pretty counterproductive to do awards that people can vote on.

With that said, I may do a revamped version for 2020 depending on how the year plays out and my availability. I can also keep track of things for every potential category, which I really didn't do for 2019. So it would be much easier to just start anew with 2020 instead of going all the way back to December 2018/January 2019 to do research and do the awards at the end of January/early February when I would actually have time. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If I had the time I would, but the holidays are the busiest time for my job so it makes it extremely, extremely difficult. Plus, I don't think there is enough overall dissension in most categories that makes it that intriguing by year's end. If there are seven or eight regular posters if that and ten or so casuals who drop in every once in a while and fifteen of them vote the same fighter, fight, etc., it's pretty counterproductive to do awards that people can vote on.

With that said, I may do a revamped version for 2020 depending on how the year plays out and my availability. I can also keep track of things for every potential category, which I really didn't do for 2019. So it would be much easier to just start anew with 2020 instead of going all the way back to December 2018/January 2019 to do research and do the awards at the end of January/early February when I would actually have time. 

Thanks for the reply, @Elsalvajeloco. Work comes first and you're right that some categories are less competitive to others.

2019 was the year of the KO. You'd think Jorge Masvidal's running knee with brutal punches to Ben Askren in the fastest KO in UFC history, 5 seconds would win.

Other contenders: Valentina Shevchenko's head kick to Jessica Eye left me worried for Eye's health for how long she was out and how her feet went, Masvidal's punches on Darren Till, Jessica Andrade's slam to Thug Rose and Irene Aldana putting Ketlen Vieira out last week.

Edited by The Natural

19 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Interesting poster, Walker looks like he just stepped in something unpleasant and Krylov looks like he thinks Walker is something unpleasant to be stepped in.

On 12/23/2019 at 11:46 PM, The Natural said:

Agree on all counts. I was really concerned for Eye's wellbeing.

Indeed, I mentioned on another thread that my 34 year-old nephew and I were screwing around in the backyard when he bet me $20 that I couldn't kick him in the head (he's my height, 5 '10), so hardly a problem. It knocked him the fuck out for a few seconds and I guarantee that I don't kick anywhere near as hard as Shevchenko.  At 62, I'm pretty much a one-trick pony, but it's a really amusing trick if you're not expecting it... ?

• Like 1

• RIPPA unpinned and locked this topic