DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

@Setsuna, anything worth watching from the smaller One shows since the last big Tokyo boy? I saw their show today was titled AGE OF DRAGONS. Cooooool!

Since the Tokyo shows, I thought last night's show had the weakest lineup but it ended up being the best main card in awhile. I would recommend watching everything from the main card on ( Miado - Tao ).

As @AA484 mentioned, a LHW kickboxing title in 4oz gloves was pretty crazy.

Aside from that, nothing has really stood out. Pacio defended the Strawweight title last week or the week before against one of the Catalan brothers but that was pretty much the squash I expected it to be.

• Thanks 1

Khbabez was in the co-main, you mean Ennahachi and I agree. Frenetic pace for most of the fight, as you'd expect for flyweights. Like I said above, I think that whole main card was worth a watch.

Edit : Just to add, next week's show in Singapore is another weak one but it is headlined by the rare Thai v. Thai title fight outside of the stadiums. Once again, I'll just scratch my head at One's decision to have both Lees fight in Japan...

Edited by Setsuna

Miao/Miado is insanity. Those submission attempts and the overall grappling were done at such a great speed. Both the armbar and choke looked very close. Not a lot of rolling armbar attempts these days. Then the FLYING KNEE clean KO where you can actually see Miao's eyes roll back in his head. One of my favourite fights of the year!

My bad for starting this conversation in the wrong thread, btw. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Setsuna said:

Khbabez was in the co-main, you mean Ennahachi and I agree. Frenetic pace for most of the fight, as you'd expect for flyweights. Like I said above, I think that whole main card was worth a watch.

Edit : Just to add, next week's show in Singapore is another weak one but it is headlined by the rare Thai v. Thai title fight outside of the stadiums. Once again, I'll just scratch my head at One's decision to have both Lees fight in Japan...

Yes, sorry.

On 11/14/2019 at 6:20 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I wouldn't call any of Lawler's fights during that time robberies. I don't recall being pissed at any of those decisions.

With Benson, I think he spent so much time fucking with his hair and doing the absolute bare minimum in a round that if his opponent did anything, you can argue that Benson lost that round. He could have a dominant performance like he did against Nate or he just does very little like he did against Josh Thomson. 

I wasn't pissed at Lawler beating Hendricks or Benson vs. Melendez/Thomson. I was with the judges who scored Lawler over Condit and Bendo over Edgar in the rematch. Lawler/Condit was close but I felt Condit was clearly the victor. Bendo/Edgar 2 was definitely a robbery, 49-46 to the Answer. One of the worst decisions I've ever seen. That fight did have consequences, Edgar leaving the Lightweight division.

On 11/14/2019 at 6:25 PM, supremebve said:

Leonard Garcia...case closed.  

On 11/14/2019 at 6:49 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Some of the wins (or gifts) Leonard Garcia got are on par with some of the worst boxing robberies.

Chan Sung Jung 1 and Nam Phan 1. Jung got sweet sweet revenge with the only Twister in UFC history in the final second of the second round. Talking about Jung and Edgar, shame that fight didn't happen as Edgar pulled out with injury.

Just now, jaedmc said:

Kinda bummed it didn't work out better for him. Hoped he'd be able to give it just one more go, but the way he was talking after the Maia fight this just makes sense.

I will say this...you won't ever forget his three UFC fights.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I will say this...you won't ever forget his three UFC fights.

Certainly won't. Robbie Lawler fucking slams Funky and hits him with punches, I thought he was briefly out from them. Askern wins is controversial via Bulldog Choke. Ben Askren is then rendered stiff by Jorge Masvidal's running knee with nasty punches while KTFO in the UFC's fastest ever KO. In what turned out to be his final UFC fight, Funky is choked out by Demian Maia's rear naked choke. I hoped he'd have another fight but he's taken a lot of damage in those first two.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The commission would overturn that, right? Great shit though. Should've ran the fuck out of the cage the second he got the finish like a proper territorial era heel.

That fight is an amateur fight in Maine in 2017 and the guy still has the win on his record so that lets you know all you need to know about regulation in Maine.

Also, it looks like this referee just plain sucks period to the point where he not only misses taps (thus giving us the MMA equivalent of a visual pinfall) but he makes them up altogether even when the submission isn't in too.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Haha 1

I mean without Ben Askren being in the UFC, you don't get Masvidal becoming this huge breakout star in 2019 all of the sudden. 

That said, I still wish Askren got a shot earlier in his career. Maybe he turns out to be Jake Shields-lite, but I think he would've been a little more competitive.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I mean without Ben Askren being in the UFC, you don't get Masvidal becoming this huge breakout star in 2019 all of the sudden. 

That said, I still wish Askren got a shot earlier in his career. Maybe he turns out to be Jake Shields-lite, but I think he would've been a little more competitive.

I still think Askren got a raw deal when Bellator didn't keep him. That was always weird to me. You have a dominant champion, and you just let him go like he went sub .500 in the organization. I just don't get him chasing the GSP fight because there was no  way GSP was gonna fight him. I think had he came earlier instead of retiring the first time, he was still going to get some tough matchups. To me, Askren coming to the UFC when he did felt like 2007 all over to me when all the PRIDE FC guys (although Rampage was  technically WFA more than PRIDE but you get the point) came and you really wanted to see how they would do. Even though he probably wasn't at his physical peak, we got to read that chapter and have some type of closure unlike a Fedor who to me at least always needed that and will never get it now.

• Like 1

Love these kinds of videos. Out of those, I most reacted to Jorge Masvidal's all time KTFO on Ben Askren making Funky stiff as a board and Amanda Nunes smashing Cyborg. Almost woke my Dad and Sister up with those because UFC USA main cards start at 3am in the fucking morning UK time.

Edited by The Natural