DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Jesus, Jose. We were all surprised when Jose Aldo said he was moving to Bantamweight as he struggles making Featherweight. James Irvin, Anthony Pettis and TJ Dillashaw going to have competition for worst looking fighters on the scales at weigh-in.

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

I don't know if he has any interest in acting, but he looks like he's preparing for the tragic story of some dude with a rare disease.  

It's weird that when that picture of 50 came out, all the trades made it seem like it was going to be like this Oscar bait film that would launch his film career. Then it turned out it was this direct-to-video film but with Lynn Whitfield trying her best to make something out of nothing. I know 50 based it off what happened to his friend, but if I go through that type of hell, that shit better win every goddamn award.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was hoping for Frankie Edgar but didn't expect it to happen as he was booked to make his Bantamweight debut next month. Also this fight was scheduled before all that but Edgar pulled out with injury. Glad to get it still.

Not a great look, UFC. Unacceptable UFC.

Liz Carmouche: 

I’m a little bit pained,” Liz Carmouche told MMA Junkie. “They brought me out here and had me doing a lot of media obligations. I went to Arlington Cemetery and was part of the wreath ceremony. They brought me out as a veteran and as a fighter. Then today they had me going to the hospital and talking to different people and different wards – only to find out that I’d been released earlier. The news just finally trickled down to me.

“It’s a little bit insane that you would (do that). I took time off from work to be here at my own pocket expense. It’s a little bit sad. Then, two, that it would be done that way… I’m here with the UFC and you could have actually spoken to me firsthand then hear it from my management team.

“Especially during the holiday season. I have a four-year-old at home. . . . And to be done this way is definitely not a great taste.

“It definitely sucks, but at the same time, I know it’s for good reason. They’re are a lot more positive things in my future. There’s been all different organizations that have been contacting me for years now. And I just expressed my loyalty to the UFC and stayed with the organization.

“So now I can actually be a free agent and see what the best opportunity is, who is going to have the best fighters, and really I’m looking forward to that aspect of it.

“I stayed in the UFC because they had the top, most competitive women. Bellator is second to that and I see a lot of prospects,” Carmouche said. “They’re building their division doing a phenomenal job. (Macfarlane) has built that up and I really feel like she’s made Bellator what it is as far as the women are concerned. So I certainly don’t want to take anything from her.

“But I also know there are other organizations like RIZIN and ONE. Both have such great fighters and they’re great shows.”

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 1

After how she fought in the title fight, I'm surprised they didn't give her the walking papers as she left the cage. One way or another, this wasn't going to end up with Carmouche continuing her career in the UFC.

I mean Demian Maia probably is only still in the UFC after his performance in the title fight with Woodley because he's Demian goddamn Maia. If Francis Ngannou didn't possess power of unearthly origin, he might have been gone after the Derrick Lewis fight. If you shit the bed in a title fight or a marquee fight and you're not that entertaining to watch in the first place, you're on borrowed time. I see Gerald Harris just officially retired (again) this past week or so...remember how fast Gerald Harris got cut after the Maiquel Falcao fight? That was only four or five months after he piledrove poor David Branch through the mat. Shit, only a month and half later, Antonio McKee was one and done in the UFC because the Jacob Volkmann fight was so awful and that was BEFORE every fight was televised in some capacity so only the few scant people who show up early for fights in Vegas got to witness that stinker. Granted with Antonio (Sr.), he didn't have the best relationship with the UFC prior to him signing anyway.

BTW, Renan Barao is gone too.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

After how she fought in the title fight, I'm surprised they didn't give her the walking papers as she left the cage. One way or another, this wasn't going to end up with Carmouche continuing her career in the UFC.

I mean Demian Maia probably is only still in the UFC after his performance in the title fight with Woodley because he's Demian goddamn Maia. If Francis Ngannou didn't possess power of unearthly origin, he might have been gone after the Derrick Lewis fight. If you shit the bed in a title fight or a marquee fight and you're not that entertaining to watch in the first place, you're on borrowed time. I see Gerald Harris just officially retired (again) this past week or so...remember how fast Gerald Harris got cut after the Maiquel Falcao fight? That was only four or five months after he piledrove poor David Branch through the mat. Shit, only a month and half later, Antonio McKee was one and done in the UFC because the Jacob Volkmann fight was so awful and that was BEFORE every fight was televised in some capacity so only the few scant people who show up early for fights in Vegas got to witness that stinker. Granted with Antonio (Sr.), he didn't have the best relationship with the UFC prior to him signing anyway.

BTW, Renan Barao is gone too.

Shevchenko vs. Carmouche 2 sucked. Its a results business and you need to entertain. It's the manner of Liz Carmouche's dismissal that's wrong, finding out while doing promotional work as a army veteran plus the time of year.

Renan Barao's drop in form is one of the biggest in MMA from where he once was.

Edited by The Natural